Sign in to follow this  
stuub27

Audio file formats

I started going to the gym this year and am quite enjoying it. However, the music videos they play get somewhat repetitive, to say the least. So, I'm looking at cheap, small mp3 players that can clip on to my clothing to minimise cable length flapping about.

I have all my music files ripped at WMA VBR at high bit rates- approx. 320kbps

Does that mean I cannot use a player like the below?

http://www.sony.com.au/product/nwz-b173f

File Formats Supported

WMA Audio Bit rate: 32 to 192kbps (Supports variable bit rate (VBR)), Sampling frequencies: 44.1kHz

Will it work at all, at a lower quality? Or do I have to restrict myself to players that have sufficient spec's?

I know the format I use may not be the best, but I ain't ripping all my cds again! :)

Any advice appreciated

Edited by stuub27

Never used that device but I would assume that if it's not supported on paper, then it's not going to work. You could compromise some quality but save time and hassle by transcoding, which is best avoided as a general rule of thumb. However, listening through the average set of earphones, not to mention cable noise from your body moving, might well mean that any differences in quality, practically speaking, won't matter much.

Never used that device but I would assume that if it's not supported on paper, then it's not going to work. You could compromise some quality but save time and hassle by transcoding, which is best avoided as a general rule of thumb. However, listening through the average set of earphones, not to mention cable noise from your body moving, might well mean that any differences in quality, practically speaking, won't matter much.

Thanks for that, komuso. Your assumption is the same as mine. Was worth an ask.

You're right about the quality not being that important in this scenario. I've not transcoded (?) before, but will look into it.

in ABX (blind) tests, over 98% of people stop hearing MP3 quality difference beyond 160k VBR.

WMA meaning to be better than mp3 I'd imagine you'd get away with less on a portable.

in ABX (blind) tests, over 98% of people stop hearing MP3 quality difference beyond 160k VBR.

WMA meaning to be better than mp3 I'd imagine you'd get away with less on a portable.

Cool; thanks. I ripped high since I bought a 'good' mp3 player (Cowon X7) and have some 'decent' headphones (Sennheiser PX360s- good for portable, at least). And with the Cowon having heaps of storage, size isn't so much of an issue.

Which is all great when I'm not at the gym! :)

Looks like I'll have to transcode. I downloaded this: http://download.cnet.com/MP3-Quality-Modif...4-10922166.html

That should do the job, yeah?

Foobar2k has pretty useful batch processing functions, might be worth a look.

Foobar2k has pretty useful batch processing functions, might be worth a look.

Thanks! I've not looked into this before :)

Just in conclusion- my ripped music at its current bit rate seems to work fine with the Sony after all. Strange, but easy!

Edit: Last update (I swear!). Seems I was premature in thinking the higher bit rate tracks worked above the quoted spec's. SOME tracks worked, most didn't, it turned out...

Just wanted to mention this in case anyone else comes across this problem. I certainly don't understand WHY there is this limitation...but many things puzzle me :)

Edited by stuub27

I've been surprised by a number of players that don't officially support 320kbps but play it just fine. It seems to be a maximum bitrate for many of them. I got a Sansa Clip Zip which does heaps of formats, drag and drop files, removable micro SD and does gapless playback. You can pick them up cheap if you look around.

Obviously you are fine with your sony but a suggestion for others