Sign in to follow this  
ladyofbow

Antec PSU getting really noisy

Hi there, i bought Antec HCG 750m about 4-5 months ago. It was all quiet and good until recently. For some reason, it's getting really loud and annoying both on idle and full load. I have Fractal Design R4 for the case which have dust cover near the PSU.

Is there any way to fix the noise ? Should i buy new fan and replace it ? would it require soldering or just simply plug and unplug ? Thanks

Here's the noise :

:(

Edited by ladyofbow

im guessing you cleaned the filter and checked to see that there is nothing in the fan

the drone sounds normal is it the higher pitch noise thats the problem?

try block the fan with a pencil when for a bit you turn it on and see if it still makes the noise

does sound like the fan is rubbing on something or maybe bad barrings if so you should be able to send it back under warranty

opening the psu voids warranty and exposes you to 240v components

the caps can store a lethal charge even when unplugged

the fans wires are often soldered in

thats a fan on something; OR a busted sleeve bearing rubbing on its own sleeve.

UNFORTUNATELY;

"• 135 mm LED DBB Silence - Whisper-quiet high-quality LED double ball bearing fan with long lifetime"

135mm is hard to find; but it might be time to replace the little guy. You could always go a 120mm and drill a couple of holes, no biggie.

the caps can store a lethal charge even when unplugged

Which ones normally? I thought the transformer did the work and the caps basically smoothed it out? Ive pulled apart tens of PSU's before, and most of the caps are very low voltage (usually what you'll be using, 12v, 3.3v, etc), and those that arent are very low capacity.

Which ones have been known to hold a lot?

Yeah i took out power supply, poke stick on the fan, turn it back on. The noise its gone. So, bad fan ? :/

I never have problem with Antec before, how long normally the replacement process will take ? Because i need to use my PC everyday :S

Edit: for whatever reason, i did nothing on the PSU and now the noise its gone ? lol

Edited by ladyofbow

looks like its mostly a myth oops :)

http://www.overclock.net/a/capacitor-safet...-power-supplies

mind you even if it did hold a full charge to give you a good shock you would need a weak hear or something for it to kill you

i have been shocked from tinkering with 240v a few times although i was never strongly earthed the real risk comes from continuous power that doesnt allow you to let go as all your muscles lock including your heart and it can also burn you a bit

thankfully houses have overloads these days which normally trip much quicker and easier than the old fuses

had a friend tinkering with a old pc that had a 240v power switch in the front he thought was 12v... it slightly melted the braces in his moth scaring the inside of his mouth

hell if your heart does stop giving yourself a quick crack from the power may just save your life

Edited by Dasa

Edit: for whatever reason, i did nothing on the PSU and now the noise its gone ? lol

Yes you did; you poked a stick in the fan. If it was 1mm out of alignment you probably straightened it up :)

Also, I'd never bother warrantying a PSU for a fan. Especially if you use it everyday; just cop the $10 on the chin and replace the fan. Even if you cant solder, just twist and heatshrink (or electrical tape) the wires IMO. (though I'm sure there is some electrical standards i'm breaking, lol)