Sign in to follow this  
greegrass

PCI Wireless vs Router

is a router - in my case a netgear wgt624v3 - gonna have a greater range than a cheap pci wireless care such as the TP-LINK TL-WN881ND? this is concrete apartment building, if that makes any difference. any answers much appreciated

They are two different things, the router controls the network and routes stuff on that network, and the card is a client of that network. What exactly are you trying to do?

Give specifics.

as a big generalisation, yes. The router will output more.

However if you have range problems, a nice $40 powered booster from Deal Extreme will do the trick :)

Also, Ethernet Over Power is often the best choice in apartments. Put a router on each level, and join them with powerline ethernet.

not to sure what I'm doing myself, but basically trying to set up a router like a client I think - to share an internet connection from my computer (at a uni hall/flat so broadband comes through ethernet not phone line, and want to go direct from wall to computer then to sharing so I can still share stuff on the hall network using dc++ (apparently this is not possible otherwise, unless the router has dual/russian pppoe)). the link is the router setup instructions I'd use, but instead of 3g just have the incoming (from wall to computer) connection go to a second RJ-45 port on my computer.

http://superuser.com/questions/241651/sett...nection-sharing

hope that explains it, but also have a feeling that being able to position the router in a better location (just run a bit longer cable from comp to router) would account for any defecit in signal power.

EDIT: @Master_Scythe: will have a look into both of those - thanks

Edited by greegrass

Ok so you have an Ethernet port on the wall and you normally just connect a PC via Ethernet and you have a connection? No account setup or login needed?

If that is the case sounds like the building has it's own connection management router and DHCP server ETC.

Do you know if your PC has to be authorised to connect to the Ethernet port?

If no authorisation is needed then you could configure the netgear wgt624v3 in WAN bypass mode as per http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=933517

You PC then connects to the WAN bypass router via Ethernet or wireless.

However looking through the manual http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC...ual_25Apr05.pdf

it looks like you can do this without the above.

For either setup you will need to ask the network manager if there is an IP address you can use for a fixed IP address for the router.