Sign in to follow this  
NukeJockey

Slow Sync Issues

I've had internet problems ever since I moved about 2.5 years ago, mainly just drop outs on occasion, sometimes it would come right back up, other times it would stay down for a day, but it was fairly rare and after talking to internode, I just figured maybe it was my modem, it was getting fairly old, then it died and I borrowed a friends old Netgear DGN2000, haven't had a drop out in a while, but I've been having sync issues (these happened on my old modem too) where my connection speed will drop from about 6mbps down to anywhere between 1mbps and 3mbps.

When I hopped online earlier today I noticed my net was fairly slow, so I checked my sync speed on the modem and it was around 2.9mbps, so I reset the modem, it synced at 2.4mbps, I tried to reboot it a few more times with each reboot giving me a slightly lower sync speed, until it was syncing slower than 1.5mbps. I've since rebooted it again (around 25 minutes ago) and it managed to sync at 1.7mbps. Still over 3x slower than normal.

Wondering if this is the modem, or if there is anything I can do to test if it is the modem. Here are the stats from the statistics page, does anything stand out to anyone as being especially bad?

System Up Time 00:22:05
Port	Status	TxPkts	RxPkts	Collisions	Tx B/s	Rx B/s	Up Time
WAN	PPPoE	29291	48186	0	1567	50917	00:20:55
LAN	10M/100M	49885	31973	0	49256	2293	00:22:02
WLAN	11M/54M	1387	18	0	189	1	00:21:40

ADSL Link	Downstream	Upstream
Connection Speed	1778 kbps	814 kbps
Line Attenuation	54.5 db	32.5 db
Noise Margin	6.1 db	6.0 db

I've called up Internode, however I was on hold for long enough to get offered a call back, so waiting for a phone call from them about it at the moment, but if the past is anything to go by, they won't be able to sort it.

I know I'll probably get told by some of you to buy a new modem and its definitely on the Agenda, however I can't afford one at the moment, so have to make do with what I have for now.

Edited by NukeJockey

How far away are you from the exchange... that attenuation is pretty high.

Edit: You able to get your hands on a modem with a broadcom chip in it to test?

Edited by Xen

Between 2-3km according to adsl2exchanges.com.au

No idea, what modems have Broadcom chips in them?

You are 2282m from MORK as the crow flies. Estimated cable length of 3080.7m Estimated speed of 6666 (which is roughly my normal sync speed)

Between 2-3km according to adsl2exchanges.com.au

No idea, what modems have Broadcom chips in them?

You are 2282m from MORK as the crow flies. Estimated cable length of 3080.7m Estimated speed of 6666 (which is roughly my normal sync speed)

I usually recommend the Billion 7800 series for longer distances to the exchange.

In that case the attenuation is probably expected, Have you done the usual "by ear" test? I.e plugin a basic handset nothing on the line and listen for static.

Gives a basic indication of line quality.

Have you also made sure that the only thing connecting to the modem is you via the shortest cable possible? How about phone cable length from socket to modem?

Edited by Xen

Cable length is around 1m at most. Modem is right next to the phone port.

The lines are pretty bad around here, I work from home and when I originally started, I used a landline for phone calls, it was horrible, nearly impossible to hear anyone on properly. Since then I moved to Voip, but it craps out when my sync speeds drop.

I've heard some good things about the Billion 7800 series of modems, so I guess I'll look into the pricing of those and hope I can order one ASAP.

The lines are pretty bad around here, I work from home and when I originally started, I used a landline for phone calls, it was horrible, nearly impossible to hear anyone on properly. Since then I moved to Voip, but it craps out when my sync speeds drop.

I've heard some good things about the Billion 7800 series of modems, so I guess I'll look into the pricing of those and hope I can order one ASAP.

Yup that's probably the best i can recommend, the 7800 series deals with crappy lines a lot better then most but it doesn't matter how much you polish crap it won't turn into a diamond.

If the lines are that dodgy that they're next to unusable for phone calls then the network will suffer, try contacting telstra or whomever is responsible for the lines and pray they aren't as useless as usual.

We've had telstra techs out several times to "check the lines" and they always come back saying it must be the cabling in the house (quite possible since only 1 of the phone ports work, out of 3). Landlord doesn't want to replace or repair the lines inside the unit and I'm not paying to do it.

We've had telstra techs out several times to "check the lines" and they always come back saying it must be the cabling in the house (quite possible since only 1 of the phone ports work, out of 3). Landlord doesn't want to replace or repair the lines inside the unit and I'm not paying to do it.

Ahh yes the usual Telstra "pass the buck" tactic.

Don't know how many times i've heard the excuse that the issue is somewhere else that is someone else's problem to fix.

Spoke to internode this morning and they did "something" on their end which supposedly fixed the issue, it was syncing at about 5.5mbps a little while after I got off the phone with them and was fine until around 5pm, then it dropped out and re-synced at 3.3mbps, then 15 minutes later same thing again, this time syncing at 1.7mbps, then around 6pm it reset and synced at around 1.4mbps, I rebooted the modem again and it synced at 2mbps, but was downloading at around 1-10kb/s off steam and loading webpages (including those in the .on.net domains that normally load ultra fast) really slowly.

Can't afford a new modem at this point, guessing I'll have to get back on the phone to internode at some point tomorrow...

Nuke, unfortunately you're fighting an uphill battle. Its like asking someone to let your geforce2 play Battlefield4. Yeah, it has the technology compatability wise, but not the right strength nor instructions to handle it no matter how hard you pray.

What you have is a non broadcom modem, and are probably more than 3km from the exchange. The simple fact is that its not going to work reliably.

Be default Internode should have their profile set to a 6db profile, so it should be fairly stable. You can change your line profiles yourself by logging into your internode control panel.

http://www.internode.on.net/support/guides...adsl2_profiles/

Try the ADSL1 Very High Reliability (doesnt matter if you ADSL2, its just a mode on their end) Max speed on that profile is 4Mbps, which isnt too far off your max. Though this might be a big jump depending what profile you're currently set to?

maybe try 'High Reliability' its an 8db margin profile, and you have 6db SnR, so should be good (max speed 6Mbps i think? could be 8....).

What profile are\were you set to?

Its a shame a modem is out of the budget atm.....

http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=3653

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TD-W8960N_v4.x

Parents are running that, took their link speed (non broadcomm) from 1200kbps\256kbps, to 6.5Mbps\1.2Mbps (broadcom).

Its worth the $45, start putting your pennies aside. That said, its not a sure fire fix.

Since thats not an option though; its possible you're getting noise 'spikes' on your line, and the modem is trying to reconfigure as ADSL2\+ does.

try setting your modem to ADSL1 mode (G.DMT) as the max speed is 8Mbps anyway, which you're not reaching.

Difference with ADSL1 over 2, is that it senses the line quality, and locks the 'worst case scenario' in. So your 'spikes' (if thats whats happening) will be ignored, and you'll just lose a packet or two.

Its also orth disabling everything but NAT on your modem. As they get old, carious chips can just 'give up' or, since they small linux boxes really, ive seen many with a corrupted section.

Turn off DHCP and set your IP's manually; Turn off SPI, Turn off QoS, Turn off UPnP, Parental filtering (even if no rules exist), etc etc.

Also, unscrew the case from your modem and run it 'topless'. Its summer. it could EASILY be heat if you never put a ramsink on your modems chipset (something I do religiously).

The guys who are used to corporate networking will be looking at my post oddly right now; but trust me when I say things that make sense in a CISCO or 3COM world don't apply to home routers, its these little errors you have to learn from fiddling.

Let us know how you go.

EDIT:

Here are some examples of SNR Targets:

- TW ADSL2+ 6.0 db (as in example above)

- TW ASL2+ Reliability Profile 12.0 db

- AGILE Very High Speed 3.0 db

- AGILE High Speed 6.0 db

- AGILE Standard 9.0 db

- AGILE High Reliability 12.0 db

- AGILE Very High Reliability 15.0 db

- OPTUS Fast 9.0 db

- OPTUS Standard 12.0 db

- OPTUS Reliability 15.0 db

Assuming you're on a Telstra Wholesale port, it wants 6db SnR and you have 6.1, so reliable plan is a good idea.

Also worth note, the phone line length to the modem makes a HUGE difference in my experience.

I had a 30cm lead and synced unreliably at 5mbps; I got a 8cm one made up, as I mount the modem where the socket is, and get 5.5mbps solid.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Thanks for the info M_S, I wasnt aware I could change line profiles myself, thought that was only for internodes non-wholesale customers, the option was usually always blanked out on the my internode page.

Looks like I'll be ordering a new modem today, managed to borrow some cash to do so, as my net is so bad now that even though the Sync speed is okay, the actual download speeds I'm getting are similar to dialup.

I'm looking at grabbing one of the Billion 7800 series modems and just wondering which one I actually need. I use Voip for work at home, so do I need one of the Voip compatible modems? I'm not sure how it all works, but I have a Yealink T22 phone that connects to my modem via Ethernet.

Thanks for the info M_S, I wasnt aware I could change line profiles myself, thought that was only for internodes non-wholesale customers, the option was usually always blanked out on the my internode page.

Looks like I'll be ordering a new modem today, managed to borrow some cash to do so, as my net is so bad now that even though the Sync speed is okay, the actual download speeds I'm getting are similar to dialup.

I'm looking at grabbing one of the Billion 7800 series modems and just wondering which one I actually need. I use Voip for work at home, so do I need one of the Voip compatible modems? I'm not sure how it all works, but I have a Yealink T22 phone that connects to my modem via Ethernet.

How are you using voip?

Short answer before you answer, probably not if you already have it setup in a way that works for you.

You could just get away with the cheapest one unless you want to be prepared for NBN or actually need the extra features in the others.

How are you using voip?

Short answer before you answer, probably not if you already have it setup in a way that works for you.

You could just get away with the cheapest one unless you want to be prepared for NBN or actually need the extra features in the others.

I have a voip service through url.net.au and a Voip handset that plugs into the modem via ethernet. The voip handset auto provisions itself when i turn it on. I'm just not sure if I require a modem that advertises itself as supporting Voip, or a normal one, because I don't really understand the different ways voip services work or what different devices there are.

How are you using voip?

I have a voip service through url.net.au and a Voip handset that plugs into the modem via ethernet. The voip handset auto provisions itself when i turn it on. I'm just not sure if I require a modem that advertises itself as supporting Voip, or a normal one, because I don't really understand the different ways voip services work or what different devices there are.

Hmm it could be good for you in that it should automatically QOS the VOIP packets.

I haven't setup VOIP on any of the Billion routers no im not sure if it will end up helping you much more than just plugging the handset in and it automatically setting up.

You need to get the line fixed then. Any audible noise is going to impact ADSL performance and stability.

Assuming you are not in a building with an MDF then Telstra's responsibility is to the network boundary point. This is normally the first socket in the house, not some arbitrary point that the line tech can't be bothered working past.

With the sort of noise you are getting you report a voice fault to your voice provider, don't mention ADSL at all. Fixing the voice issue will 9 times out of 10 fix ADSL issues as well.

Be default Internode should have their profile set to a 6db profile, so it should be fairly stable. You can change your line profiles yourself by logging into your internode control panel.

Only available on Agile DSLAMs (and possibly Iinet ones now). For Optus DSLAMs you have to phone support and request a line profile change. For Telstra DSLAMs no profile change is possible.

The Yealink T22 appears to be a full IP phone so all you need is a straight ADSL modem/router like the Billion 7800N (which is a Broadcom chipset). You only need a modem with VOIP support if you are using standard handsets. VOIP modems have at least one FSX port to plug a phone in too and the SIP account is configured in the modem interface itself. You don't need all that with the Yealink AFAIK.

If that is out of your price range then the TD-W8960N should be OK. I had the old V1 version and it plodded along fine on my 59dB attenuation line. Only thing it didn't like is torrenting as the NAT table was easily flooded, however this was easily fixed by setting up the torrent client properly. :-)

Only thing you may have to do for the VOIP is to enable QoS in the modem and give top priority to the Yealink.

Thanks for the info aliali, I will try calling internode and mentioning a voice fault, never thought of that before, always just been calling up and mentioning that my ADSL service is on the fritz.

WRT the telstra tech and having to ensure the line is good to the first socket in the house, I assume that would be the socket thats closest to where the line enters the building? If so, thats the socket thats on the inside of the same wall where the line enters and its been a while since I've had the modem hooked up in there, but from memory that one may have been more stable. Maybe I should go back to trying that socket.

Only available on Agile DSLAMs (and possibly Iinet ones now). For Optus DSLAMs you have to phone support and request a line profile change. For Telstra DSLAMs no profile change is possible.

You see they SAY that, but i've proven that wrong on my own connection :)

Thanks for the info aliali, I will try calling internode and mentioning a voice fault, never thought of that before, always just been calling up and mentioning that my ADSL service is on the fritz.

WRT the telstra tech and having to ensure the line is good to the first socket in the house, I assume that would be the socket thats closest to where the line enters the building? If so, thats the socket thats on the inside of the same wall where the line enters and its been a while since I've had the modem hooked up in there, but from memory that one may have been more stable. Maybe I should go back to trying that socket.

yes, yes 100X yes.

Always modem the FIRST socket. If you want to be dodgy which you dont; Maybe you should consider disconnecting the other sockets... manually.... they'll be chained off the first a lot of the time.

Ethernet wont give two shits about cable length nor line quality, just so long as you have a nice short cable from wall to modem (grab a 15cm one form officeworks) and its plugge dinto the first socket.

You see they SAY that, but i've proven that wrong on my own connection :)

Well there is no option to change profiles in my Internode and I am on a TW DSLAM.

Perhaps if enough faults are reported Internode can request Telstra to change the line profile to something more stable. Of course with the Billion 7800N you can manually change SNR figures at

http://192.168.1.254/snr.html

See

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1567481

Im on a Naked Optus port AFAIK (no Agile in my area), and I can adjust my profiles.

Well you used to have to ring 'node for that on Optus ports and 'node then put in a request to Optus wholesale.

According to http://www.internode.on.net/support/guides...adsl2_profiles/

profile changes via "My Internode" is only available on

Easy Broadband

Easy Naked (if connected to an Internode DSLAM)

Extreme ADSL2+

NakedExtreme ADSL2

So are you sure you are on an Optus DLSAM?

to be fair, no, but i double checked, and there is no AGILE ports here... so it has to be telstra, optus, or Telstra Wholesale (TPG)

TPG?

If you are with Internode then you are not on any TPG gear. It's Internode (Agile), Iinet (Chime), Optus Wholesale or Telstra Wholesale.

That's all.

I know that silly! i was just listing ports at my exchange.... I wonder if there's Chime... since they merged.....

yep..... didnt even think of that "Your adsl exchange has been anabled by PowerTel\iiNet" which it actually didnt have listed like a week ago.

wait.... if i'm on an Agile or Chime port... I should have EXTREME broadband available....... MUST LOOK INTO THIS.

I know that silly! i was just listing ports at my exchange.... I wonder if there's Chime... since they merged.....

yep..... didnt even think of that "Your adsl exchange has been anabled by PowerTel\iiNet" which it actually didnt have listed like a week ago.

wait.... if i'm on an Agile or Chime port... I should have EXTREME broadband available....... MUST LOOK INTO THIS.

Best of luck with it M_S. Would be nice to have access to a non-TW DSLAM.