Chaos.Lady

Roll Call!

How long ago did you join Atomic forums?  

238 members have voted

1. 1. It doesn't have to be exact, just an estimate is okay!

• Less than 3 months
    • Less than 6 months
    • Less than 1 year
    • Somewhere from 1 year to 3 years
    • Somewhere from 3 years to 5 years
    • Over 5 years
    • Over 10 years

Wow. Okay, so my comment was that many of our posters have been here more than 3 years and many of those more than 5 - apparently I was being conservative!!!

Apparently most of our active posters have been here a LOOOOONG time! :)

Yeah, over a decade, can't be bothered looking in the archives but late 2002 I would think.

Cheers

Kinda funny... early on the forums were real buggy and downtime was fairly regular.

Didn't take long to work out if you hit 'show all threads on single page', it'd crash the server. <.>

Wow... Time really flies

2008 join date

My profile informs me that I've been a member since September 08

Profiles will only show accurate dates if you joined from 2009 onwards. Everyone else migrated from the old custom forum to IPB was given the same join date (it never used to be tracked, so there was nothing to import)

scruffy: The page is a lie.

I'm 6yrs as well on the info page.

That's just when we came across to Atomic V(potato). Not the original V1 or V2.

AD

Bought the first issue just before I bought my first computer what a beast it was with a 750Mhz Duron hehehe .

Signed on to Atomic maybe several weeks after the forum got rolling properly.

This the oldest post of mine I could find http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp...mp;t=523&h= , It says 1000 posts and I am immortal but my rank is champion hehe rank thresholds were changed a number of times, I have been a guru three times now hehehe.

Edited by Waltish

Started reading the mag in late 01.

Joined the forums in 2003 but never posted for a hell of a long time.

Wow. Okay, so my comment was that many of our posters have been here more than 3 years and many of those more than 5 - apparently I was being conservative!!!

Apparently most of our active posters have been here a LOOOOONG time! :)

Kinda endorses the comments I was making about the forums being stagnant/inactive, Chaos.Lady. This has kinda surprised me, to be honest. At PCPP, although newer 'active' arrivals are rather rare, there are defs some of the current crop of regulars who have shown up during the past year or two.

But gotta take it with a grain of salt too. There'll doubtless be some peeps who just "don't do" polls. There'll doubtless be some peeps responding who are actually way, way more 'reader' than 'contributor'. But it should be a concern. Coz attracting new peeps in is kinda like breathing for a forum. Let it stop and you're gonna end up dead.

I've notice pretty much the same handful of people, maybe 20 or so, contribute to the vast majority of content to the vast majority of threads. The tech sections barely move anymore.

This poll about lines up with my gut feel for how many people are actually posting, and who they are.

But gotta take it with a grain of salt too. There'll doubtless be some peeps who just "don't do" polls. There'll doubtless be some peeps responding who are actually way, way more 'reader' than 'contributor'. But it should be a concern. Coz attracting new peeps in is kinda like breathing for a forum. Let it stop and you're gonna end up dead.

Yep, I absolutely agree with you catweazle. And I agree that this result may be a tiny bit skewed by those factors. However the results ARE surprising and I agree, they should be of concern.

I've felt for a long time that we had a very strong and loyal community of posters and regulars but I never realised just how loyal they were. :) And the complete lack of response below 3 years astounds me. I never realised it had gotten quite that bad here.

Edited by Chaos.Lady

10 years or so I think.

Been a while but I can't seem to leave...but also can't seem to find the level of interest to post much either.

Full-time offline lurker these days.

• Like 1

Hmm,

New blood has been a rarity for quite a while, three years doesn't really surprise me much. Every now and again a seemingly new name appears then you notice they actually have a number of posts. Presumably lurkers or long-time absentees.

Cheers

I've felt for a long time that we had a very strong and loyal community of posters and regulars but I never realised just how loyal they were. :) And the complete lack of response below 3 years astounds me. I never realised it had gotten quite that bad here.

Not only is the sub three year block of users - who responded to the poll - zero. But the ten year and above block of users is dwindling. Through my binoculars I can see the event horizon.

We should rename the forums to http://forums.blackholempc.com.au :P

Not only is the sub three year block of users - who responded to the poll - zero. But the ten year and above block of users is dwindling. Through my binoculars I can see the event horizon.

Would be interesting to see who makes the most posts and if they still active on the forums. May be a list of posters and post counts.

But i can feel these forums getting smaller in size too. One thing i like about these forums is its more mature in the way we post things ,well except on certain issues.

Edited by codecreeper

Would be interesting to see who makes the most posts and if they still active on the forums. May be a list of posters and post counts.

But i can feel these forums getting smaller in size too. One thing i like about these forums is its more mature in the way we post things ,well except on certain issues.

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?act=Stats

I bought my first issue around September 2001 and joined the forums a couple of months later.

Went through what seems a not particularly rare forum lifecycle, of starting with 90:10% tech:chat, heavily involved, then migrating through tech sections after a few years of each tech section having the same topics for Q&A, and then end up 10:90% tech:green, with the level of attendence going up and down.

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?act=Stats

And Twinny wins @ most posts :)