Sign in to follow this  
Ishta2000

Where is my sound being processed?

Hi All,

Excuse my ignorance but I am trying to work out how to get the best sound quality out of my pc.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR515 receiver and I have my video and sound running from my video card to the receiver via a HDMI 1.4 cable.

What I can't figure out is if the sound is being processed by my ATI video card or the on-board sound card built into my motherboard.

Sound I be using an optical cable for the sound instead of the HDMI cable or should I purchase a new sound card to process the sound?

Any questions just fire away and sorry I am at work and can't remember the which MB I have or else I would list that. Its not the one in my Signature.

Cheers

The video card. The receiver is what will do the digital to analogue conversion though so that and the speakers will determine the clarity.

Edited by fajw

The video card. The receiver is what will do the digital to analogue conversion though so that and the speakers will determine the clarity.`

Thank mate. Can I ask if there is any point getting a better sound card for the computer or should I just stick with what I have?

Cheers

Sound cards are there for the DAC. If you're using a DAC in your receiver - which I assume is happening if you're sending audio via HDMI - then I'm not sure you'll get much value from a new sound card.

If you look under Sound in the Control Panel, the AMD HDMI output should be selected as default. This means that the AMD driver will take care of sound duties, and not your onboard motherboard sound. In this case it's purely digital and should not have any effect on sound processing at all, it's just handing it off to the Onkyo receiver.

I googled your receiver, it supports audio input via HDMI. That is your best bet for full 7.1 HD audio in Dolby TrueHD or Master. Both are found basically only on Blu-Ray discs. If optical output is the only option, like for older devices, it also supports 7.1 channels but won't support the higher quality (instead it will fallback to other DTS formats).

Interestingly the Onkyo you have does 24/192 audio files which is pretty nice, though you do have to tell Windows explicitly to output at that bitrate and play specific files. There are a couple 24/192 freebies to download if you search via Google but for most content leaving it at 16/48 is fine.

tl;dr HDMI 1.4 best, Optical second best, coaxial third best.

external DAC (probably by Moon Audio) = best :P

but otherwise yes. HDMI will be nicest when you're running in-amp DAC

Thank you everyone for your replies.

That helped a lot and I am pretty happy with the quality I am getting.

Cheers