Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

Project Darkling

So it begins

Silverstone TJ08-EW arrived today and is now stripped

Looks like i will have to cut some holes in the bottom so the top ports on the phobya 200mm rad can drop through since they poke it up just high enough to be obstructed by the front usb ports which will provide a handy bonus making the loop easy to drain

Most dont have to do this as they just mount the rad onto the fan where as i will be bolting the rad to the case then the fan on the inside

Looks like im all out of cutting disks though so i am going to have to try find some so i dont have to resort to the angle grinder for such small holes it would make a bit of a mess even if it is just the under side of the case

Posted Image

Just a bit smaller than the 10 year old CM Stacker (STC-T01)

Sorry for the phone snap i will make sure photos from here on are better quality

Ok pinched my sisters d300

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is where i will be drilling some holes for the rad bungs to poke through

Posted Image

shes so sexy i keep coming back here just to look at my naked little darkling

Edited by Dasa

lol real classy shots bro, I can just picture a bunch of rich snobs sitting outside their country mansion sipping champaign and talking about CPU cooling... if that's the sort of thing they're into.

Spent a fair bit of time hacking the shit out of the bottom of the case with the tools available im afraid its a bit of a mess but at least i wont be looking under the case

Pinched in the rolled edge sides of the case with some pliers so the rad has room to slide all the way forward

Just have to cut off most the front clip from the side panels with the angle grinder so they can go back on Edit: scratch that i should be able to just fold it over flat

Then make a few more holes for hose to exit the rear of the case

Hopefully the front of the side panels wont bow out to much when its done

edit pics!

rad poking through

Posted Image

crimped side to squeeze in rad

Posted Image

Edited by Dasa

looks to be coming together nicely. Cant believe the size diff from the old to the new case lol

Nice! Is a wicked little case to start with, and is epic to see what can be done with it :-)

I think I'll keep my NAS (same case) stock though haha

well the side panels fit again

unfortunately the window panel took a little damage and has some small dings where i adjusted it with the hammer

the rear panel has a bit of a crease but i actually dont mind how that looks

it could be improved with more hammer but probably at the cost of the paint which i cant be bothered redoing at the moment

the qdc and fill port also arrived

next is to make a hole in the top for the fill port and some holes in the rear to head through to the qdc which are 1/2" compression so i will be using three tube sizes in this build with 7/16" behind the mb tray and 3/8" internal

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Dasa

didnt have any time or energy to work on it today im afraid

hopefully the bits to make the 180 bend between the cpu\gpu will arrive from thekoolroom tomorrow and i should have everything i need to finish it

there marked as delivered to bendigo by the courier which means they should make the last 100k of the journey with auspost which can take 1-2 days so it may not be here till monday

im not sure how best to go about making holes in the rear mesh for pipes to go through maybe i can get tin snips in there and then grind it out now that i have some new larger grinders for the drill

Edited by Dasa

Damn dasa...

If only I was a suburb away from you Id snatch that old case of yours if you're retiring it. That inverted motherboard orientation is like a rarity these days...

Best of luck with your build!

well the snake arrived and it might be touch and go weather or not the side panel fits on with it totaling 78mm

the snake has ~12-16mm of inner room and the enzotech m to m fitting is also ~12mm giving me 56-60mm of room to get around the card which is way more than i needed so i may need to order a shorter extender guess ill find out soon enough

wish they provided better measurements for these parts

finished making holes today these ones took a while but actually ended up nice and neat

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Dasa

assembly is in progress

now if only i could find that barb... after cleaning it i stopped to shift some clothes that were drying and ill be stuffed if i can work out where i sat the dam thing

mm snug fit 190mm psu (+wires) in a case that recommends 160mm and supposedly can handle a max of185mm without odd

the odd is also rather long at ~180mm i think its a pioneer bdr-203

safe to say the 8 pin eps lead out of the psu is doing a tight bend and there is a bit of pressure on the screws holding in the odd

sorry more quick phone snaps

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Dasa

Nice work fitting it all in there dasa, it looks awesome !

Love the dusk pics , very nice scenery/background :)

yeah i set it up then let my sister take the picks since i didnt know how to work the flash settings on her camera with the sunset quickly disappearing

will have to photoshop them to remove the gate\post when im done

shame i killed the second 7970 although the blue pcb was kinda ugly it still would have looked good all that power crammed in there

some quick shots from the first power up

Posted Image

Posted Image

edit

bugger gpu block mount must be bad its hitting 65c when it should be under 40c

Edited by Dasa

How do you go about planning a watercooling rig?

are all the barbs 'push on and tighten down' style? So its just a matter of getting the right hose size and barbs of all the same size?

I want to watercool my next rig, but I need it airtight so I can transport it often.

To get started, I went with a Ek H30 240 HFX kit. It has most everything you need to get started but still needed to add gpu block. Some go with a universal gpu block or you can get a full cover one. Kit came with compression fitting too... Add in the coolant and a few 90 degree or rotary fittings, your looking at around $400. I probably could have pieced it together with a slightly better options but really this kit is cooling everything quite well.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/image/15...d&mv_pc=223

for my first build many years ago i did a lot of research into water cooling then just dove in with a pond pump a heatercore out of a camry and a few secondhand blocks made in au

this time i just looked at what others had done in this case and tried to think of things i could do different or maybe be better suited to what i wanted

i also made a thread on ocau about the fitting on the gpu for that tight bend since i had never used anything but hose\barbs on my previous builds but didnt get a lot of help thankfully it worked out ok

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1129354

im using a mix of barbs and compression fittings

the secondhand pump\rad came with a bunch of 3\8" compressions and hose so i used them inside

with them you just screw one end into the component with a o-ring and push on the hose and screw them down but you must have exactly the right tube size id\od and a clean even cut even then there may be a chance of one blowing off if something goes wrong with the loop which makes the temperature rise to a high level softening the tube especially if the tube is thick walled

the rest of the fittings are barbs\clamps and if you use 7/16" hose over 1/2" barbs its so tight i have gotten away without using clamps at all so with a good clamp on it thats not going to be where you will see any leaks

some shots with a 30s exposure

Posted Image

Posted Image

I like how it comes out the back of the case but the connection from the cpu to the gpu looks wicked cool.. which way is it feeding, gpu to cpu or cpu to gpu?

yeah that snake worked out rather well

rad>cpu\pump>gpu>external rad or just back to front rad

power use has been as low as 55w idle but with modem plugged in one of the hdd spinning and monitor on its typically about 70w

with the system at stock clocks but undervolted to 3.8ghz 1.15v\1000mhz 1018mv load power use is

it uses ~140-160w in l4d2

~220w firestrike gpu 1\2

~125w firestrike cpu

~250w firestrike combined (with it at 4.3ghz 1.28v\1125mhz 1112mv load power use is ~300w)

hdd are the loudest components at idle when the pump is 1200-2200rpm and the fan is ~500rpm

the pump and the fan make there fair share of noise as they rev up to 4400rpm and 1200rpm they soon drown out the hdd

Edited by Dasa

Nice build Dasa!

Micro ATX ftw :)

Half way through my rebuild. Will have to make a post and show some pics soon.