Sign in to follow this  
Director

Intermittant Network Problems

BAh, this is weird.

Having issues with the home network ATM.

Was working OK using the Thomspon router from Telstra but I wanted a bit more wireless range and Thomson was a bit flakey on occasion and locked down with Telstra firmware.

So after doing some research I settled on an Asus RT-N66U router to replace it, I also have an Asus 8 port switch which plugs into the router.

So on the network I have PC1, PC2, a NAS, a laptop (wireless) and Popcornhour media streamer.

If I open the laptop (linux) I can everything except PC1.

On PC1, if I click 'network' it only shows PC1.

After I unchecked IPv6 in the router yesterday it started working as normal and all devices could see each other. It was still working OK this morning then sometime during the day it started dropping devices from the network to the point where I can't see anything on PC1.

If I look at the router it shows all devices connected and all in the proper domain 192.168.1.x

But I'm not out of ideas, is it a dodgy router or is there something in the Asus setup that I should have been doing but didn't? (I did a factory reset yesterday to no avail) Have latest firmware etc.

PC1 and PC2 are running Windows 7 pro, the laptop is running Windows 8/ Linuxmint 16 (can see all devices except PC1)?

Again, this is intermittent with the Asus router and I had no issues with the Thompson.

Hope that makes sense. :)

Edit, Tried a different NIC in PC1, can now see all devices again. Can see all devices including PC1 on the Laptop and PC 2.

Too weird. or faulty NIC? (But why would it work OK on the Thomspon?)

(FWIW PC1, the main PC is a Q6600 on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 mobo. A few years old now but still seems fine otherwise. )

Edited by Director

:)

Too many variables my friend, shrink the fault domain, seems the Asus router might be it, very unlikely to be the clients, if it is then that's local and not something you need to make changes on the entire network to resolve.

Be aware of how networked devices appear on the map of a network via a cheapo router - no activity, they can drop off.

I'm really not sure since you disabled IP V.6 just what impediment you have on your network, define that, see if we can troubleshoot it.

Cheers

Starting to look like an ESET firewall problem.

Have uninstalled ESET and thing seem OK, will update if they change. :)

It certainly does :) Same thing happens all the time with ZoneAlarm installs.

I'm a HUGE fan of NOD32 back in the day.... when it went all 'security suite' on me, I ran for the hills.

I'm on windows.... I already HAVE a firewall... not to mention, my router has NAT and SPI, why the hell would i need another from my 'antivirus'? blech!

Yeah I reinstalled it yesterday and all seems good for now. They still make NOD32 BTW. No plans to change unless I have to cos my subscription is good until 2016. :)

Oh, maybe i'll look into it.

When the 'Security Suite' came out, for a while it phased out NOD32. Musta brought it back :)

Edited by Master_Scythe

:)

Stopped using Nod years ago, and Zone Alarm for that matter.

Software firewalls especially ones integrated with other security tools are something that I don't have a lot of faith in at the low-cost level. Granted it's all software in the end but I sort of prefer a firewall protecting the network rather than the individual machines.

Cheers

Yeah NOD doesnt interest me anymore after looking into it.

Its more than an antivirus; which sucks. I JUST want an antivirus. Memory resident is fine too; but thats all.

AVAST allows you to untick all the shields at installation; I just leave the 'web' shield, and the 'resident' shield ticked. Its SUPER light when you run it like that.

ClamAV is nice, it has no memory resident scan, but really, I'd have to RUN the damn virus first and I'm not that silly. This is the barebones.

Detection rates arent anywhere near avast, but Microsoft Security Essentials is basically 'just' an antivirus.

regardless, i'll stick with avast. a 'custom' install lets me keep it slim, and theres a single checkbox that lets me turn off 'the cloud'. Works for me.