Sign in to follow this  
Oracle X

Looking For a New Build

hey all,

I'm looking to replace my ageing machine and am looking for some recommendations.

My budget is around $2500 - $2800 and I'm looking for the fastest, more bad ass gaming machine in that price range.

Here's what I got in mind so far:

CPU: no particular preference, performance and quality obviously, $300-$400. My choices are down to i7 4771 or i5 4670, I heard the i5 is plenty good for gaming and i7 maybe overkill but keep in mind I need this thing to last 4 years so it might be worth the extra $100 to get an i7?

Motherboard: Not sure, will depend on the CPU. ASRock Z87M Extreme4 maybe or Gigabyte H87 GA-H87M-D3H

RAM: G.SKILL RipjawsX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600MHz

Video Card: AMD R9 290X

Case: Something easy to open with usb ports on top, and ofcos, looks like a boss. I like the Thermaltake Armor Revo or Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper

SSD HDD:Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Other HDDs: 2 x WD 2TB or 1 Seagate 4 TB, I can always add more latter

Optical: generic DVD/BR player

PSU: Not really sure but something high end and packs a punch, Corsair RM-850?

Cooling: something quiet but powerful, though not liquid cooling, Noctua NH-D14 or D15 maybe?

What I already have: headphones, keyboard, mouse, monitor.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Oracle X

oh hell no, I hate Windows 8. Fuck that shit. 7 all the way for me.

ok Locking in the Samsung SSD.

Edited by Oracle X

yeah 8's way more stable, tons faster, handles memory really well.

And I'm making a wild stab in the dark here, but I bet microsoft offer a 'stupid cheap' upgrade to their rushed out Windows 9 in the next year, for all those who were unhappy with 8 (though, god knows why you would be?)

people get hung up that their start menu is now full screen. Honestly? I havent used the start menu in a long time.

yeah 8's way more stable, tons faster, handles memory really well.

And I'm making a wild stab in the dark here, but I bet microsoft offer a 'stupid cheap' upgrade to their rushed out Windows 9 in the next year, for all those who were unhappy with 8 (though, god knows why you would be?)

people get hung up that their start menu is now full screen. Honestly? I havent used the start menu in a long time.

Windows 8.1 Update 1 is great. I don't have any problems with the OS since the update.

Apparently Windows 8 is much more efficient when using SSDs as well. You get more out of your SSD when combining it with Win 8 OS.

Edited by bowlen

I hear what you're saying, but I've had bad experiences with Windows 8 and generally having to deal with it is a hassle. Whereas windows 7 is tested and trusted. So unless windows 8 offers a huge improvement, I would rather stick with the devil I know.

I hear what you're saying, but I've had bad experiences with Windows 8 and generally having to deal with it is a hassle. Whereas windows 7 is tested and trusted. So unless windows 8 offers a huge improvement, I would rather stick with the devil I know.

Windows 8.1 offers a huge improvement! Just make sure you do the 8.1 update though.

Yup. HUGE improvement. no way you'd ever opt for old 7.

literally the only usability difference once you untic all the 'fancy stuff' is the start menu stays full screen. meh.

I would use 8.1 if it wasn't for compatibility issues with old games. I am using 7 and I haven't noticed a huge difference though I haven't been using it for very long.

I would go with an Enermax PSU but the Corsair will probably be fine.

I like Noctua CPU coolers except for the fact that their compatibility list isn't always reliable. I bought one recently that was supposed to be compatible with my motherboard but it isn't.

It was my mistake.

To add to the confusion my motherboard has two labels: 990FX Extreme 4 (which I believe is the correct label) and 890FX Deluxe 4, so I do not trust Noctua's compatiblity list.

Edited by fajw

With the good memory managment, I'm yet to be unlucky enough to find an old game that wont run well in a virtual machine :) (16bit games mostly)

Never had an issue.

Ok, I guess I could do more research on that and go with 8.1 if it's really worth it. Thanks for the tip.

Any thoughts on the CPU/MOBO?

I don't have any plans to overclock this so that's why I'm going with the non-K version.

I assume you're referring to the Z87? I guess I will have to change the cooler to a D14 or D15

What about the Gigabyte H87 GA-H87M-D3H

Edited by Oracle X

To add to the confusion my motherboard has two labels: 990FX Extreme 4 (which I believe is the correct label) and 890FX Deluxe 4, so I do not trust Noctua's compatiblity list.

Edited by fajw

So my final build is:

CPU: i7 4771 or i5 4670 or it's significantly cheaper

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87

RAM: G.SKILL RipjawsX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600MHz

Video Card: AMD R9 290X

Case: Cooler Master HAF X

SSD HDD:Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Other HDDs: 1 Seagate 4 TB

Optical: generic DVD/BR player

PSU: Corsair RM-850

Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 or D15

With the good memory managment, I'm yet to be unlucky enough to find an old game that wont run well in a virtual machine :) (16bit games mostly)

Never had an issue.

What virtual machine software?

both Microsoft Virtual Machine and VMware free. They can booth Hook DirectX so they seem pretty happy.

Anything older than windows 98 days (and even then) will often run in DosBox

CPU: i7 4771 - $345

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87 - $270

RAM: G.SKILL RipjawsX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600MHz - $170

Video Card: AMD R9 290X - $645

Case: Cooler Master HAF X - $195

SSD HDD:Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - $170

Other HDDs: 1 Seagate 4 TB - $242

Optical: generic DVD/BR player -

PSU: Corsair RM-850 - $170

Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 - $90

---

well shit, this is hitting the ceiling of my budget. I might have to down grade the mobo and cpu.

i7 vs i5 is only ~3% faster in most games

games that make use of over 4 threads may see higher gains but with dual core cpu that have ht while it can get the games playable its often not a smooth experience

better to upgrade sooner or overclock which will provide much bigger gains than a i7 for gaming

if you want to do benchmarking or rendering though then a i7 is the way to go

the 4tb seagate is a low rpm drive so only get this for storage not programs

i like the toshiba 3tb myself having a 3y warranty which is longer than the other drives in its price range from wd\seagate

mb and psu are suitable for 290x crossfire

by saving some cash in some places you could probably make that build into a 290 cf system now since there $450ea

edit probably worth going for faster ram if you have a z87 mb

1600 c10 4771 could be slower than 4670 1866 c9

Edited by Dasa

I had a look around here's my options for a slight downgrade:

CPU: i5 4670

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-D3H

Ram: G.Skill 8GB Kit (2x4GB) DDR3 Ares C9 1866MHz (Or keep the 16GB)

PSU: Something in the 650-750MW range for possible Crossfire in the future? Maybe the Corsair Professional Gold AX-750

Video: Is it still worth getting the 290X or will 290 be good enough especially since I might be able to Crossfire latter?

Edited by Oracle X