Sign in to follow this  
Waltish

ESO

NDA has been lifted so started this thread for any BETA players to speak about it if they wish, and I would like to see if there is more than NukeJockey and Mowhawk that have played it, Might be good to run with some buds next BETA.

Played the ESO Beta the weekend before last, and believe there will be another Beta stress test event, very soon, well I hope so.

Its good, had some fun especially once I got out of tutorial level, and also off the starter Island, Very strong flavour of TES but it is its own meat , not worse or less than the TES series, just a bit different from it in some fundamental ways.

For me it was a bit of a jump as I played Oblivion and Skyrim on a PS3 and am running the BETA on the same A6 APU Hewlett P Lappy I play world of tanks on.

It runs pretty good and on the small screen it looks quite OK, took a bit to get used to doing an ES Game on keyboard and mouse , but I kinda like the precision of the mouse, so not sure if will get PS4 version which requires me to buy a PS4 and lets me play on 46" screen, or the PC one, which cost me less and has tight controls but a Smallish screen.

I don't want to do a full blown review there are plenty on the TUBE of U and the intarwebbys.

Certainly feel free to ask questions.

Last few minutes before the Beta ended there was a mosh pit going in front of the Daggerfall fighters guild.. AOE spells were being cast, dancing/cavorting was all the rage and a human centipede of folks doing push ups, most had ditched their clothes and armour, quite a fun and funny thing it was to see and be part of .

Chat was running hot with well wishes and sentimental good byes. then the final call to thank us for playing let us know there will be more soon and then it was gone .. felt sorta sad, sat there looking at the launcher for a while reminiscing my last couple of hours play.

They are still accepting BETA applications https://www.elderscrollsonline.com

ITS a big DL , about 23GB or so but well worth it, if you get in use initial area to get some coin xp and search chests for weapons and armour they re-spawn so farm the prison till you have had a gut full of it, it helps cause you can perk up some skills up a bit before you start questing/exploring {:-)

Edited by Waltish

Not sure I'll bother participating in the next beta, if it doesn't delete our characters from the last beta test I might play a bit to hit level 10 so I can check out the PVP, otherwise I'm already sold on it and am looking at preordering soon.

I would say in a lot of ways it misses the mark of what makes a TES game a TES game, but overall, for an mmo, I found it quite enjoyable. For the 10 or so hours I played, I found the questing to be great fun and the world designed varied enough to keep me interested. Whether the full game will be like that, or if it will just feel like a grind getting towards top level, I don't know, but I am looking forward to really being able to sink my teeth into it.

Yah I hope they don't flush away the characters , I rolled three first two played up to level 6-7 and deleted them but the heavy armour redguard sword and shield templar I was running last, I took to 9 before the beta finished , I would love to keep running that one, been humping around a bow and sometimes manually switching to a it in the menu.

Want to try a a resto staff as well so I can decide what to set-up as second weapon after level 15.

ah this is pretty cool. I already got a beta key, started the 22GB download this arvo before work

I'd be mildly curious how big the 30gig install would be if you could delete all the average voice work for the woeful writing in the game. The size of the client definitely isn't going towards the graphics...

Fair enough you don't like the game.

But honestly I think your expectations are too high, its easy to nit pick but have a think about the scale, like just how many lines of back ground dialogue it takes to populate a game like this, let alone you need to write main quest not for one but for three storyline's the sheer amount of original music etc etc, production logistics for a game like this are enormous, not to mention workload on the mega-server running this huge world and its in game mechanics.

Then also Introduce a different combat mechanic for MMORPG that has realtime combat not mechanical repeat motions where the fight is won on a spread sheet of stats and RNG dice rolls.

There are games that have been tightly written with mega excellent dialogue and utterly believable characters , but they are in interactive stories, and they are tiny narrow focus games by comparison.

I thought graphx was pretty good even seeing some youtube clips at HDtube rez , big ask to have MMO PVP with two hundred plus players in battle doing real time combat and stupendous next gen small map type graphx , maybe if the whole world had optical fibre internet and top line gfxcards it would work, but hey I run it on an AMD A6 APU lappy , and adsl2+ connection I am 7k from the exchange so nearly half of that Bandwidth/speed is eaten up covering the distance.

I am happy with it so far, I recommend folks give it a try and see for them selves it cost no money to beta unless you need to pony up for the data dl-ing it.

Edited by Waltish

Fair enough you don't like the game.

But honestly I think your expectations are too high, its easy to nit pick but have a think about the scale, like just how many lines of back ground dialogue it takes to populate a game like this, let alone you need to write main quest not for one but for three storyline's the sheer amount of original music etc etc, production logistics for a game like this are enormous.

Then also Introduce a different combat mechanic for MMORPG that has realtime combat not mechanical repeat motions where the fight is won on a spread sheet of stats and RNG dice rolls.

Considering how long this game has been in production, the amount of money that has been invested into it and with the lineage of the Elder Scrolls behind it, I'd say no, my expectations are not too high. They want to claim they have the next big AAA MMO, they had better have a product to show for it. I'm well aware of how much writing goes into these sort of games, but the writing in this falls so far short of the bar set by recent MMO's like Guild Wars 2, XIV: A Realm Reborn or The Old Republic that it's not even funny. They too have multiple storylines and and a wealth of spoken dialogue (and for the most part have vastly smaller install sizes). It's horrifying to hear how disinterested Femshep is in that opening dungeon and how she just phones in her lines. It doesn't get much better when you come across John Cleese only for him to have a throw away character with three lines of text. If the Prophet doesn't turn out to be the Emperor I'll eat my hat... You make your big daring escape from Cold Harbor intent upon stopping Molag Bol and nothing... You're greeted with a filler starter zone that has nothing to do with the plot. It's filler. The Princess is in another castle. Mr Prophet is in another place and you need to make this tiny island with no apparent value stays part of the Dominion just because. Oh there's a storm and some pirates, you should look into that. Also some skooma. Don't worry about those giant portals to Cold Harbor, the war for the Imperial city or who you were before you died, sort out who assassinated this envoy instead.

The combat is also nothing new, Korean MMO's have been doing it for years (and again with far better implementations).

There are games that have been tightly written with mega excellent dialogue and utterly believable characters , but they are in interactive stories, and they are in tiny games in by comparison.

I thought graphx was pretty good even seeing some youtube clips at HDtube rez , big ask to have MMO PVP with two hundred plus players in battle doing real time combat and stupendous next gen small map type graphx , maybe if the whole world had optical fibre internet and top line gfxcards it would work, but hey I run it on an AMD A6 APU lappy , and adsl2+ connection I am 7k from the exchange so nearly half of that Bandwidth/speed is eaten up covering the distance.

Tiny games in comparison? No, not really. Once again, go take a look at Guild Wars 2, XIV or ToR.

Here's a fairly accurate description of how my first five minutes in the game went with regards to graphics; "Wow this looks like shit, it looks like I'm playing Warhammer again. I'd better turn up the graphics detail. Oh... I'm already on the Ultra setting." True it's difficult to expect max settings for any RvR game without any degree of culling or fps loss, but going back through Guild Wars to Rift to Warhammer to WoW to DAoC they all seem to manage with small performance losses without looking terrible for their day. The game has clearly been designed for the PS360 and then next to no effort has been made for increasing the detail for PC. It's like they're almost using the minimum spec requirements for vanilla release WoW as the common denominator PC requirements.

MMO's use very little in the way of bandwidth and ESO will use even less in RvR since it doesn't have player collision detection. Unless you're on dialup your connection with have negligible effect on the game. Performance issues in RvR (and to a lesser extent PvE) tend to stem from ping and the only way to resolve that is to live physically closer to the server.

I am happy with it so far, I recommend folks give it a try and see for them selves it cost no money to beta unless you need to pony up for the data dl-ing it.

I'm not having a go at your personally here, but this is one of the real issues with the current MMO user generation and MMO developers in general. Using a beta as a way to try the game for free rather then using it as an actual beta to balance the game and remove bugs. So many games go live now days with massively game breaking bugs and balance issues that it's not funny.

Not big on the look guild wars myself, and from what I saw on the tube of the combat, I would get bored with it.

I think there needs to be starting areas and staged access to the world, not every one is an old hand at MMORPG, and these places controle the difficulty and give MMO Nubs like me a chance to level up, gather kit and get a feel of things.

I tend to disagree with your assessment of the graphix , story, characters etc, that's you opinion and you are welcome to it, Like said I Like it and I think its good.

I really don't go for the cartoonish/anime/uber-stylised look, its less immersive .

Edited by Waltish

Waltish, I think you'll find the combat is almost exactly like GW2/WoW/Most other MMOs, it just has the illusion of being realtime, the LMB and RMB are just replacements for number keys, they even took auto attacks out to make it seem more like real time combat (as similar to TES games as possible) but the combat is still probably more closely related to Morrowind than Skyrim. I've witnessed it time and time again in beta, you don't need to land direct hits and there is no locational damage.

While I believe the combat is refreshing enough to be enjoyable because of the inclusion of the First Person view, I'm under no illusion that is groundbreaking or new in any way.

Not big on the look guild wars myself, and from what I saw on the tube of the combat, I would get bored with it.

I think there needs to be starting areas and staged access to the world, not every one is an old hand at MMORPG, and these places controle the difficulty and give MMO Nubs like me a chance to level up, gather kit and get a feel of things.

I tend to disagree with your assessment of the graphix , story, characters etc, that's you opinion and you are welcome to it, Like said I Like it and I think its good.

I really don't go for the cartoonish/anime/uber-stylised look, its less immersive .

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the ESO combat is just an imitation of the GW2 combat system. It's exactly the same. Pick 6 skills from a list to define your build then press you attack buttons to connect with whatever is in front of your character with melee type attacks or lock on to hit with ranged/spell attacks. Press dodge to roll out of the way or use a block skill to block.

No one is arguing the need for starter zones, I was pointing out how woefully implemented and written they were. In fact one of the greatest criticisms leveled at the game is how bad they are and when people point it out the response is "Get past the starter zone and to level 10ish. The game really changes then." or "Don't do X and Y's starter zones, they're awful do Z's instead." The fact that the current closed beta test server build (unfortunately not the build for this weekends stress test) allows people to skip past the entire starter zone speaks volumes.

The game also uses a cartoonish, stylised look similar to ToR or Kingdoms of Amalur so I'm really not sure where you're trying to go with that point and the game itself is frequently breaking every time it phases the game for quests. There's nothing worse then completing a step in a phase to have a dozen people pop into existence around as you progress to the same quest stage as them. It is honestly one of the worse concepts WoW ever introduced.

Waltish, I think you'll find the combat is almost exactly like GW2/WoW/Most other MMOs, it just has the illusion of being realtime, the LMB and RMB are just replacements for number keys, they even took auto attacks out to make it seem more like real time combat (as similar to TES games as possible) but the combat is still probably more closely related to Morrowind than Skyrim. I've witnessed it time and time again in beta, you don't need to land direct hits and there is no locational damage.

While I believe the combat is refreshing enough to be enjoyable because of the inclusion of the First Person view, I'm under no illusion that is groundbreaking or new in any way.

Yeah, the combat is very floaty. You only need to be swinging vaguely near a mob to hit it. I clean missed mobs a lot jumping around mashing keys only for them to connect. I took it merely as a ping issue to start with, but apparently even having tiny ping you can still do it. :/

I'm actually sort of shocked there was no outcry about making people 'click' auto attack. There was a giant outrage when XIV made people do it and then put it back to automatically happen.

Combat like wow .... not at all, like GW2 kinda but TESO combat is less boring.

There is a soft lock mostly for ranged attack, but you do have to block and you do have to hit.

Any way this thread was supposed to be like a beta hub to get codes and to share info, its kind of a derail to keep fending off your ardent dislike for the game.

Like I said I don't agree with your take on TESO and patently don't care for GW2 and have never felt anything but disdain for WoW.

But that's just my opinion.

Combat like wow .... not at all, like GW2 kinda but TESO combat is less boring.

There is a soft lock mostly for ranged attack, but you do have to block and you do have to hit.

Any way this thread was supposed to be like a beta hub to get codes and to share info, its kind of a derail to keep fending off your ardent dislike for the game.

Like I said I don't agree with your take on TESO and patently don't care for GW2 and have never felt anything but disdain for WoW.

But that's just my opinion.

The combat is exactly the same as GW2. Trying to pretend otherwise is deluding yourself, particularly if you're judging it off youtube videos. Considering how much the game takes from GW2 and WoW you're either in for a very nasty shock or you really are kidding yourself.

I have played WoW decided it was droll shit and never played it again.

GW2 overdone cartoonish shit not interested.

No surprises here I have a level 10 Redguard Templar and she is ready to rock, deleted my two hander Nord and my sword and board Breton.

Not to worry I will roll at least one for each alliance, object this time to get 3 of them out of the start zones and level 15 to be able to weapon switch.

Edited by Waltish

Been having a lot of fun so far, it has crashed a couple of times this arvo and at the moment the log in service is failing, hope its just a reboot of the server, I would like to get a few more hours in before the end.

I've played about 10 minutes of this beta. Decided I won't be purchasing the game either, not so much that the game itself has turned me off, more the fact that the costs are too high and I don't believe I will get enough free time to justify the $15/m subscription cost.

I've played about 10 minutes of this beta. Decided I won't be purchasing the game either, not so much that the game itself has turned me off, more the fact that the costs are too high and I don't believe I will get enough free time to justify the $15/m subscription cost.

I'm in the same boat since there are so many good F2Play's out there and the fact that I reckon ESO will turn into a F2P after a year or so when they realise that going the sub route was a big mistake and the population is not as big as it should be.

You really do have to wonder how much they're hurting their bottom line by charging $100 (for the ungimped version) and then $15 a month in this day and age of quality F2P MMOs. This isn't the market of ten years ago when WoW was first released. Even the last successful subscription based MMO (XIV 2.0) released at $40 for it's CE and that's not even half of what's being asked here for the gimped version. It's almost like a little bit of hubris thinking they can sell it at that price for the Elder Scrolls name alone.

I would hate to see it go the pay to win rout of a lot of Free to plays, even WoT which is one of the fairest and not pay to win, would be hard to play with out dropping some moolah into it,even if its just for garage slots at a minimum.

Mostly free to play is not free once you buy stuff that makes life bearable.

But yah pay full freight up front and then a sub, could be a bit much for me too, not so bad the sub, keeps it fair, but that and full price It got me wavering.

I am happy to pay a sub if content keeps flowing, I really would hate to see it corrupted by micro-transactions, and special game enhancing stuff behind a price tag.

I would hate to see it go the pay to win rout of a lot of Free to plays, even WoT which is one of the fairest and not pay to win, would be hard to play with out dropping some moolah into it,even if its just for garage slots at a minimum.

Mostly free to play is not free once you buy stuff that makes life bearable.

But yah pay full freight up front and then a sub, could be a bit much for me too, not so bad the sub, keeps it fair, but that and full price It got me wavering.

I am happy to pay a sub if content keeps flowing, I really would hate to see it corrupted by micro-transactions, and special game enhancing stuff behind a price tag.

I wouldn't want to the game to go Free to Play, but certainly dropping the sub would be a good start. GW2 manages to offer the full game for $60 or less and no monthly sub on top of that, if other high profile MMOs can do it, why does something like ESO need to, I will bet the game won't pick up as many players as they are expecting, simply because of the Subs. I would have pre-ordered by now if there wasn't one.

You mean like how it costs an extra $40~ to buy the game and get the imperial race, which should imo, be in all versions.

Edited by NukeJockey

Oh wow, it's $100?

If they're going to do that, it should come with a free 4 month sub. After four months, you can judge on the merits of the game whether there's enough new content to justify the sub.

I'd like to see the stats if they made the base game free for a single race, and you bought the other couple for a small outlay - $10 ea? - just to see if many people paid for extra race access, but that would probably not be a good idea for the game itself.

Yeh That imperial thing sorta sucks, but who cares really, Its one race and they wont be OP so no pay to win there, more of a feel left out thing with that.

I really enjoy the beta, my main concern is that it will eat my life, second concern is if will enjoy the PVP as much I do the questing, and I have already mentioned that the biggish sub on top of full freight entry, has got me undecided at this point.

Edited by Waltish

I enjoyed the beta over the weekend . I found it interesting is the skill levels for weapons , armor , guilds etc .

I liked that if you read books your levels in certain things go up , so it pays off to read every bookshelf .

I found the flow , pretty good . Just got slow in certain parts . Public Dungeons where cool , the world bosses are fun .

I am umming and arrrree'ing to buy it . Might just see closer to release .

The game has ALOT of potential , lets just see if they can pull it off . Not like alot of other MMO's that had great potential , but developers failed to pull it off , hmmm like Age of Conan , Tabula Rasa , Defiance , Star Wars The Old Republic .Just to name a few .

I play Neverwinter which is a free 2 play RPG and I have not dropped a single dime on it at all (they charge to much for pixels) and have been playing it since beta.

Not all free to plays are pay to win and in Neverwinters case, paying money only buys you vanity stuff, extra storage and more character slots. You can not pay to win in it at all no matter how much money you throw at it.

Done properly ESO would be very successful as a F2P game.

A lot of people I have spoken to about ESO all agree that they will not play it simply because of the buy in price and monthly sub and have stated that they would play it as a F2P and would most likely drop some coin on it then.

With some of these MMOs, I wonder why they don't just have a "monster" race that is free to play, and you pay/buy/unlock the "good" races.

Make the F2P element part of the game, and basically make the "free" players part of the challenge for everybody else!