Sign in to follow this  
gongguy

ssd noob reporting in......

building a new system and want to install my o.s and games (pretty much only play bfbc2 anyway lol) onto the ssd

my question is ive never played with a ssd ,let alone used one at all,what size should i get and when u load the os does it give u an option to where it goes? e.g the hhd or ssd....

also anything else i need to know about these things,just asking as ive never had one on any system ive owned before...cheers guys

tony

Yep, it gives you the option. Just like if you had 2 or 3 normal HDD's.

With a modern OS on modern hardware, you'll see no difference :)

I have a 128GB Samsung 830, and its holding my whole steam library and OS, no problem. 30GB remaining :)

Option of where to install is only presented when you choose to perform 'Custom Install' of windows.

gongguy, the no-brainer/no-fail approach is to do this:

Connect SSD to the first SATA port on the motherboard. (It'll usually be denoted as 'SATA0', but on some motherboards it might be denoted 'SATA1'.)

Disconnect all other hard drives.

Install Windows.

Reconnect your other hard drive(s) and (if you make use of such features) configure your Libraries etc for default save to wherever you want them to be.

Can't fail (or get confused) doing it that way :)

ok thanx mate.im building a new system , so the ssd is going to be the only drive for a while till i install my 2tb hdd for pics n stuff

I have a 120GB Intel SSD with Windows 8.1 on it. It has a 30GB games folder on there, among a bunch of other stuff like OFfice and etc, but I also keep the majority of my profile data on a HDD.

I'm running 128Gb Samsung SSD on my games rig, with Windows 7. Plenty enough room for the Windows install, a handy library of productivity/general purpose software, and a reasonable number of 'currently playing' game installs.

Edited by Catweazle