Sign in to follow this  
ReapermanRS

Speedtest.net

So I've been having terrible internet problems for the last few days which after an hour talking to Telstra I've managed to sort out, long story short had a dodgy line filter that was cutting over 3mbps off of my speed, which is a lot when at best you only get 5.5.

Whilst testing the tech asked me which browser I was using, which happened to be Waterfox, as soon as he asked the question I had a why didn't I think of that moment and immediately tried speedtest in both Chrome and IE as well. Well stuff me if they both weren't faster by .6mbps.

This still left me on only about 2.4mbps so we kept trouble shooting and eventually replaced all the filters in the house (I had umpteen spares) and I'm now at an extremely happy 5.21mbps. Except not on Waterfox for some reason

This is my result on Waterfox

Posted Image

This is my result on Chrome

Posted Image

And this is IE

Posted Image

Now I don't get it, I've cleared all my cache and history on Waterfox which is my usual day to day browser, but I didn't bother on Chrome which I only use for World of Tanks as I have multiple accounts I need to manage and it's easier to do it like that than sign in and out constantly and the odd YouTube video as my downloader doesn't work on Waterfox. To my knowledge that's the first time I've ever opened IE on this PC. I've ran all these tests one after the other, I've got everything which can access the WiFi turned off, all programs which could be eating bandwidth are off and I've ran each browser 4 or 5 times with less than decimal place variation each time.

So my question is, does anyone have any idea why Waterfox is considerably slower and if there's anything I can do about it. I do prefer it as I've gotten used to how it does things but at this point in time it honestly looks like I'd be better off with IE and nobody wants that.

I'd also like to know if I'm just an unusual case or whether there is something in the mozilla code that causes such a performance drop.

Edit:

Feck it, i edited and accidentally the whole thing.

Short version:

Check that the cache files are really gone / make sure you're running nothing else on the browser, close all windows and disable all plugins.

Edited by Xen

Try Opera :)

But really, its all to do with how your browser requests data. There are so many options for rendering a webpage that could be causing that (redraw time?)

To test if the speed really IS a factor, find a giant file on your ISP's server (so... a telstra linux mirror or game update; doenst matter if you own the game, just get the update, make sure its huge).

Basically start the download in one browser, give the speed 5 minutes to 'stabilise' then repeat with each other browser.

If you get similar transfers, its just a fault with how the browsers request pages.

600kbps, should be 75KBps different in transfer. Give it 25KB or so to account for 'Australia' and server load on telstras end, and see what comes.

Long story short, if the 'other' browsers actually transfer data... better? You'll see at least another 50KBps download speed.

But really, its all to do with how your browser requests data. There are so many options for rendering a webpage that could be causing that (redraw time?)

To test if the speed really IS a factor, find a giant file on your ISP's server (so... a telstra linux mirror or game update; doenst matter if you own the game, just get the update, make sure its huge).

Basically start the download in one browser, give the speed 5 minutes to 'stabilise' then repeat with each other browser.

If you get similar transfers, its just a fault with how the browsers request pages.

600kbps, should be 75KBps different in transfer. Give it 25KB or so to account for 'Australia' and server load on telstras end, and see what comes.

Long story short, if the 'other' browsers actually transfer data... better? You'll see at least another 50KBps download speed.

Had i not borked my speedtest images you would have seen a 40Mb difference in speed.

Essentially i was getting 7Mbs down on Chrome and 48Mbs on FF.

There shouldn't be that much of a difference between two current browsers... Not in terms of a 50Kbs increase.

Had i not borked my speedtest images you would have seen a 40Mb difference in speed.

Essentially i was getting 7Mbs down on Chrome and 48Mbs on FF.

There shouldn't be that much of a difference between two current browsers... Not in terms of a 50Kbs increase.

7, I'd kill for 7. 48? I'd download all the things.

Also I have baleeted all the cache files manually and I literally only have a single plugin and that's a colour picker. I doubt that would do anything. I might try what MS suggested later.

im on 6 down 1 up. Its pretty servicable :)

Not a billion router is it? SnR tweak??

Crappy telstra router, I bought a decent Netgear but it wouldn't play with Telstras backend for some reason. I might have another crack at it as this one is shitting me to tears.

Got no clue what's going on, though I hope someone here can help ya soon!

Got me stumped as to why Waterfox is doing that :-S

Theory - the interface between browser and Flash might be the bottleneck.

I agree with trying some bog standard large HTML downloads. Probably a good idea to do it twice in the first browser - the ISP would probably cache the data so subsequent downloads might get a perceived speed bost.

7, I'd kill for 7. 48? I'd download all the things.

That's the network here at work, i get 6 - 7 down at home.

And the network here at work is essentially unrestricted :)

im on 6 down 1 up. Its pretty servicable :)

Not a billion router is it? SnR tweak??

Crappy telstra router, I bought a decent Netgear but it wouldn't play with Telstras backend for some reason. I might have another crack at it as this one is shitting me to tears.

Gotta hate those ones, I think Billion better stay sending some money to both Master_Scythe and I as yet again I'm recommending you get one.

The modem shouldn't have much difference for what you are experiencing though, this is going to be more at the application level between the two browsers.

Try completely wiping the waterfox install and re-installing... make sure to delete all the files if you test though.

Honestly I wouldnt recommend Billion for complicated stuff. With the exception of connection speed, and basic switch; they're flakey as hell.

I'd go TP-link every day.

But I went billion for the SnR tweak settings as I dont need much else.