Sign in to follow this  
atosniper

Installing Linux over XP?

I have an old XP machine that I was just going to ditch but then I thought I might install Linux.

Do I need to delete everything from my machine first before installing Linux? I was originally going to run DBAN on the XP before ditching it. Should I still do this, then install Linux? Or can I just install Linux over XP, which effectively deletes XP anyway?

Thanks

Depends on the installer your version of linux uses.

If its a Ubuntu (or variant) it says quite simply in english "erase whole drive and install ubuntu"

Ubuntu flavours (for an older pc i recommend Lubuntu or Xubuntu) have options to fully overwrite, and dual boot, in the installer. Both lubuntu and xubuntu look similar to windows xp, plus xubuntu has a windows 7 style start menu you can install. Both will release long term support versions in april, which can be upgraded too fairly easily.

The great majority of installable Linux distros will allow you repartition and format the entire hard drive during the install process.

If you're concerned atosniper use gparted or another disk partitioning utility to re-partition and reformat the whole drive before you start.