Sign in to follow this  
cohmoddersolo

ATX case with inverted motherboard placement?

Hey guys,

so Im looking for an ATX case thats motherboard placement is inverted. One where the side panel that comes off is the right one, not the usual left side of the case.

Posted Image

Would be great to know if theres some cheap decent ones out there. Does anyone know?

It's called "BTX" - the intention was for it to replace ATX but it didn't really catch on.

The offered advantages were that graphics cards would now have the components + HSF on the upper side allowing better heat dispersal and the PSU would be at the bottom, often seperated by plate structure to help isolate heat coming from it.

I've got a Dell Xeon system here that uses it.

A quick search didn't reap much useful results. You'd probably want a generic case, if you grabbed an old Dell or HP in that form-factor chances are the mounting hardware would probably be only suitable for the motherboard which came with the particular system.

My 4770K Gryphon build is currently fitted into a generic HP Qosmio M-ATX case thats in that form factor, thus why Im looking for an upgrade to get some better cooling, better cable management and better looks.

I currently leave the side panel open just to make sure it gets as much cooling as it needs.

Reason why Ive gone with this form factor is because the location of my PC case is on an edge that denies access to standard ATX form factor.

A quick search reveals there were cases that are convertable from ATX to BTX with upgrade kits (e.g. Coolermaster STC-T01).

Whether they're still available - unknown. Might be worth trying some online stores or doing a WTB in Trademart.

Ill try my luck with WTB threads here and OCAU.

Hopefully Ill be able to get a decent upgrade for my case, otherwise I may need to change my whole computers arrangements!

Cheers mate.

silverstone still has a fair few cases that have the window on the other side some are btx and some have the rear panel at the top of the case

my Coolermaster STC-T01 converted to btx but it involved 100 screws and didnt quiet line u perfectly i still had to trim some metal

Edited by Dasa

The inverted motherboard mount is the exact reason why I'm still using my STC-T01, well, that and the dual powersupply mounts.

I have one of these cases for my NAS. Is a damn great case, and it also available with a window

Not 100% sure if that's what you're looking for but just thought I'd give my 2c :-P

Im interested. Are you looking to sell your unit?

Its got the correct motherboard orientation Im looking for but after finding the Outlaw Im not sure if Im too convinced to stick with an M-ATX case.

My current HP generic M-ATX is so cramped as it is that I leave my side panel open for it to breath, although I guess its no comparison to a proper brand like Silverstone.

If I was to go with an M-ATX case I considered downsizing motherboard to an ITX, perhaps even upgrade to a Z97 while Im at it.

Opinions?

edit: rig is now in sig (hey that rhymes :D)

Edited by cohmoddersolo

I've got a CM Stacker 830 which you can flip the motherboard tray over quickly and easily. If you can pick one up second hand it will do the trick nicely.

I've got a CM Stacker 830 which you can flip the motherboard tray over quickly and easily. If you can pick one up second hand it will do the trick nicely.

If only I could... there's hardly anything decent that comes for sale up here and posting a case from down south can be astronomical.

so you dont like these cases?

Silverstone Raven RV04B-W $169

SilverStone Raven RV02-E $199

Silverstone Fortress FT04 $219

Silverstone Fortress FT02 $229

so you dont like these cases?

Silverstone Raven RV04B-W $169

SilverStone Raven RV02-E $199

Silverstone Fortress FT04 $219

Silverstone Fortress FT02 $229

Not their price tags no.

I was thinking since I have this generic ATX inverted motherboard case in my storeroom Id re-paint it and do some mods on it for a fun project. Wont really have much free time until about 2 weeks tho.

cheap and decent doesnt really go together

the only thing that comes close is the TJ08-e $99 which is only matx

otherwise keep an eye out secondhand

Looks good for the price. I can't see why freight would cost so much, you should find a courier that could send it for under 100 bucks.

Looks good for the price. I can't see why freight would cost so much, you should find a courier that could send it for under 100 bucks.

That was calculated on pccg's website. I've sent them an email this afternoon to see if they can organize a more reasonable postage option.