Sign in to follow this  
Nixxon

Need to turn PC into a wireless access point

Hey Guys,

Bit green on this. Currently at work, our router doesn't have wifi function (probably does but don't want to mess with it).

Is there a device I could purchase that I can plug into my workstation PC that will broadcast the ethernet connection feeding into that computer as a wifi access point (for mobiles, tablets etc.)?

I generally shop at umart.

Also, If this can't be done. Am I able to plug something directly into the switch which will do the same thing?

Obviously would need to password protect the connection.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Nixxon

You can buy dedicated Access Point boxes, actually pretty cheap these days.

Should be pluggable either into PC or (preferably) the port of an existing ADSL router.

You have configuration options like admin password and encryption protocol (or not) for the WiFi along with keys/passwords.

802.11n is the current flavour of the day, seems the prices are fairly good there too.

http://ijk.com.au/branch/ijk/index.php?cPath=161_594

Given you shop at uMart, I imagine they'd have a decent range at competitive rates.

You can buy dedicated Access Point boxes, actually pretty cheap these days.

Should be pluggable either into PC or (preferably) the port of an existing ADSL router.

You have configuration options like admin password and encryption protocol (or not) for the WiFi along with keys/passwords.

802.11n is the current flavour of the day, seems the prices are fairly good there too.

http://ijk.com.au/branch/ijk/index.php?cPath=161_594

Given you shop at uMart, I imagine they'd have a decent range at competitive rates.

Fantastic, would I need to change any settings on the router?

How would one set up the security key etc. with the device alone?

They'll often be plug & go but you'd want to change settings regardless.

e.g. one of my routers defaults to no security, open system. And I have a 3G dongle which has a default password which is a random jumble and near impossible to remember.

Changing settings should be a similar deal to a normal ADSL modem, ie logon to 10.1.1.1 or whatever, enter the admin password then access the control panels via a browser.

Generally you'd just need to change admin password, the base address of assigned IPs so they don't coincide with anything else on the network, set the security type/key and away you go.

Of course you need either WiFi or cabled connection to talk to it usually - a mobile phone or tablet would be sufficient there.

They'll often be plug & go but you'd want to change settings regardless.

e.g. one of my routers defaults to no security, open system. And I have a 3G dongle which has a default password which is a random jumble and near impossible to remember.

Changing settings should be a similar deal to a normal ADSL modem, ie logon to 10.1.1.1 or whatever, enter the admin password then access the control panels via a browser.

Generally you'd just need to change admin password, the base address of assigned IPs so they don't coincide with anything else on the network, set the security type/key and away you go.

Of course you need either WiFi or cabled connection to talk to it usually - a mobile phone or tablet would be sufficient there.

Cool, I was hoping not to have to interfere with the router setup... in case i brought it down or something lol. Currently the router shows as wifi... though cycles 'obtaining IP' indefinitely.

Might have to bite the bullet and have a look at the settings.

The wifi extender would be great though as the cabinet is downstairs. We have the switch wired to Ethernet ports on the wall upstairs. I could plug the wifi extender into one of the ports upstairs for better coverage?

So you already have WiFi capability in your ADSL router? Why not use that?

Often an ADSL modem with both cable/wifi will default to WiFi turned off. You should be able to dick around with the Wifi settings without upsetting anything else.

There's all manner of ways you can configure the network. Seems that these days the gear is getting reallly cheap. You could probably just run 2 Wifi networks if you really wanted, if possible configure the channels such that the overlap is minimal.

If your existing modem/router has wifi, it'll save money turning that on. Typically the address to access it will be printed on the unit itself; other times you'll have to google the model number and find its manual online. Usual addresses are 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, some routers use http://routerlogin.net and some use brand-specific ones like http://fritz.box

Once in there you should set it to WPA2 and generate a strong password. Also aim for a frequency that has minimal interference as Rybags suggests, there are Wifi analysing apps for smartphones that can tell you what channels are being used. Typically you would pick channel 1, 5/6, or 11 to avoid interference. If you add another access point somewhere else you should change its channel to one of those three to minimise interference.