Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

Windows 8 cant log out

So theres a MOE where I work, and despite being the 'on site tech' we don't get local admin (we have a network admin account though).

Anyway, someone who cannot be contacted very easily has left themselves logged into (locked) a windows 8 pro tablet we have. This Tablet has ALSO lost domain trust (so there is NO logging into it.

Selecting 'Other User' there is no restart button like there was in windows 7, and hard-power cycling the device (10 seconds on the power button; no removable battery) causes it to reboot with it STILL locked to him.

How the blooody hell do I log him out\reboot? I need to reach the Left-Shift- Troubleshoot menu to rebuild the MOE.

Ideas? USB boot and kill whatever's remembering he's logged in?

The issue of it still being locked to the user when you turn it off, is that it's not actually shutting down, it's doing a 'fast boot' shutdown.

You need to shutdown the device via that other menu (can't remember it's name) the one that is in the bottom left hand corner when you hover over that area, then select shutdown from there.

Edited by PointZeroOne

its the bottom right corner, and that menu isnt there. Thats why I'm so stuck.

Is there no way to hard power off a tablet?

I tried plugging in a USB keyboard with multimedia keys, and pushing 'power' but Windows8 seems to ignore it.

Getting to the point where I think ACER just needs to replace the device.

Brainstorm..... Since I can 'fastboot' I can get to the BIOS.

If I switch the UEFI bios, to 'Legacy Bios' mode, wont that disable fast boot, and allow a hard shutdown?

Well its locked; so no, there is no menu.

What I get is this screen

Posted Image

with one exception, NO POWER SYMBOL IN THE BOTTOM RIGHT!

normally I'd just select restart anyway; but the option isn't there.

I even drained the battery and it STILL boots locked to that user!

Something else to try:

Plug in the keyboard again, and try for a safe mode keypress when you soft reboot it.

Is there any way to gain access to its filesystem to manually edit boot.ini or something?

Something else to try:

Plug in the keyboard again, and try for a safe mode keypress when you soft reboot it.

Is there any way to gain access to its filesystem to manually edit boot.ini or something?

SHIFT when you reboot (onscreen kb) can give you new options like safe mode. F8 might also work.

Used to be holding power on the device should "clunk power off" and prevent sleeping

yeah holding power wont hard reset on these ACER's, and the SHIFT trick happens when you select reboot; which I cant do, since the power menu isnt on screen.