Sign in to follow this  
Ishta2000

Recommend one - HTC One (7) Samsung S4 or Nexus 5

Hi All,

I am in the market for 2 new smart phones. One for myself and one of the wife. I currently have the Samsung S2 and its great but in need of an upgrade. I have owed the HTC HD2 and loved it too but I am now looking for a new phone and can't decide which one. Reviews really go in favour of people personal choice and even many online reviews are still biased so I am looking for a little help.

Phone is mainly used for calls, text with web surfing and photo taking when a decent camera is not readily available. Battery life is important but as long the phone lasts a whole day on normal use that is fine.

Ok so lets have it......

Definitely HTC or Nexus.

I have the M7 and just upgraded it to Sense 6. It's very nice and fast, compared to older HTCs with sense.

I hate samsung's interface so I will never recommend them. And I know a couple of people who have battery life issues - even one of them was using CM rom with issues of quick draining still.

I've got my M7 setup right with a couple of apps that leave me with 80-90% battery at the end of the day if I don't touch it.

I'll usually come home with about anywhere from 60-80%

My issue with Nexus (own N7 tab since 2012) is no removable storage. Sure, compete with Apple equivalent devices on price/feature/performance but why emulate their practice of not allowing microSD cards?

If you think the available inbuilt flash will be sufficient then fine. But throw in a few map/GPS apps at near 1 Gig each, games that are often in excess of 100 Meg then whatever apps, music, video etc you want to lug around and it'll soon start to tip the scales of a 16 Gig phone.

Definitely HTC or Nexus.

I have the M7 and just upgraded it to Sense 6. It's very nice and fast, compared to older HTCs with sense.

I hate samsung's interface so I will never recommend them. And I know a couple of people who have battery life issues - even one of them was using CM rom with issues of quick draining still.

I've got my M7 setup right with a couple of apps that leave me with 80-90% battery at the end of the day if I don't touch it.

I'll usually come home with about anywhere from 60-80%

Thanks Bushi, Appreciate your advise. I like the M7 too but my wife thinks its too big. I laughed and said they are all the same size these days.

Will probably go with the HTC.

Cheers

I'd probably get the Nexus, but the HTC has maybe the best industrial design of the three.

If your wife thinks the HTC is too big, then the Nexus definitely isn't going to impress, AFAIK it's the thickest of all of them. I have the M7 so that's where my bias is, but maybe for your wife have you considered the Sony Z1 Compact? Packs all of the 5" flagship specs into a much smaller package, with a 4.2" 720P display, quad-core processor, 2GB RAM, 16GB built in storage and a micro SD card slot, Android 4.3 pre-installed (4.42 already available), 20.7 MP camera with LED flash, and to top it all off, it's dust proof and water resistant to 1 metre for 30 minutes. Also has a 2300mah battery, which might seem pretty standard these days, but is quite large for this size phone, and is only powering a 720P screen. Seems to me like it ticks all the boxes, and it's in the same price range.

Nexus 5 for sure. Stock Android just works. Any features the other devices have tend to be trumped by having a device that does what you want when you want, rather than bugging out and being a UX nuisance.

The latest versions of HTC sense seem to be perfect and I have had no issues with it so far.

This is coming from CM10 previously. I'm happy to be on Sense.