Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
spankdmonke

Is this a PSU problem?

Sometimes when i turn my PC on it doesnt start.

When i take the plug out of the wall adapter and when i put it back in theres a spark where the plug goes into the adapter and the PC fires up from that spark...

No.

Its a motherboard issue

Your PC is set to recover from AC power off by turning on; thats why it works when you physically unplug the power.

Simply, your PC isnt actually powering off, or isnt responding to a power on; try resetting your motherboard\bios to optimised default; also clean the pins on your RAM and GPU.

Probably a good idea to switch off at the PSU if it has a switch before unplugging from the wall, especially if it's going to a powerboard that doesn't have individual switches.

Similarly, it's also a very good idea before working on the computer - turn off at the PSU switch, press the soft power switch in front to drain any residual. Leave plugged into the wall but switched off at the wall to provide proper grounding.

I'm not a sparky; but does the ground pin in australian power sockets get 'switched'?

So if we flick it off at the wall; the ground gets cut?

Ground in household circuit actually runs to ground. That doesn't somehow get 'disconnected, when the outlet is switched off.

But I genuinely don't like the suggestion of leaving power cord connected to power outlet when working on PC internals. Makes it too easy to make a mistake and not realise power outlet is actually turned on. 'Isolate' is better, imo. You only really need to discharge static before touching the internals, and make sure you're not on a carpet surface etc etc.

whys that cat? only risk it turning the PC on, which wont hurt you. the PC only sees 12v at max.

I remember about 4 years ago we had a member arguing about 12v being 'dangerous' and we all posted short videos or pics of tripped PSU cables in our mouths turning them on. Most one of us got was a numb tongue; most of us got nothing. We're terrible conductors.

or more specifically; awfully resistant.

Safer for the PC internals is why. Power needs to be isolated from motherboard before connecting/disconnecting anything inside the PC, and the best way to ensure that is to ensure that the PC isn't connected to power outlet.

That leaves only static in your body to potentially fry components, and eliminating static is pretty easy to do:

• Be mindful of what you're wearing, coz synthetics and wool generate static buildup.
  • Don't work on carpet, coz that'll do the same. (If you haven't a decent work area set up, then kitchen bench is a static-free area that's probs the best lit spot in the house.)
  • Discharge static before you touch components. Touching the metal chassis/drive cage/whatever inside the case is good enough for that.

I'm not concerned in the slightest about people being princesses over getting zapped. I only care about the PC :-)

just for note, only when working on my own gear, but ive unplugged and reseated cards many a time with the PC on.

Even fully fledged GPU's. Unplug, replug, 'scan for hardware changes'. As long as its an easy access case, you'd be pretty unlucky to put voltage up the wrong pins IMO.

People always think the PC would lock up. Nahp.

Not arguing at all; you're right; just an fyi :)

Edited by Master_Scythe

It happened again, i forgot to power drain after i turned it off, but i did this when it didnt turn on again:

Switched off PSU

Switched off Plug in wall, left it in.

Held down reset to drain power

Still didnt work.

I havnt tried the reset of mobo bios yet, but i have reinserted the GPU and RAM recently. It was doing the same thing before i touched those.

Maybe the adapter is abit stuffed

Edited by spankdmonke

It's the momentary power switch to drain power, not Reset.

I meant my power button, i dont have a reset button.

I did that drain thing last night after i turned it off and it worked, it even flashed its blue light after 5 secs telling me it was drained. Turned it on just now and it works fine. Thanks

So to stop me from having to do this all the time i reset bios and update it again?

Edited by spankdmonke

Check your bios revision and see if you need an update. But, every once in awhile I sometimes need to reset my bios too. I just load my profile bios, the one I have saved, back after the resetting.

Check your bios revision and see if you need an update. But, every once in awhile I sometimes need to reset my bios too. I just load my profile bios, the one I have saved, back after the resetting.

Thanks

LOL

Every time you do that you're one step closer to bricking a graphics card or mobo.

heh heh....

its a Work horse PC used for testing 'free' and old cards. If it fried I wouldnt mind.

That said... its been almost 10 years now and no damage :D But i'm sure one day it'll zap.

It's the momentary power switch to drain power, not Reset.

Goes to show. Can always learn new tricks. I've been fiddling with PCs since XT clone days, and never knew that one. I've always just left rigs sit for a while before powering up again, if they were chucking periodic hissy-fits like that.

It seems to be getting worse now, and that hold the power button down trick to drain the power isnt working anymore.

Whats the best way to reset Bios?

My manual says to "Load Optimized Defaults" I did that but its still the same (latest) Bios version. So that must be just for the Bios settings.

Should i update it to an older bios vers. and then update it again back to the latest?

or should i reset CMOS or something?

Edited by spankdmonke

If you suspect the BIOS settings are corrupt it's usually better to just reset and start from scratch.

General way there is via powering down totally then set the Reset CMOS jumper for 30 seconds then set back to normal before powerup again.

Or just power down and pull the battery for 30 seconds.

Once you're up again and have system settings you're happy with, some BIOSes will have an option to save the configuration. Comes in handy if you have to reset again, you can just load up a config then only need set the datetime.

spankdmonke, do you know what a capacitor looks like? The little cylinder things?

If any of them are the 'old type' your mobo could be on its way out, and if you're not handy with a soldering iron, could be the end, lol.

On the right hand side of this page

http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

you'll see 4 pictures, enlarge them. ANY sort of swelling of ANY capacitor, means its toast.

I havnt checked the capacitors but,

Its working back to normal now, i also didnt change the bios.

I went to look for the bios battery and jumper, couldnt find it and couldnt be bother taking it all apart (at that moment) to see if it was behind the heatsink.

Then later on, my headphone jack broke off and is stuck in the mobo sound output. Took out the gfx card to get to it easier from inside, didnt workout.

(oh well, this gives me a reason now to get that Asus STX i want :D)

I put gfx back in and gave the pc a spray over with canned air

now its working

But i already did all this same stuff a few weeks ago when it was playing up then aswell, so i dont know.

Edited by spankdmonke

reseating the GPU could have been enough :)

hopefully thats all it was.

When you spray canned air, always hold the fans still or they'll generate voltage and fry your gear.

You are perfectly OK to use a compressor, as long as it has a water trap on it.

reseating the GPU could have been enough :)

hopefully thats all it was.

When you spray canned air, always hold the fans still or they'll generate voltage and fry your gear.

You are perfectly OK to use a compressor, as long as it has a water trap on it.

Thanks! i never knew about this. :)