Sign in to follow this  
nobody813

Which card(s) would you use?

Hey guys. Been a while since I've posted a new thread on these forums, so I thought it was about time :-P

Any way, in the last week my GTX 570 was taken out by an RMA PSU, which I'm rather annoyed at. For a while after I was using my integrated graphics, until recently getting my old HD 5870 off a mate. Around the same time, another mate offered to lend/sell me one of his old graphics cards, which has left me wondering what to do. Below are the options I have:

- HD 5870 (own)

- GTX 480 (mates, lend/buy)

- HD 5970 (mates, lend/buy)

- GTX 760 (mates, very slim chance of buying if he upgrades from SLI GTX 760's to a GTX 780/Ti)

The other option I have is to swap my HD 5870 for my sisters GTX 460, and SLI that with the one I have in my currently dismantled spare rig

What would you do?

Cheers

I'd probably go the GTX760 just because its newer and its not a dual card, but thats just me. Without looking at benchmarks I'd hazard a guess that the 5970 would be a bit faster than the GTX760 (Its been a long time since I've looked at card benches, so forgive me if I'm wrong) but the GTX760 will be without the hassle of Crossfire bugs and poor scaling.

I think the 5970 isn't supported with the newest drivers either so you're probably best going with the GTX760. Although, I did mention that you should just scalp all the cards, sell on eBay and just get a proper card.

well the 5870 isnt all that far behind the gtx570\gtx480 which are much the same really

except the 480 is hotter\louder and has more overclocking headroom

pair the 5970 with your 5870 for trifire will give you the most performance by far but also the most driver problems

Interesting ideas. Unfortunately the GTX 760 idea is on hold for now, but I've been loaned a GTX 480 and HD 5970 so I can see what works best

Not sure if I'll be able to try trifire though, as I doubt my PSU is up to it

i would probably got he gtx480 simply because it has the most vram at 1.5g where as the 5970 is only 1g per gpu and the 570 is 1280mb

Edited by Dasa

i would probably got he gtx480 simply because it has the most vram at 1.5g where as the 5970 is only 1g per gpu and the 570 is 1280mb

Yeah, fair point. I found a few games I play ran better on the GTX 570 over the HD 5870 just because of the vram. Will try them all though just for fun, as it'll be cool to do some benching again :-P

If I have to go to Queenstown tomorrow (50/50 atm) I could probably lend you a stock GTX 670 for a while.

If I have to go to Queenstown tomorrow (50/50 atm) I could probably lend you a stock GTX 670 for a while.

WHAT? That'd probably be a bad idea, as I'd want to buy it off you then :-P