Chaos.Lady

Roll Call!

How long ago did you join Atomic forums?  

238 members have voted

1. 1. It doesn't have to be exact, just an estimate is okay!

• Less than 3 months
    • Less than 6 months
    • Less than 1 year
    • Somewhere from 1 year to 3 years
    • Somewhere from 3 years to 5 years
    • Over 5 years
    • Over 10 years

Okay, so I was wondering (due to a discussion in another thread - http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=55689) about the general length of membership of our currently active members.

UUrrrghghghgh. So I created a poll .

Anywho... please let me know how long you have been around the traps here. :)

C'mon all. Neeeeeeeeeeed stats! :)

Edited by Chaos.Lady
  • Like 1

I was here after issue #3 as someone else...left after a while. but came back now and then.

Then i came back, and just call in for advice on tech, check out games section. check out the offf topic.

I remember when a topic would be lucky to last on the front page for 24hours.. now you an come back a week later and it is still there.

Facebook has ruined alot of the traditional forums i believe. It used to be good, Go to a car forum.. talk about that car, new guys come in and ask questions.. now they just go to facebook. Where things are presented shittly.

Golly I think my 5th anniversary is a few days away.

edit: yep the 19th Feb.

Edited by eveln

I signed up on the first Atomic Live day. Can't remember the date exactly, but it's definitely been over 7 years since I've signed up.

Been here since the start(ish, joined at issue 5), although I started out under a different account name :-)

Been lurking here on and off since issue #1. I didn't sign up and post until shortly about the time of the site redesign after the 'green code' period.

Oo - longer than I thought. First post. Still selected the right poll option, though.

Edited by Cybes

July 01 is the first post of mine I can find in the archive. Around about issue 5 IIRC. Mind you I've disappeared and came back three or for times.

I'm not actually sure. This account is my second (after a password snafu) and was created in 2008, so I've put 5+ years. It might be 10 though.

I joined back when you needed to subscribe to the magazine to post in the green room, but despite subscribing I could never get that to work so mostly I stuck to tech talk and (pc) gaming.

[edit]: At least my account page says that it was created in September 2008, but it seems that all of the old accounts say that. Must have been one of the server migrations. Now that I think about it, it probably was more than 10 years ago, but only by a year or two. Unfortunately I can't seem to change my vote in that poll.

Edited by DaCraw

From the archives my first post (using a different handle) was in January '05 but I must have been lurking before that for more than a couple of years.

Didn't vote, coz I've never been 'active' here, but just did a check and a calculate and I reckon my membership here must date back about 10 years. Only ever made just a few posts, lost my login details early during a machine makeover and never got around to reclaiming it. I've read quite a lot of threads here over the years, as a guest visitor though. Just ain't possible to maintain active interaction at every forum you come across and find interesting content at.

Edit: Oh!

I joined back when you needed to subscribe to the magazine to post in the green room

I defs joined before that! (Unless I'm mistaken and it's some other subscription-related thingy I'm thinking about.)

Edited by Catweazle

Very early on, probably issue 2. g__day was one of maybe 2 or 3 Heroes around.

Can't quite remember the order, but from Canberra it was either Tin Reaper or Access Denied who was the first of the regulars with me in the middle of the 2... the old user# system gave a good idea of when people joined but now it's all over the place.

Shows how much this joint's slowed down... I've averaged maybe 1 or 2 posts a day in the last 9 months or so, went a while where it was maybe a few a week - but I still appear in the Top 15 all-time posters.

Edited by Rybags

I have always had a thought that the forums where around long before the First Issue. It was the forums that launched the First Issue.

Was a Lurker for many years ,until the last 4 years i became active.

I have always had a thought that the forums where around long before the First Issue. It was the forums that launched the First Issue.

Was a Lurker for many years ,until the last 4 years i became active.

Nope. The forums were launched the same day as the mag IIRC. :)

I remember talking to Ben at a forum just before he left PCPP and came to Atomic where he mentioned something was in the wind, then buying issue 1 in Melb Airport and seeing Ben was the editor. I lost the magazine on the plane and but liked it so much I bought a second issue at Sydney airport before I went home. Was hooked from there.

Not sure but I think the forums were about 2-3 weeks old when I joined - from memory there were around 20-30 people posting then - the Green Room had about 3 pages of content then tops! Rybags, Tom, Mael, Phat Dixx, The Dude, Madeline and Potato Cake (and a alot of others) were huge fun back then, and IRC was a always a blast too! The crowd has always been replenished by interesting, helpful people!

• Like 1

Some time in 2002 I think. I know I wrote a body building / weight training post in 2003 and I'd been a member for ages before that. I spent the first 6 months at least in programming. When I signed up programming had recently been created.

from memory there were around 20-30 people posting then

So about the same as now? :p

I was an Overlord near the end of 2002

Edited by kikz

Kinda funny... early on the forums were real buggy and downtime was fairly regular.

I think I took about a year to hit 1,000 posts. And that Immortal required some relatively pissy amount - 10,000 ???

Dunno. A good long while I reckon.

Edit:

Apparently almost 9 years. I guess that qualifies as a good long while. That's from first post date. Same user name, same avatar.

I would have been lurking and reading for a while before then, so I imagine close to if not over 10 years if you count the lurking period. I rarely engage in social conversations unless prodded.

Edited by GhostWhoWalks

I went back in the archive and saw a few posts from me back in 2003. Has it really been that long lol.

Edited by smakme7757

My profile informs me that I've been a member since September 08, I have from issue #40 (May '04) of the mag and would assume that I've been on the forums since around then. I'll say 5+ years, I tend to lurk and only post if I think I've got something constructive to offer.