Sign in to follow this  
wallyc

In need of Crossfire advice

Hi all,

I'm thinking of adding some guts to my system by adding a new R-280x to crossfire with my current 7970 SOC

I've never had a crossfire setup before and almost everywhere i look has differing information regarding using 7970 with the r280x,

so i'd like to know ideally is how to setup memory & clock speeds, do both cards have to be manually adjusted to the same speed for the best perfomance? or can you just wing it~

because my 7970 runs at alot higher speeds than a normal one i'm leaning towards either the gigabyte or asus r280x's but its quite hard to find a clear winner, or even which would suit my existing card best !

Thanks in Advance !

ps the reason i want to add another card, i run eyefinity with 4 screens, and gaming is starting to get a little sluggish with higher graphics quality so hoping another card will smooth it out !

AMD Radeon R9 280X CrossFire compatible with AMD Radeon R9 280X and AMD Radeon HD 7970.

Clocks can be ran sync or async with MSI Afterburner or CCC. Will need crossfire bridge.

I think the SOC clocks are 1080mhz/5500mhz. The ASUS R9280X-DC2T-3GD5 is clocked at 1070mhz/6400mhz. So, I think the memory clocks are higher on the 280x compared. GIGABYTE GV-R928XOC-3GD REV2 is clocked at 1100mhz/6000mhz. I personally like running sync. I do remember reading somewhere when I was looking into coin mining that one or the other needed to be on top for whatever reason... maybe not though might have just been a one off case.

Most of the time, the drivers would automatically default the clocks to the 'slowest' speed out of the two. Bear in mind that you can manual 'overclock' through Afterburner if needed.

It really doesn't matter which manufacturer but I'd recommend the Asus as some of the Gigabyte cards uses the cheaper RAM which maxs out faster compared to the Asus ones.

Thanks for the replys !

I've ordered the ASUS Radeon R9 280X DirectCUII TOP 3GB and i'll be picking it up on wednesday.

wondering if you guys could recommend any guides for installation?

also would it make any difference which card is in which slot? ie faster card in first slot or does it not matter if i'll be overclocking them so the core/mem clocks match

also what would be the most suitable driver revision for crossfire at this time? in the past switching from versions has had quite drastic results, not always for the better

Cheers.

Id probably put the one with the best heatsink on top since it will be running hotter when in crossfire. Yea by default they should clock to the slowest card. I didnt watch this whole thing but probably shows the most steps: