Sign in to follow this  
te0p

True Detective

Anyone here watching this show?

True Detective HBO

I am really liking this, and have been wondering where the next good show would be coming from after breaking bad ended.

True detective is that show. (House of cards is also excellent)

Walking dead is off the boil for me.... im still watching though.

It started out pretty strong, but began to lose me with the personal life-marriage breakdown arc. Then it went full retard with the undercover-junkie-rambo arc. They threw a lot of interesting ideas in at the beginning and then failed to do anything with most of them, unfortunately.

I have to admit, though, it's still better than most of the American shows I've watched in recent years.

probably went too far with that biky bit i agree. otherwise i am enjoying it alot.

I think the two leads deserve a lot of credit for carrying the series. I'm probably being a bit harsh, because it is an enjoyable show to watch even during the silly parts. Just one of those shows that I keep thinking "this could've been really, really good with a better screenplay."

Marty: "...and that's why his ears were green."

Rust: "I'm impressed, Marty. I guess you really are a (turns to camera) TRUE DETECTIVE."

With my expectations already on the floor by the end of episode 6, I was quite surprised when the show managed to find a new low for the finale. Yes, the show had all the right ingredients to be good: Lovecraft, Chambers, cultists, mysticism, etc., and the muffins certainly looked delicious coming out of the oven... but tasted like shit and were immensely unsatisfying. And they tasted stupid a lot, too. Much like this bad baking analogy.

America, please try harder. It's been years since you've made anything good (that I've seen). Just one movie or TV show is all I ask. You've got the acting talent, maybe just get a foreigner to write the story.

True Detective: 2 stars.

I think you expected too much. It's a detective show. Not CSI: Lovecraft.

I quite enjoyed it and thought the two main leads were brilliant in the roles.

I think you nailed it with "CSI: Lovecraft" - it was a second-rate crime show desperately trying to incorporate old-school horror elements. The whole thing felt like a late-night C-Grade buddy cop movie, padded out to 8-hours.

I agree that the two leads were good, though, especially with some of the terrible dialogue they had to work with.

I think you nailed it with "CSI: Lovecraft" - it was a second-rate crime show desperately trying to incorporate old-school horror elements. The whole thing felt like a late-night C-Grade buddy cop movie, padded out to 8-hours.

I agree that the two leads were good, though, especially with some of the terrible dialogue they had to work with.

Why were you even expecting a supernatural element? I never expected one. Sure it was creepy in parts, but crazy serial killers can be creepy without it being supernatural. Perhaps expectations killed it for you. Dunno.

I felt it was one of the better crime drama's I've watched for a while.

So perhaps, if someone wants to start watching it, I can suggest you shouldn't expect any supernatural elements or you may be sorely let down.

Why were you even expecting a supernatural element?

I wasn't. Like most shows, I watched it without knowing anything at all about it.

The show itself wasn't supernatural (though that's debatable with Rust's very specific "visions") but was littered with references to old horror works - mainly the Yellow King and Carcosa stuff (Chambers) - and Rust's endless philosophical ramblings (pulled directly from more recent horror works). It would've been far stronger if they'd just left it all out and spent some time fleshing out the villain better.

Why were you even expecting a supernatural element?

I wasn't. Like most shows, I watched it without knowing anything at all about it.

The show itself wasn't supernatural (though that's debatable with Rust's very specific "visions") but was littered with references to old horror works - mainly the Yellow King and Carcosa stuff (Chambers) - and Rust's endless philosophical ramblings (pulled directly from more recent horror works). It would've been far stronger if they'd just left it all out and spent some time fleshing out the villain better.

I'm not sure it was a show about the criminals at all. I think it was a character piece about Rust and Marty, and their experiences within the frame work of a single dark fucked up series of crimes. Who they were chasing wasn't all that important, just that they were chasing him. To me at least. And since it was about them, the Yellow King and Carcosa had almost nothing to do with them, that would have been about the killer, and it wasn't called True Psychopath! So for me at all worked fine. You told you just enough to let you know that the person they were hunting was one truly fucked up individual. Beyond that, I'm not sure it mattered to the show much.

Oh well. As usual, a show can be different things to different folks.

We should do more David and Margaret style reviews.

I guess I should give it a rating then.

5 point scale?

4 stars out of 5.

And which of us are which?

True Detective - second best show in TV, and those who do not think the last ten minutes of Ep4 was the most electric scene of the year...

SUCK COCK BY CHOICE*.

*Deadwood (best, tied, show on TV) reference, so chill!

True Detective - second best show in TV...

Sadly, that's probably right if you're only referring to American shows.

What nation's are producing television of the quality of American shows right now? Denmark had Borgen, the UK have Orphan Black -- they were pretty good. But airing right now (or recently finished, or soon to start) is True Detective, Justified, The Americans, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Hannibal and probably more great ones that I haven't the time to keep up with.

I'd rate Wallander, both versions, pretty highly. Orphan Black is tops, too. And, locally, I think you can't go past Rake, or the ongoing Peter Temple/Jack Irish telemovies on the ABC.

But there's nothing like the new generation of TV coming out of the US right now. Just Hannibal and True Detective alone blow me away.

I've come to the conclusion that Rake is a genius show. The first series used to make me feel anxious and horrible and not want to watch ;)

But Roxburough (sp) and the regular cast are, well, genius actors... especially that repulsive dude who was once a pollie then found god in jail

and now has a tv show :)

English version of Wallander I find far too depressing. The Euro version is much much better I think.

I haven't watched any of the USA shows, nor have I seen True Detective. So I probably shouldn't be in this thread. My excuse is the mention

of Rake ... I'm a total convert to that show.

< leaves thread now :P >