Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

Elite Dangerous out soon

Looks like Elite from David Braben is finally in the latest stages of Development and the Alpha build is available for testing.

Elite site

Should be interesting to see how it plays. Space sims seriously lacking in the modern era.

Used to play Elite 2 on the Amiga. It was OK but had it's flaws.

Heaps of clips on Youtube this clip is good shows you the docking and allows you too look for a spaceport inside station.

They've actually worked through multiple Alpha builds, the latest one is Alpha 3.4.

As a fan and player of the very original version on the BBC Micro, I've been watching the various updates, videos and reviews. Looks quite promising.

Edited by spyder

As mentioned earlier 100 pounds for playing Alpha build and its Online only ,seems like a very expensive game to even try out.

Might wait until its actually released and out of Beta ,it may be cheaper. Anyone checked Steam to see if its available on their.

Crowdsourcing has become a bit of a farce IMO. Why would you pay up to 6 times the expected retail to play what's probably a very incomplete and buggy gaming experience?

It's just blatant profiteering.

Crowdsourcing has become a bit of a farce IMO. Why would you pay up to 6 times the expected retail to play what's probably a very incomplete and buggy gaming experience?

Agreed. Was thinking may be David Braben put the price up in expectation that a massive surge of people would sign up as it was popular many years ago. And the fact that he Advertised this on Kickstarter to bypass profiteering from huge software publishers .

Kinda strange its Online only too.

One reason why the Alpha was so high in cost was it restricts the number of testers. This makes it much easier for the developer to communicate to the Alpha test team. Sorts the signal from the static, so to speak.

No kidding! I've been saying it repeatedly here . But apparently there's no shortage of enablers.

Just as I predicted, nowadays 1/2 the fucking games on Steam are full-price alphas from developers of every size whether they can afford testing or not. It's fucking disgusting.

And really, spyder? Charging through the nose for an alpha is to restrict the number of testers? With the amount of interest in this game, they couldn't find volunteers testers?

Just as I predicted, nowadays 1/2 the fucking games on Steam are full-price alphas from developers of every size whether they can afford testing or not. It's fucking disgusting.

Yeah. As I have been saying for years - if people are paying they are entitled to a finished, working, product.

I was really upset to see a "Beta" advertised in a store catalogue the other day too.

Alpha and Beta have become a way of saying "it's not ready - but here it is..."

The only possible solution we have is under Australian Consumer Law there are certain protections - but they only apply to products purchased here - and if they tell you it's not done and you buy it anyway then you possibly cannot do anything.

I'm not particularly against the practice, as long as it's made clear it's not a final release people are paying for.

Some people legitimately want to help test the game during development and offer feedback (and maybe get their name thrown into the in-game credits). Even if most just want to peek at how it changes every so often. But it's not like their arms are being twisted to hand over the money.

Just checked out the currency exchange to what a 100 pounds is in AUD ,which is $178 . Guess this game is off my radar for a while.

I'm not particularly against the practice, as long as it's made clear it's not a final release people are paying for.

Some people legitimately want to help test the game during development and offer feedback (and maybe get their name thrown into the in-game credits). Even if most just want to peek at how it changes every so often. But it's not like their arms are being twisted to hand over the money.

So why not sign these guys on as Beta testers? You know, the way it has always worked before now.

It seems to me that the somebody realized that "hey! We can CHARGE these people for helping us out! Let's take their time AND their money!"

Sure, nobody is twisting people's arms, but taking advantage of people's generosity and their enthusiasm for the game to make a few extra bucks by selling unfinished product? I consider that pretty scummy behaviour.

Edited by Oracle X

So why not sign these guys on as Beta testers? You know, the way it has always worked for now.

It seems to me that the somebody realized that "hey! We can CHARGE these people for helping us out! Let's take their time AND their money!"

Sure, nobody is twisting people's arms, but taking advantage of people's generosity and their enthusiasm for the game to make a few extra bucks by selling unfinished product? I consider that pretty scummy behaviour.

Agreed. In addition, paying customers (that have already paid, I mean) make for poor testers. Often these people feel they now already 'own' the product (which they do - but not in the way they think) and they push their own agenda rather than try to make a good final product.

So why not sign these guys on as Beta testers? You know, the way it has always worked for now.

Agreed. In addition, paying customers (that have already paid, I mean) make for poor testers. Often these people feel they now already 'own' the product (which they do - but not in the way they think) and they push their own agenda rather than try to make a good final product.

Reading a few reviews on this game its seems it will be copying most of what happens in EvE Online. It will have buying and selling items which can be converted into cash and vice versa. But it sounds more like this game will move into Premium Beta in Late May, but it seems not many are discussing the high price for playing beta.