Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

UHD Monitors

Received a promo email this morning about a 28inch UHD Samsung Monitor claiming to be designed for gaming and Video viewing. Anyone actually seen one of these units working ,i think their price is around $700 range.

It would depend on the resolution. If it has 4x the pixels, then sure, you can just have 'bigger' blocks until content comes in.

Otherwise, 1600x1200 is going to look like blurry ass on, say, a 2000x3000 display or something.

It would depend on the resolution. If it has 4x the pixels, then sure, you can just have 'bigger' blocks until content comes in.

Otherwise, 1600x1200 is going to look like blurry ass on, say, a 2000x3000 display or something.

Looks nice. Only drawback is it only has 2 HDMI ports ,no DVI or anything else.

Run at an integer divisor of the actual resolution to minimise annoying scaling artifacts.

I imagine there's probably some sort of upscaling available - it would be desirable of course to have control over it, e.g. ability to set the level of interpolation performed.

HDMI 2.0 is capable of video resolution up to 4096×2160 progressive @ 60 FPS.

Is that the one with the shit panel to cut the price?

Yeah no thanks.

Is that the one with the shit panel to cut the price?

Yeah no thanks.

no idea , its a new model just released.

Downloaded the manual it has plenty of cables with it too. First i have ever seen a DP Cable ,have no idea what it is for.

It seems Audio is passed through this monitor and you can plug speakers or a headphone in it.

Monitor looks very light and skinny too.

It's too early to invest in 4K monitors IMO, reasonably priced GPUs aren't able to run at that resolution for modern titles and the OS struggles to scale window elements properly.

When Windows 9 (or whatever the successor to 8.1 is called) hopefully addresses super high DPI monitor scaling, and we have IPS 4K monitors for a decent price, then it will be time to buy. I'd like to see a 120hz IPS 1440P/1600P before that comes, personally.

I'd like to see a 120hz IPS 1440P/1600P before that comes, personally.

I was looking at 4k screens to replace my ageing 27inch acer.

realized my setup wouldn't run 4k in games well enough so I settled for this : http://us.aoc.com/monitor_displays/q2963pm

am yet to have a game not work properly which is what I was worried about.

I know its not 4k but I did see a small fps drop which backs up my theory that my gpu's would struggle.

Edited by AMD AKIMBO

Most cards would probably struggle rendering 4K.

Double the res in each direction - that's 4 times as many pixels that have to be moved around.

I think the affordable 4K/UHD screens have a good position for the spreadsheets and data analysis markets, but not sure they are ready for gaming or video work yet.

The bandwidth tends to mean that most users will be required to compromise frame rate (many of them only do 24 or 30 Hz refresh rate at full res unless you have a very new video card.

Photo editing would be fine with the low refresh rate, but the affordable panel technologies are not great for colour rendition, so by the time a person is buying a $2500 IPS 4K screen for a photo workstation, they are probably not worried about spending a few extra $s on a new video card and cable to drive the latest interfaces (just like the early days of 30" screens and dual link DVI). And as the photo market at that level is rarely stills only, they would probably chase the video performance and require 60Hz anyway.

But for static displays and low framerate data presentation, the affordable 4K screens are a great option. But OS/application support for high resolutions can be a problem. I recently got a 13.3" laptop with 2560x1440 resolution. Not ideal for people with poor eyesight if you want to read dialog boxes for most applications.

Edited by stadl