Sign in to follow this  
cleadge

networking woes.

So long story short had been using a D-Link DSL-2740B for the last 2 years (at current residence) when it started to develop a wireless issue (regular dropouts and poor Lan speed).

Replaced it with a loaner TP-Link TD-W8960N and still getting dropouts and terrible Lan performance (unable to stream video or audio 90% of the time) from 2 meters away in the same room, and internet speed seems to max at 200kb/s (usual speed is 2.2mb/s max).

(had a telstra tech out twice for noisy phone line first guy repaired it but came back the next day and effected internet, second guy redid everything noisy line fixed and internet stable)

So i have been thinking of getting standalone parts for the network rather then just one unit which does it all.

something like

TP-LINK TD-8817 1 ethernet port and 1 USB port ADSL2+ Modem

TP-LINK TL-SG1008D 8-port Desktop Gigabit Switch.

Wireless router/range extender (actually have two wireless routers somewhere)

in my experience the wireless always goes funny first, i was thinking this way when it does its just a simple swap of the wireless for upgrade/replace.

We are also looking at installing some security cams possibly PoE in the not to distant future.

So my fellow atomicans what are your thaughts on this.

TP-LINK TD-8817

Not a good idea if you have a crappy line as it is a Trendchip modem.

If you have a noisy and/or long phone line you are generally best off with a Broadcom chipset modem or possibly Lantiq chipset.

Can you log in to the modem interface and post the connection stats?

Something like

down up

SNR Margin (dB) 2.8 8.0

Attenuation (dB) 57.0 30.5

Output Power (dBm) 18.1 12.2

Attainable Rate (Kbps) 3136 1144

Rate (Kbps) 3008 864

Also have you tried a new ADSL filter? these do get old and crappy. If you are using a long phone lead between wall and modem, try a new short lead (under two metres).

If you have one of those old flat pin wall plugs, unplug and plug it back in half a dozen times to "wipe" the contacts.

Why do you need an 8 port switch at the modem?

As for the loaner also giving LAN and WLAn problems. If the owner says it works fine for him then you need to check your network devices LAN settings and drivers first.

cheers for the speedy reply.

i didnt look into that modem just picked the first which appeared to be suitable, thanks for the heads up on the chipsets.

heres the stats

Downstream Upstream

Line Coding(Trellis): On On

SNR Margin (0.1 dB): 64 99

Attenuation (0.1 dB): 65 51

Output Power (0.1 dBm): 29 121

Attainable Rate (Kbps): 25880 1097

Yea tried a new filter

also had the internal wall plug replaced when the tech was here

the lead is 30cm

as for the 8 ports we use 3 for PCs 1 for a printer and 1 for xbox the rest would be for future devices/spares

The loaner is brand new, only plan to use it until the return packaging turns up for it.

cheers for the speedy reply.

i didnt look into that modem just picked the first which appeared to be suitable, thanks for the heads up on the chipsets.

heres the stats

Downstream Upstream

Line Coding(Trellis): On On

SNR Margin (0.1 dB): 64 99

Attenuation (0.1 dB): 65 51

Output Power (0.1 dBm): 29 121

Attainable Rate (Kbps): 25880 1097

Yea tried a new filter

also had the internal wall plug replaced when the tech was here

the lead is 30cm

as for the 8 ports we use 3 for PCs 1 for a printer and 1 for xbox the rest would be for future devices/spares

The loaner is brand new, only plan to use it until the return packaging turns up for it.

Damn you must be right on top of the exchange or CMUX.

With those stats I would not bother with a Broadcom chipset specifically.

Anything will work with the Trendchip ones probably giving the best speed.

However no reason the TD-W8960N could not be used permanently if you want. Make sure it has the current firmware then you can either use it as a modem router or disable the wireless and set it up in bridge mode to run a more powerful router behind it.

I would not use the TP-LINK TD-8817 as a router it be pretty crap for that but should be ok in pure bridge mode. In pure bridge mode you will then need a router (not a switch) between the TP-LINK TD-8817 and any network devices.

So TP-LINK TD-8817 <----> new router <-----> devices + switches + wireless APs (or routers in WAN bypass mode).

Good stuff on the filter, it is often overlooked when troubleshooting problems.

For the loaner, for LAN problems make sure you have all devices set to DHCP and auto gateway and auto DNS servers to start with.

Leave the modem on get DNS automatically from ISP.

On a wireless LAN device install some sort of WLAN frequency finder (like http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ ) and do a scan of the WLAN environment to check for any other WLANs that may be interfering.

Also note some cordless phones can cause major WLAN interference.

Yea about 100m LOS to the exchange.

TP-LINK TD-8817 <----> new router <-----> devices + switches + wireless APs (or routers in WAN bypass mode).

Was the direction i was heading.

they aren't actually LAN issues its all on the wireless side (physically connected devices work perfect), for instance the mrs laptop will loose local network or internet for 1-2min then regain it for 1-5min then the cycle starts over (not to concerned about the loner as it was just for the purpose of diagnosing our old hardware).

i will definitely check out inssider, as the thaught did cross my mind, then was immediately shuffled aside when our net played up.

Didn't consider the wireless phone.

Ill see if i can find a channel not over populated, and make sure our cordless phone is off.