te0p

New magazine idea utilising Atomic..

Yeah, when you have rep in techie sections it'll generally get used by fanboys and ignored by others. Same considerations apply to 'Like' button I believe. I'd not want to see that in place either. Forums aren't Facebook.

PCPP has a 'Rate thread' feature enabled, by the way. Hardly ever gets used, doesn't give any indication whatsoever of thread value when it does, and it's only there coz the Next people set up the configuration there with little to no understanding of how forums work and what they might need. (And I forgot to mention it when I last contacted them to get some overdue stuff sorted out)

Very good points, maybe rep is not a good idea... Thread likes might be better or maybe not at all... never really used it before just from browsing I did see when searching for answers before

+rep to all of you hahaha! (yea could get carried away)

We sort of have rep on here, but I'm not sure anyone ever took it seriously - if they even noticed it, tucked away on profile pages.

I definitely like that IPB4 has the ability to 'like' a post. Might make it easier to see when people are reading something but have nothing they feel they can contirbute, other than a basic 'kudos' or '+1'?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. Apparently we don't do profiles anymore, though, so it's little wonder :-)

I too am interested in the 'like' feature... I'm undecided. It could be useful, especially as you say in such situations where people don't have anything else to add except +1. I like that as an option. Or it could be like our profiles - get massive use the first few months then die out. Or it could just be an annoying feature that gets spammed. If it gets spammed, we can turn it off :-p If it dies out then no harm done. And if it actually becomes useful, then I guess that's a bonus :-) So yeah, I'm not sure which way it will fall... although I know from experience, when we upgraded to this forum software we all went nuts for months clicking on things and annoying each other, so I have little reason to believe it wouldn't happen again :-p

I don't like the facebook connotation of the 'like', but I like the functionality. It can be tedious scrolling through a bunch of fairly generic 'thanks!' or '+1' posts, and equally tedious to read through some really quality stuff, and it just dies because people enjoy reading it, but don't feel like they can contribute to that particular conversation - and are self-conscious of posting a 'thanks for making this enjoyable read, oh shit I just killed the flow/thread' comment.

At the end of the day, it means whatever the user clicking it wants it to mean, which is fairly ambiguous, but what's the real worry about the feature? Someone will try and use it as proof that they have a bigger dick to throw around? If it is literally used in a fanboish way, it at least gives a rough idea of who agrees with certain lines of thought.

Someone will try and use it as proof that they have a bigger dick to throw around?

I don't think that's supposed to be detachable, dude...

edit: I mean, +1

edit: shit, am I doing this right??

:-p

Edited by elvenwhore

Wait... now you're shitting on me?

I... don't know how comfortable I am about this in public.

[Disclaimer] ...I will live regardless ... [/ Disclaimer]

I'm wondering why it should matter who or how many agree with " lines of thought ". Unless of course it's a poll thread of course.

I though the idea here was to keep the atomic forum happening, so a thread with only a small number of posts but heaps of " likes ", is that

really the winning solution ? I though it was about conversations / discussions / arguments / and such.

* cough * atm, people have to post their " like " ... I like this * cough * :)

Yes, but are they posting it? I don't actually know myself, just curious because even I struggle to do it. If I feel I can't actively contribute to a thread other than to say, "wow, that's cool, I like that" then I don't do it. I guess there's just a couple of different ways to look at things, and they both seem rather evenly matched :-) I even remember the days when this feature was screamed for :-)

Would love to hear more suggestions about things people want to see happening in new forums, though, even seemingly small things such as +1's and reps :-)

Well some do still post their like of a post or thread, occasionally. These days I wonder if it's that those that " don't like " are the ones

more apt to not bother with posting .

I will admit to clicking the " like " on some comments of articles I've read on the ABC news site.

It's not that I'm adverse to the concept, it's just that I wonder if it will inspire more actual comment ...is all. I think it's cool that there are those that

will go away and grab a " thumb's up " pic and post it .That shows real commitment :)

Yes, but are they posting it? I don't actually know myself, just curious because even I struggle to do it. If I feel I can't actively contribute to a thread other than to say, "wow, that's cool, I like that" then I don't do it.

Same here, mostly. Sometimes I will just drop in a "+1" post, but that's pretty rare. And if a thread is really interesting reading, but I can't comment on any side's argument, I probably won't say anything at all.

I realise the potential for misuse of +rep and +thread is pretty huge, but if they're used in the spirit in which they're intended, they do address both those issues.

And I seem to remember this same argument being had when the user "star" ratings appeared on profiles. Nothing much happened, and then they were forgotten. This place is not reddit.

I hate to mention it (since technically I was the cause of it) but the star ratings on threads was really well accepted and liked by many except for how FUGLY they made the forums.

People liked they idea of being able to rate threads to show "good" ones.

The only downside was the 2 bit stars we had.

That kind of system, which doesn't destroy the look of the forum, would be good rather than a like I think.

Yeah?

At PCPP, where Next peeps configured the install and left Thread Rating enabled, it's been in place for about the past 3 years or so. Vast majority of threads don't have a rating on display. Those few threads (usually lengthy, longstanding ones) who do have a rating on display are usually depicted as '5 star'. and when you check further on the thread rating you find they're invariably the result of one or two people having a play.

I often see similar elsewhere, where I see thread rating in place. I reckon that when peeps want to 'Like' or 'Rate' stuff they go to Facebook or somesuch, not forums :)

^

That's "..which do have..." not "...who do have...". How do peeps edit posts to correct typos/errors on this forum?

That's "..which do have..." not "...who do have...". How do peeps edit posts to correct typos/errors on this forum?

There's a button marked "+Edit" on your own posts - below the text box, and to the right. Not anyone else's, and not when replying - just posts you have already made. Edited by Cybes

If you don't see the "edit" button on the bottom right of your posts Cat, let me know and I'll have a squizzy at which member group you are in. There may be a minor glitch if you were put in the wrong group. :)

And I seem to remember this same argument being had when the user "star" ratings appeared on profiles. Nothing much happened, and then they were forgotten. This place is not reddit.

It's useful on reddit because you can filter based on votes, rather than chronologically. AFAIK you can't do that here. Not to say it couldn't be useful here (a +1), but rather, it couldn't be abused in the same way.

Let one of us know if it happens to be due to your browser.

Let me know if it shows up, now.

Or, you know, doesn't. Either way.

Well... that'd depend on who you spoke to around here, and who's paying attention!

And if we do merge, then we can ALL just hate OCAU together :P

But I love OCAU :P

OCAU is only good for the trade forums (they have great stuff on there) and the benching team are the 2 main things I joined for. Some good info can be taken from all different threads but generally I don't feel a community spirt like I do on a atomic..this is why atomic is my home forum..cause you guys/girls rock and are full of awesomeness and all that.

Good points in this thread.

Also just an idea but when will atomic be getting tapatalk functionally?

Tapatalk isn't going to even be a consideration until the forum software changes.

Yeah?

At PCPP, where Next peeps configured the install and left Thread Rating enabled, it's been in place for about the past 3 years or so. Vast majority of threads don't have a rating on display. Those few threads (usually lengthy, longstanding ones) who do have a rating on display are usually depicted as '5 star'. and when you check further on the thread rating you find they're invariably the result of one or two people having a play.

I often see similar elsewhere, where I see thread rating in place. I reckon that when peeps want to 'Like' or 'Rate' stuff they go to Facebook or somesuch, not forums :)

^

Isnt that a result of your user base though? We here are a little 'nazi' on community.

If the community likes it, and a group decides to actively ignore it (and for some reason mentions it?) they'll get a talking to :P

Also, its bad form, showing the members arent taking time to 'look after' their own forum.

Thats what the At0mic forum does different; even the non mods are part of 'keeping this place running' be it rankings, comments, RTM's, or even guidance for noobs. Stuff often left to mods on other forums.

If people arent using the ratings right; smack em!

OCAU is only good for the trade forums (they have great stuff on there) and the benching team are the 2 main things I joined for. Some good info can be taken from all different threads but generally I don't feel a community spirt like I do on a atomic..this is why atomic is my home forum..cause you guys/girls rock and are full of awesomeness and all that.

Yet you still dont come and see us in person. Pseudo love.

Tapatalk isn't going to even be a consideration until the forum software changes.

And it seems to work fine in blackberry browser as it is.... dunno about other phones systems though.

And if we do merge, then we can ALL just hate OCAU together :P

But I love OCAU :P

Posted Image

Isnt that a result of your user base though? We here are a little 'nazi' on community.

If the community likes it, and a group decides to actively ignore it (and for some reason mentions it?) they'll get a talking to :P

Also, its bad form, showing the members arent taking time to 'look after' their own forum.

Thats what the At0mic forum does different; even the non mods are part of 'keeping this place running' be it rankings, comments, RTM's, or even guidance for noobs. Stuff often left to mods on other forums.

If people arent using the ratings right; smack em!

Nah, the "thread rating" thingy has zilch to do with the user base and everything to do with shitty software configuration. No point leaving a feature enabled that people aren't gonna use, and you can't compel people to use a feature they've no real interest in.

'Thread rating' is better suited to different types of forums. Most notably, imo, those forums where peeps sign up to 'get advice from experts' rather than to participate in banter and discussion. Way more likely in such circumstances to see thread rating system used to indicate relative 'value' of certain threads. On a forum like this or PCPP it's really just a toy that a scant few folk will fiddle with now and then.

By the way. It's a misconception to think that this forum is more heavily moderated than PCPP. In some respects it is, in others it's not. Broadly speaking the guidelines and moderating approaches are quite similar, but they defs differ with respect to how some objectives are put into practice. And I reckon it'd be a shoe-in that I've had "Nazi" thrown at me more times over the years than all the mods here combined :-D

Edit: We'd smack you severely for that page-stretching pic, for starters! LOL

Edited by Catweazle

Alternative way to rate threads is their view count, especially relative to post count.