Sign in to follow this  
fajw

SSD + cache SSD = ?

If I was to have a computer with an SSD for Windows and programs and an HDD for documents, pictures, audio, video, etc, would adding a cache SSD be alright? Can you set it to cache only the HDD or would it try to cache the other SSD and therefore mess things up?

If I was to have a computer with an SSD for Windows and programs and an HDD for documents, pictures, audio, video, etc, would adding a cache SSD be alright? Can you set it to cache only the HDD or would it try to cache the other SSD and therefore mess things up?

depends what you get

some software can cache any drive others can only cache the os drive

i think the dataplex software has been updated so that it now can which comes with some ssd cache drives that dont seem to be stocked in au anymore

from memory the sandisk 30g cache drive software can but im not sure

i dont know what software is available to buy on its own

from memory the intel chipset cache setup was for os only

i think the dataplex software has been updated so that it now can which comes with some ssd cache drives that dont seem to be stocked in au anymore

Yes it can now be set to cache a specific HDD. The early versions of the software only did the boot drive.

from memory the intel chipset cache setup was for os only

I also think that changed with the newer versions of SRT and Intel rapid storage technology.

You also need to remember that to use SRT the SATA controller has to be in RAID mode (although you don't configure a raid array in the bios) which means at best a registry hack to allow windows to boot and at worst a Windows reinstall.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the complexity, instead I would use an SSHD instead to have caching acceleration on a HDD.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...th=210_902_1205

Only 8Gb of NAND

http://www.seagate.com/www-content/product...88-2-1308us.pdf

for the caching but this is surprisingly effective if the drive is for games.

And of course no BIOS/OS fiddling as the caching is all done at the HDD firmware level.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the complexity, instead I would use an SSHD instead to have caching acceleration on a HDD.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...th=210_902_1205

Only 8Gb of NAND

http://www.seagate.com/www-content/product...88-2-1308us.pdf

for the caching but this is surprisingly effective if the drive is for games.

And of course no BIOS/OS fiddling as the caching is all done at the HDD firmware level.

How effective are those when used as a secondary drive for game installs? I've been considering adding one to my games box, but am having difficulty finding informed reviews or discussions which aren't oriented toward either an assumption that the drive will be used as System Drive, or an assumption that the usage will be office/general.

How effective are those when used as a secondary drive for game installs? I've been considering adding one to my games box, but am having difficulty finding informed reviews or discussions which aren't oriented toward either an assumption that the drive will be used as System Drive, or an assumption that the usage will be office/general.

Well mine seems to help a bit. Games and level changes do seem to load faster than when I had them on the conventional HDD, but due to the nature of caching it only improves after the game has been loaded a couple of times. Never done bench comparisons, this is just what I have observed and of course it could just be because I believe it is faster. :P

My CrystalDiskmark + AS-SSD benchmarks show the drives being capable of reading 125MB/s, which could still be within the "read speed" spec of the 5400RPM drive.

I put one in a laptop, bootup is VERY fast, Windows opening and closing of things is faster than mechanical, but not as fast as SSD's.

I think trying to find specific numbers for speeds isn't the way, but just using these for a bit of time, you'll see their a great in between.

That said, I'd NEVER get one for a desktop, only for a laptop. The HUGE speed increase of an SSD isn't there, but it makes do with what it can, and that's pleasantly pleasing enough for a laptop.

Where Mechanical VS SSD is night and day difference , SSHD vs Mechanical is only night and day on bootup, usual windows usability is sped up but not speedy.

Edited by drawesome