Sign in to follow this  
blankjb

120Hz Monitor Help

Hey guys, i'm just wondering if there is actually a noticeable difference in a 60 Hz monitor to a 120Hz +?

The reason for this is that i play the game League of Legends and i run at a capped 60 FPS, using a Benq 2420HD LCD monitor which is quite old. My computer can easily run 100fps ( im using a 7950 Radeon card ) which is what i would like to run at. I see plenty of streamers running at 100 FPS and it seems the game runs smoother than what i play it at. So basically i would like to know if upgrading my monitor to 120Hz IPS monitor will make it play the way the streamers are playing at.

Ps. i also heard that the human eye cant notice more than 60 FPS anyways, is this true?

Thanks for the future help :)

Blankjb

Really, with LCD monitors it doesn't matter that much.

With CRTs, any "modern" monitor will generally have smaller RGB pixels which have lower persistence than a TV or old 80s/90s monitor. As such, many of them would flicker at low refresh rates, 72 Hz used to be the general standard rate that the flicker would be much less noticable and irritable.

With LCDs actually the opposite was the problem, ie they would take some time for a monitor pixel to change state. Going back 5 years or so ago a selling point was lower latency for colour changes of individual pixels.

Unlike CRTs, LCDs don't suffer flicker at low refresh rates.

The new higher refresh rate LCDs will often do interpolation between frames. This is usually the case with TVs, e.g. at 100 Hz it's still receiving the broadcast at the PAL 50 FPS rate but will generate extra frames that can give the impression of smoother motion.

Whether a 120 Hz monitor can receive image from the PC at 120 Hz in high-resolution - I'm not sure there. When you start talking higher resolutions and refresh rates then the transmission limitations of DVI/HDMI can come into play.

Also, when there is image interpolation going on, lag can come into play. Generally the device will do frame buffering and be generating the interpolated frame at the same time and what you see will be "old" information. Not really a problem with a TV transmission but can be an annoyance for gaming.

Edited by Rybags

Well i play the game at 28 ping which is good so no lag, but its just not a smooth as some other professional players that stream. Keep in mind it is an LCD and not a LED so im not ure if just upgrading to an LED will do the trick but yeah i want a smoother picture, whether it gives the impression it does or not.

120Hz input monitors will look better but for gaming it is the lag (often called "input lag") that matters most. Don't pay attention to refresh rates or response time. TFT Central is a good relevant site.

Reference to LED usually is for the backlighting - not really relevant in this case although LED backlighting is newer and as such the overall display will often have more capabilities/features.

Online lag is somewhat a constant regardless of monitor although of course the combined lag can be an added annoyance for online games.