Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

USB Backup Storage

Having read all the mags and links to backing up data ,one question always pops up in my mind.

How long can data last on a USB stick? Can Data be destroyed by not using it enough and losing it charge into the USB Stick.

Looking around Adelaide i see USB Sticks getting cheaper by the day and Blank DVD's virtually disappearing.

So if i backup a Drive onto a USB Stick and leave it say for a Year will the Data still be their?

I'd not trust them, or DVDs for "mission critical" data.

When you consider cost per Gig, HDDs are competitive against practically all other media types.

A 500 Gig USB powered drive on special can be had for less than 2 packs of 50 DVD blanks providing similar capacity.

Although getting cheaper, thumbdrive flash is still expensive compared to others - and slow.

Most "trouble" I've had with flashdrives has been mysterious problems with either computer or usually settop box refusing to work with them, probably caused by removing while the computer hadn't offloaded all data to them, usually fixed by reformatting.

at least with mechanical drives you can try repair them, or send them away for restore from an electron microscope (even though it costs thousands).

considering how long they last I'm actually considering a tape drive...

So they are not really safe then ,maybe for temp storage.

I have an old Astone external drive case with a IDE HDD drive in it. Been using this for years with an old Drive in it ,can still find data on it from 7 years ago.

Only problem is you cannot format via USB ,which is strange.

Looks like i might have to stick with either DVD, Ext Drive or thinking about a Dropbox account but privacy is my concern here.

Any backup media can fail at any time. So if data is important to you back up to multiple storage media and "refresh" the backups at regular intervals.

Also do test recovers to another location to make sure you can actually read the data.