krispy89

Solitary confinement for 10 years, make your choice.

I'm surprised by the number of people not picking $10m.

I wonder, what if the 10 year sentence came with $10m and 10 points for you to spend. Would you spend the $10m on those other things?

Rob.

I wonder, what if the 10 year sentence came with $10m and 10 points for you to spend. Would you spend the $10m on those other things?

Rob.

I am shocked at the number of people neglecting the shower. I had to take cold showers for a few days once... YEARS of it..? Fuck that!

For myself the surprise is those choosing an iPod, that is daily torture in my ears/eyes ;)

There's no way an ipod will last 10 years, let alone the headphones, and I'm suspicious about the lack of a charger.

How about we just assume that the cat will have food provided, consoles/iPods/TV will be replaced if they break, the mattress might be replaced after a certain number of years, etc

Rob.

I am shocked at the number of people neglecting the shower. I had to take cold showers for a few days once... YEARS of it..? Fuck that!

I bathed out of a bucket for eighteen months once.... No hot running water. Was in the mountains, moderate snow in winter. I won't say it didn't suck (:

There are a lot of things in there that are tempting. Going for the halved sentence is a no-brainer provided, as someone else pointed out, that you get released at the end, not just put in a normal prison for the other 5 years. If you do, I'd honestly rather spend 10 years in solitary then 10 years sharing a cell with someone.

If the halved sentence does end in a release, then my answer is identical to kikz answer on the first page, in every detail except about the kids.

If you take the halved sentence out of the equation, then I guess it would be the following:

8: hot shower

20: unlimited books

27: workout equipment

29: phone call

30: fast food

Having someone clean your cell was tempting, but given that it's solitary, a phonecall would be important. I would only really want the ipod to block out the sounds of other people, since it's solitary we can assume that it's fairly quiet in the cell, so that's not a factor.

TV would be tempting, I'd want a news channel more then anything, but not worth the exchange in exercise equipment. I can get current affairs through books, more or less, especially if books includes newspapers and magazines. Even if it means getting annual digests of the major happenings and being a year behind, that's not a huge deal.

Cut your solitary confinement sentence in half - 15 credits. Assuming it's 5 years then free, not 5 years then normal prison.

Small window - 6 credits. Assuming I can see outside, and some sky or at least sunlight.

One fast food meal of your choice per week - 1 credit. Assuming I get to choose each week.

...that's 22 points, and I'm torn.

Assuming you also get a TV to play it on and appropriate control perpherals, if I could get a Steambox with Garry's Mod, Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress then I would have my entertainment and creativity needs sorted. But I don't think you can get all three of them in one machine and still call it a console. Surely a PC can be put in "kiosk mode", boot straight to Big Picture with only those three games installed and available through Steam? Would that count?

Anyway, assuming it doesn't I'd go for cell-cleaning (2), rubber ball (3) and phone call (2), with one point left!

Edited by thesorehead

OK so given the conditions of solitary confinement and they did say cat not kitten, the chances are pretty good that the cat woudl die and then you would be devistated.

Given my savings after ten years of not spending a dime I'd be pretty well off I dont' think I'd need the 10 mill.

Half the sentence (15 points) - the sooner i'm out the better, I'm not prepared to waste my life in SC

Telephone (2 credits) - technically they didn't say how long the phone call is - I would like one 168 hour phone call a week please

unlimited access to books (12 credits) - think outside the box - get a whole bunch of those craft books that come with tools, with unlimited books i'm sure i could figure out all sorts of things.

with only one credit left there isn't much else to choose from FAst food - Woo!

Edited by Chaos.Lady

Edit;

hmm, not sposed to be posting when plastered this year....

Edited by Betzie

Rob.

um...yep! :)

i think many people are just not thinking it through. i am convinced that if you asked all of those without the hot water — after mere months of that reality — if they'd like to change their minds, there would be SIGNIFICANT reversals (as opposed to vice versa).

seeing that you are to be in physical bondage, its perfectly natural to want to focus heavily on the mental realm. but things would get primal very quickly. i fear many would soon encounter natural limits to how much emotional consolation can be derived from mental pursuits at the expense of due attention to core physical needs.

ultimately, there is no more robust and fundamental correlate of emotional warmth than physical warmth. it is by no means the only (or even most) 'critical' component. but owing to the hard wiring of the limbic system, the utilisation of instinctual drives is the most direct, reliable, and renewable way to reboot, maintain, and nourish the system.

yes, there may be a cat, there may be phone calls, soulful music, and fictional protagonists to psychologically transfer affections to and from. but in the end, YOU must be your primary source of unconditional love.

so there you are. youve had a wank. youve had a nice feed. (hopefully a warm meal in your belly). by your own hand, in water, warm like the sun, warm like your mother's womb, warm like the embrace of a beloved, youve chosen to methodically honour and care for yourself, to remove every last trace of filth from the physical body you inhabit. for these precious minutes at least, you stand there unmolested by your terrible circumstances. you stand there, warm and clean, nourished, and reborn. ready once again...for one more day...for imagination and memories and not-yet-forsaken hopes and dreams to set you free.

Edited by @~thehung

Bollocks, you're speaking for yourself :p There are mental and physical health benefits to cold showers as well.

Edited by komuso

"...There are mental and physical health benefits to cold showers as well. "

Me thinks they'd have to be pretty bloody good to surpass @~thehung's last paragraph. It's a beauty ! :)

Rob.

Would you be more accepting of them if someone paid you more than $2.5k per cold shower?

Rob.

Don't know about Cybes robzy, but for me I'm not greedy. I've got ten million coming to me on release. So I'll just take my warm shower :)

Rob.

Would you be more accepting of them if someone paid you more than $2.5k per cold shower?
I might've made a mistake. I interpreted your post, Cybes, as meaning that the warm shower was superior than the $10m.

On second reading, you didn't necessarily say that, and therefore my reply doesn't really make much sense.

I don't know whether I'd pick room size or hot water with my remaining 8 points.

Or... maybe I should get the workout equipment.... girls love money and muscles.

Rob.

I might've made a mistake. I interpreted your post, Cybes, as meaning that the warm shower was superior than the $10m.

On second reading, you didn't necessarily say that, and therefore my reply doesn't really make much sense.

I don't know whether I'd pick room size or hot water with my remaining 8 points.

Or... maybe I should get the workout equipment.... girls love money and muscles.

Rob.

I wouldn't say the shower was superior... It's just necessary to me not going bonkers. That and the bed: shit sleep makes an unhappy Cybes. ANY length of stay feasible would not be doable by me without at least those two items.

Comfy bed - 5

Hot water - 8 =13

There's not enough left now to buy the money option. I could still cut the term in half, but I don't know I could manage even 5 years without anything but the 1 or 2 point options.

I initially chose:

Games - 8 = 21 - Necessary. I would prefer the books, but can't afford them. With careful selection, even only 3 games might retain at least some mental stimulation that long. (eg: NWN2, Witcher 2, TES* all come with comprehensive building suites - at least on PC. Is an unconnected PC a considered a console? Without other software, it's no more capable.)

Gym - 7 = 28 - Necessary. Even short periods of only intellectual stimulation get boring. Plus, the mind is sharper with physical stimulation.

Cleaner - 2 = 30 - Unnecessary: I could do it (poorly) with water and a rag, but if I have 2 points to spare I might as well have a smell of roses/pine/lemons once a week.

Alternatives:

Fast food - 1 credit - Irrelevant. Food is fuel; I can subsist indefinitely on oatmeal, and any university student knows how to live on ramen. ;P

Phone call - 2 credits - Irrelevant. I don't need people. I like people, but interaction is not something I have to have to stay sane.

Rubber ball - 3 credits - Irrelevant.

Ipod - 5 credits - Actively do not want.

Window - 6 credits - Unnecessary. Nice, but not worth the points.

Room size - 7 credits - Unnecessary. Very nice, but not worth the points.

Cat - 9 credits - :/ I love cats, but a tiny cell is no place for one, and all the reasons mentioned upthread make this one a no-go.

TV - 10 credits - No. TBH, I missed this one at first, but I wouldn't have chosen it anyway.

Books - 12 credits - YES! But I don't have the points for it once I've chosen the gym, and I need that.