ChildofChaos

Starbound: My Review

As you may have heard, a new game has joined the line of survival games. The latest is called starbound, based off of terraria, based off of minecraft, based off of castle miner; if anyone knows what that game is. I won’t judge. Anyway, I decided to give my opinion on it. Also, this is my first go at a game review, so please give me an opinion at the end on what I should do better and enjoy.

Starting the game gives you the option of playing 6 types of species of… um, people? The Humans, Avians, Apexes, Florans, Hylotls and Glitches, each which can be chosen to be a male or female. For my single player campaign, I chose a male glitch. Plus the game has sweet full customization for your character.

However, when I started the campaign, some dialogue for my first mission told me I was one of the few robots to get self-awareness and that I managed to escape the planet with little preparation. The other games didn’t say anything, and all you had to think to do was to build and learn. In here, with only this little bit of information, there were lots of questions that I needed answering. How did I end up on the space ship I was starting on? Did anyone else survive? What happened to my planet? Why was I chosen to get self-awareness? What was my previous life? Maybe it’s just the fact that I have the attention span of a child in a giant toy shop, or I just haven’t played enough of the game, but I never found the answers.

It didn’t stop there. There was a storage container on the space ship that had some sort of block destroying and placing gun (this game has the same destroy then pick-up system as terraria) a crappy sword, some torches and other stuff. Then the game told me to teleport down to the planet I was currently over. I looked around where I was, and started to chop trees down with the destroying thingamajig. The problem with it though is that I couldn’t figure out how to stop it from destroying and building things in a 2x2 square ratio. Again, it could be that I haven’t played enough of the game, but I couldn’t figure it out.

As I was playing a bunch of weird creatures with weird names, probably because this was an alpha, kept attacking me, and the only thing I could attack back with was the sword. But these god-damn “things” jump more annoyingly than angry birds if they grew legs and started taking performance enhancing drugs. They jump higher and faster than what should be allowed, and it wasn’t till a few hits later that I found out you aim by moving the mouse around. Luckily I didn’t die and I managed to build a sufficient house, as well as a crafting table and a fireplace (when I could find the fucking button that took me to crafting screen) and got set up.

It was by accident that I found the hunger bar because the game doesn’t tell you that. Or the temperature bar at the bottom. Keeping your hunger away and keeping a good temperature. How realistic! Jackasses! Anyway one of my missions was to construct a bow and go hunting, because killing things with a sword gives pixels (which I think is money, still not sure) and killing things with a bow gives meat. How the fuck does that work?!? Well, after getting some meat, I stood near the fireplace to cook the meat. But, it didn’t come up in the crafting screen. Confused, I looked it up on the internet and found out you need to press E on the fireplace to cook it. It will bring up another screen for you to cook the meat overtime and, oh for gods sake. How fucking unnecessary! Why do you need to press e on it to bring up a new screen? So the meat can cook while you do other stuff? Bullcrap! You can literally make a sandwich in the time it takes to cook 20, maybe even 30 pieces of meat! Plus the character can go at least 10 minutes without needing to eat 1 meat to get back to full un-hungry levels! I swear to god, minecraft had more realistic eating circumstances!

Well, after a couple of missions to survive, with finding chests with better weapons and making a bed (which you sleep in to regain health, other than bandages that you carry around, which you make from vines) I had to make some iron by finding ore. But I couldn’t find anything. After that I gave up and quit. If I’m going to find a needle in a desert, (Because the planet is huge by the way) I’m going to wait until my family gets it so we can play it together. This is just an alpha of starbound and it really shows. It may have great quality and graphics and an interesting idea, but the enemies are hard to kill if you don’t have the right weapon, there’s still questions that need answering to me and most of all to me, the game sometimes doesn’t tell you enough details about how to play. Have a go if you like a bit of a gaming challenge and interest, otherwise wait for the final version or play with other people. Myself? I often go back to the game despite its flaws, but like I said, I plan to play this game with my family after the metascore review comes out, if we play it at all.

Remember, this is just MY opinion, make your own if you want and check out other people, but to me, a nice little game, but I’ll wait for the final version and the metascore review.

Edited by ChildofChaos

Each race starts with a small amount of lore text, on the top right of the screen, that gives a little backstory. Not much but it's something. Other pieces of lore can be found in structures that spawn at random on planets, in chests, bookcases and other containers.

To mine a 1x1, hold shift while using the matter manipulator or a pick.

IIRC hitting Alt will bring up your current hunger meter. Temperature falls at night so stick near torches or campfires, unless you're about 100 blocks underground where the temperature is steady and safe.

Iron on tier 1 planets spawns underground, you won't find much if any on the surface. All the best ores are underground.

This is all stuff I've picked up from watching

, which is pretty fun to watch. I've yet to purchase the game as I don't really play much any more for various reasons.

As you may have heard, a new game has joined the line of survival games. The latest is called starbound, based off of terraria, based off of minecraft, based off of castle miner; if anyone knows what that game is. I won’t judge. Anyway, I decided to give my opinion on it. Also, this is my first go at a game review, so please give me an opinion at the end on what I should do better and enjoy.

Remember, this is just MY opinion, make your own if you want and check out other people, but to me, a nice little game, but I’ll wait for the final version and the metascore review.

These kinda games just aren't my cup tea , but hey that's a good write up ChildofChaos {:-)

Edited by Waltish

These kinda games just aren't my cup tea , but hey that's a good write up ChildofChaos {:-)

Thank's man! Compliment Appreciated!

Edited by ChildofChaos

I woke up one day to see it'd been gifted to me. I think I spent maybe 15 minutes playing it, seeing what I could grok without reading any manuals or faqs or wikis. Not a whole lot. Not that I hold it against the game - I decided I'd rather go back to playing terraria, when I feel like playing that kind of game, and wait until Starbound is at least into mid-beta so that saves are no longer wiped and there's a little more balance.

Good review kid. Gave nice info about the game while showing how you felt about it.

Although a little too much swearing for me to approve. ;)

Looks like it might be a fun game once it gets close to release version. Sounds like it's in desperate need of a tute though.

This was another game my friend Kasper recommended to me, and after scoffing at his recommendation of Teraria and being thoroughly and pleasantly surprised by what that little pixelated world had to offer, I jumped online and purchased Starbound as soon as I had the cash :D I won't pretend this game is easily, it's actually a bit of a challenge when getting started, but once you've got it all down pat then it becomes one of the most awesome games in existence :D For me it blows Minecraft and Teraria WAYYYYY out of the water :D and the best part? They just keep adding awesome stuff to it ^_^