Sign in to follow this  
gamble

Wireless Gaming Headset with Mic, PC/Android

Looking to spend about $75 maybe slightly more. Prefer wireless but if there's a good option wired that's fine. Will be used on PC and Android phone. PC for gaming so need mic and Android for music, prefer around the ear. I've searched around and there's so may options and I truly don't know what I should look for to narrow it down, plz help :-)

CM Storm Sirus-has 8 speakers for surround sound 5.1

Logitech G430-has 7.1 surround sound

Logitech G930-same as above but wireless

Plantronics RIG-seem nice but other above seem better.

Sound Blaster Tactic 3D-wireless build in audio processing

I think these are the best candidates so far, checking on reviews :-)

Those seem nice for music but I don't think they have any surround sound capabilities, no mic and possibly on the ear instead of around? Battery life seems amazing on those too...

CM Storm Sirus and Corsair Vengeance 1500 I'm leaning towards...

they're around ear acording to some reviews, and on for others; so it would depend on ear size.

yes they have a mic.

Try to avoid surround sound headphones, sicne your ears are sealed in the cups, they are actually less able to do accurate 'surround' effects than 2.0.

Ty Master Scythe for the reply and suggestions. I ended up going with regular headphones and an attachment mic since surround goes sound gimmicky with headphones as you said. Even if they have several speakers, these are usually many low quality drivers. Also, the price for the "gaming" headsets usually dont make for great sound, but that is what Ive been reading only since I dont have many pairs laying around.

Sennheiser HD 518 Headphones

Zalman Zm-Mic1

The HD 518 have the same drivers as the HD 558 and 598 and looking at the sound waves are nearly an identical match but of course the other two have high end other pieces.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/609634/hd-518-tea...-shocking-twist

Just hoping these sound good, never really had good headphones, usually under the $30 mark :) Cant wait to tell the truth after many hours of researching!

You'll like the 518's.

Believe it or not you're still on the 'low scale' of headphones at that price :P but Sennheiser hold the crown.

Cheap, and truly amazing for the price. You'll LOVE em.

Try to avoid surround sound headphones

Ye had a set of Zalman 5.1s and they weren't any better than "stereo" headphones, just weighed a hell of a lot more.

Been using a set of Plantronics Gamecom 777 for some years (now superseded) and they have a virtual surround switch. Again does not seem to actually improve game "location" audio so I leave it off.

aliali, yeah it really does "sound" like a gimmick with surround sound. I think Ill be happy with these since everyone says they like them from what I can read. I was thinking of getting a sound card to further enhance but after reading that many cannot tell the difference in blind tests from onboard to a sound card, I might skip it but they are cheap so might test out and see how it sounds with onboard.

What are some decent sound cards? Asus Xonar?

What Im curious is if using the front panel connector will be less fidelity than say connecting into the back of the pc? Should all be going thru the Realtek ALC898 onboard I would think. Shows how much I know about sound lol

Edited by gamble

You gain two things from soundcards, usually a higher bit calculation (so 24bit decoding instead of 16bit) which with things like MP3's which are lossy can make a world of difference; and you usually get a nice bump in clarity.

I can understand people with logitech speakers and junk like that "not being able to tell" but through a nice set of headphones, A and B should be simple.

Hell, testing between my old PCI SB Live! and Onboard is still night and day!

Oh also, if you have any 'mouse cursor hum' that is, your speakers hum when you move your mouse, grab an external USB soundcard; thats caused by EMI inside the case, so getting 'outside' fixes it, and there are some pretty decent external cards these days too.

Ok cool, sound cards seem relatively cheap to get 24bit and have a bunch of mp3's, plus would use for gaming. Id like to get one with a front header too since I would be unplugging headphones quite a bit to play music on the Android phone while working remote. So mostly the sound card would be for the headphones and was hoping you guys could let me know what you think about the following sound cards:

ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card

ASUS Xonar DS 7.1 Channels 24-bit 24 bit 44.10 kHz Playback 24 bit 48 kHz Playback 24 bit 96 kHz Playback 24 bit 192 kHz Playback 24 bit 96 kHz Recording PCI Interface Sound Card

ASUS Xonar DSX 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface Audio Card

All about the same price but the Asus Xonar DS/DSX is a bit more, which would you pick? I mean SB has there own tech called EAX, Asus emulates this tech up to 5.0, but some of the SB cards dont even go that high. Kinda wanted the Creative Sound Blaster Z because it matches the red in the case, but too much $$ and I dont have a window anyway ;)

Kinda thinking the ASUS Xonar DSX is the way to go...

Edited by gamble

oh my god, I cant believe how much of a difference this sounds... I really really cant believe that it sounds so much different! Ty you for the help guys, I will get a sound card DSX to further this, I should have done this a long time ago. I just so so happy I can believe the different. Havent tried games, need to relisten to all my music first. I got a chill one time from vocals? wtf? I might need to play some classical just to see what it does... mostly into alternative and classical rock, some metal... fuck me this is by far worth it.. I thought I was over paying for nothing to tell the truth, just amazing

yyyyup nice huh?

Wait until a local audiophile store has a 'trial day' and go try some $8000 headphones or something. There is a new world opening up to you :P

Oh, btw, if you want good portable headphones; Koss PortaPros. Dont question it, just do it.

As for sound card, its been ages since ive looked into 'new' ones, I know Xonar's got huge positive reviews for the longest time. Really this is one area where a review website is probably worthwhile, because few people IRL will have had 4 or 5 different same-era soundcards.