Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
noskcaj

Internet upgrade question

Is it possible to get adsl2, fibre, or cable custom installed? I'm currently on standard ADSL, with frequent dropouts and ping spikes, shared between 7 people. (Dangarsleigh exchage if that affects anything)

(Dangarsleigh exchage if that affects anything)

Is that Dangarsleigh near Armidale in northern NSW? Coz (although I'm unfamiliar with that area) if it is then fibre and cable are likely not gonna be an option, and any decent service from ADSL2 might not be either. If, that is, that region is similar to many other such regions in rural Australia. A separate ADSL service would need a second landline to carry it, so if that's not available it's an additional cost to consider.

For many peeps in rural Oz, wireless is the best option available. IF there are towers nearby which can get a signal to you.

I'm damned pleased that home base is in town, where I get a very decent ADSL2 service. If I cruise 20 minutes out of town to visit family or go work/play somewhere, I'm in areas where anything other than wireless internet is a fantasy.

Same thing, Master_Scythe. For premises where 2 pairs of wires already exist (most existing premises) you're only avoiding the cost of running an additional cable from premises to junction. It's still gonna be a 'second landline', with it's own separate number and rental cost/whatever. A 'customer telephone line' is the circuit, not just the cable.

Best bet is to check some ISP pages - some have a facility where you enter your phone # and it'll tell you if ADSL2+ is available from that exchange.

Unsure if it's still the case but there was a time when the DSLAMs were rationed so some got good service and others didn't.

Another option is try another modem or see if a firmware update is available for the one you've got.

I got another one recently because the one I've had for years was crapping itself - after refusing to connect I put an update on that actually has TPG as the reason for the upgrade - my connection seems more reliable and I'm actually getting near 50% better peak speed on ADSL2+

Same thing, Master_Scythe. For premises where 2 pairs of wires already exist (most existing premises) you're only avoiding the cost of running an additional cable from premises to junction. It's still gonna be a 'second landline', with it's own separate number and rental cost/whatever. A 'customer telephone line' is the circuit, not just the cable.

Naked :)

It could also be an ISP issue (as unlikley as it is), a year a ago i was with Eftel (clubtelco/aanet) who gave us a ADSL1 max (800kb/s max).

Anyway we changed to ANT (ausnomadtech) who can provide us with ADSL2+ (we regularly hit 2.2mb/s now), also now we are with ANT all dealings with humans are Australians from NSW not some O/S idjit.

Don't forget your distance from the local exchange. Take a straight-line distance and double it to assume the actual cabling distance.

There should be plenty of tables around that give a graph of what sort of speeds you can expect for a given distance.

I don't think ADSL2 is available, and wireless wouldn't work for how much data we use.

Best bet then is to try and clean up the local signal. Minimise the amount of gear on the phone line, possibly try new line filter/s.

Try changing the phone plugs/cables, put the modem somewhere where EM interference is less likely.

Even the electrical circuit the modem draws power from might cause problems, generally a house will have at least 2, if it's sharing with e.g. a fridge or washing machine then that could be a trouble source.

According to http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/viewexcha...p?Exchange=DGSH your exchange has both ADSL and ADSL 2+ ports.

Put your full address in to that web site and click on the little blue pointer to get the results

EG

You are 3164 m from DGSH as the crow flies.

Estimated cable length of 3796.8 m.

Estimated speed of 2000

Also post your modem sync, attenuation and SNR stats (should be somewhere in the modem interface).

I'm on the very edge of the exchange's area.

I think we've got the line split a few times, plus i'll try and call telstra.

noskcaj, from your descriptions I'd think it very, very likely that ADSL2 would give you (in itself) little to no improvement over ADSL, to be quite honest. Methinks it'd be best to more closely examine the installation and usages you have in place there, with a mind to maximising the efficiency of what you have in place. And also to consider the possibility of adding a second line (be it Naked DSL or shared with PSTN service).

The "7 people" you mention who are sharing? Is that family home? Workplace? Peeps in a house share or somesuch?

Rybags comments above are essential starting points for ensuring that you are maximising the reliability and efficiency of the service you have, but there's only so far you can effectively go with that. Ultimately, it comes down to the people involved. And each dynamic of household/premises group of people has its own set of problems. It can be really difficult to get a group of people all exercising self-discipline and restraint to ensure that each is not unduly inconvenienced.

Also post your modem sync, attenuation and SNR stats (should be somewhere in the modem interface).

I'll try. The modem (netgear dgnd3700) won't let me look at the info over wifi, and my desktop is broken.

Where would i find the info though

Edited by noskcaj

Ok you are definitely on an ADSL 1 port but with an attenuation of 42.5dB you are not going to gain anything download speed wise even if you could get ADSL 2+. ADSL 2+ would give you a faster upload though, up to 1Mbit up.

Your only option then would be to get a second phone and ADSL service provisioned on a second wire pair and get some users to use one connection and some to use the other. You would also have to hope like hell that provisioning a second service does not cause too much crosstalk or interference which affects the first service.

It will also double your costs of course.

.. or you could move to an area where better internet service is available :)

Well armidale (10 km away) has the nbn, but my parents want to stay here.

I'll see how hard it is to get dual line or adsl2. Would those places listing adsl2 actually have it, since telstra doesn't?

That comment was only really made as an attempt to inject a bit of wry humour, noskcaj.

On a more serious note, unless your family/household income can accommodate the additional cost of another line and internet service, you're pretty much going to have to learn to put up with what you already have, because it's already as good as you're going to get. As aliali pointed out to you, the strength of your existing connection isn't good enough for ADSL2 to be able to give you any better connection speed than what you have now. Only way to improve the service there is to pay for two lines and two internet services, instead of paying for one of each.

So, basically:

What's the household paying now, for line rental plus ISP internet plan?

Double that figure.

Can the household afford to pay that much for internet?

If the answer to that is "No" then forget about it, put up with what you already have, and look forward to the day when you're living independently, somewhere else where there's better service available.

try with exetel.

Used to have a $100 anytime contract break. Which was a great relief.

Also, $60 a month for 200GB, with phone line included.

You're on 8mb though. Your upload is kinda crap, but really, ADSL1 usualy has nicer pings than 2. What is it thats bothering you specifically? maybe we can attack the services that go wrong, as opposed to the connection as a whole?

Catweazle: I know it was a joke. we can't get dual line anyway.

MS: SpinTel and EscapeNet are the only listed options. Better uploads would at least fix some issues, especially trying to upload code for ubuntu,