Sign in to follow this  
fajw

Installing Windows from a USb flash drive

I want to install (all current versions of) Windows from a USB flash drive. I have noticed there seem to be multiple ways of doing it. What is the best way? Is it possible to have the option of multiple versions using the one flash drive or do you need a different flash drive for each version? Thanks.

Different drive for each version is needed dude.

Best way to do it? What ever way suits you best.

The Windows7 USB/DVD tool is ok but is very particular about the ISOs it uses ( or the names of the ISOs).

I have used it a few times and it seems to do the job.

There used to be all-in-one install options for XP. I'd be surprised if there's still not a way - but I'm not sure if you want Windows 7, 8, and 8.1, or just Home/Pro options for a specific release.

Posted Image

I like to build a USB with lots of tools, Live CD Linux, Repair DVD tools and Installers for Windows 7,8 and Linux

YUMMI is my goto tool. I might mention shorten the ISO names and all lower case. that's been an issue for me in the past.

Even takes to the download site for Linux Distros etc.

1. One USB you want to WIPE

2. Download and install YUMMI (no install just run it)

3. Wipe the drive for the first write (tick box)

4. Add more ISO file, linux, repair tools whatever.

5. Boot USB and choose from the menu.

NOTE: Its Slower to boot ISO's this way than Windows 7 DVD Tool but I like a lot of tools on a USB 32GB etc

Linky http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

Edited by gunny

It seems I'm late to the party, but for what it's worth in case someone else googles this:

If you're installing windows XP, use the WinToFlash tool. It tries to install shit on your system FYI, make sure you untick the toolbars etc.

If you're going windows 7 or 8, there is a tool provided by microsoft for writing the ISO's to thumb drives. If I remember correctly from the last time I used it, this tool does not by default come with a specific piece of software needed to write the boot sector to the drive (heavens knows why).

Try writing the ISO to it. If it gets right to the end of the process and then complains about boot loaders, search the error and you'll find whatever it wants with little difficulty.

If you want to install windows 98 or NT from a thumb drive...you're on your own.

Edited by Sir_Substance