Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

Project Darkling

aww the poor little darling has been gutted in diagnosis of what seems to be a dying psu

it took me a while to workout as at first it was failing to resume from standby then it was failing to power on most attempts unless disconnected from the power but stable once running and this all started after i updated the bios

now if i could just workout why the igp(my hdmi sound output) seems to keep disabling itself so that it doesnt even show up in bios

pic any second now... dam being caped

as you can see this little old silverstone 500w 80+ psu is using 7w less at idle than the seasonic xp

48w idle not bad for such a old beast

Posted Image

Edited by Dasa

That sucks Dasa.

I had almost similar problems with my PSU recently. Started failing to boot, but if I kept at it, when it did boot was 100% fine even under heavy gaming load. Just for some reason the start up (in rush?) it'd fail at.

7 year PSU warranty FTW, got my full money back from 4 year old purchase lol (Corsair)

ahwell shit happens

i think i have had to rma every psu in my main rig over the last 10 years

pcp&c510 came without 8pin eps guess they packaged the wrong model in the box (was still running in my sisters photoshop pc till i put the more efficient tx750 v2 in it a few months back)

tx750 doa then the replacement died after ~3-4 years cost $80 post to send it back to corsair in china and they sent me a new tx750 v2

and now the xp1000 which is ~2-3 years old

corsair ax 860 & seasonic x are much the same psu although corsair has a few small things changed

apparently its a bit to common a problem with them i think i spotted it suggested some time ago that it may be due to a component getting too hot before the fan kicks in

tell you what i wouldnt mind money back to buy a xp860 v2 there low level power use has improved a fair bit and it wouldnt be such a tight fit in my case although that monster does look kinda cool crammed in there not a single mm to spare

edit

lol pccg has the ft02 on sale for $149 im almost tempted to go big again for the lower noise case

always loved that case

Edited by Dasa

Hope your PSU issues get sorted out soon bud :-/

might be running it like that for a few weeks first priority is the front wheel bearings\swivel hub seals on my gq patrol ute

psu fan on this 500w silverstone and even the tx750 v2 are annoyingly loud though after having a psu thats fanless and the loudest parts in my system being the hdd

Np! Ive heard a few from xfx and powercolor were flashed to 290x successfully, might not be worth a look.

card arrived yesterday and seems to work just fine

here is some temps after a few loops of heaven 4.0

180mm case fan on tj08-e is only doing ~850rpm and for some reason wont go higher at the moment stupid asus fan control software...

the rear fan on the xfx 290 seems to have a bit of a baring whine to it that the front one doesnt have otherwise its not all that loud at 59-61% which is where the fan topped out with the gpu at 67c vrm 75c

ambient is ~13c though

power use at the wall is peaking at 300w with the 2600k at stock but then heaven doesnt really produce much cpu load so other games will have a bit higher power use than this

i was going to upload a screenshot of temps ect but for the last 15min i havent even been able to login to photobucket... dam i hate being caped to 64k

had a go at overclocking

1125mhz stock v & +20 power level to prevent down clocking

1235\1570mhz +200mv 100% fan it started seeing artifacts in heaven once the card warmed up to 83c core 93c vrm only 2min in

1250\1600 has been crashing on me before it even gets a chance to get hot so im thinking thats not far from its limits but it will be interesting to see how it fairs on water

at that the system peaked at 464w

until then i will probably just run it at stock -50mv since im only playing xcom and rct at the moment...

with -50mv stock clocks and 2600k@4.3 the system maxed out at 284.3w in heaven and 297.6w in metro ll

had a bit of a scare after all that i left it running only to come back to a blank screen... after rebooting to the igp the 290 couldnt be detected

turned the pc of at the power for a bit and now its working fine again...

also my psu is working fine again to... lol

edit turns out the cpu may not have been clocking up from 1.6ghz during those tests...

Edited by Dasa

So I had that black screen issue too before when I was on 14.4 and random crashing. 14.6 beta seem much better and hasnt happen since. When running Fur (MSI Kombustor), the vrm get up to 75c after 15mins but the core temps are 58c @ 1150mhz. Real world temps on vrms havent gone over 10c from core and ususally Im under 51c on the core. I think I could get higher overclock than 1222 core but the volts, even when using constant seem to stay around the 1.180 range, if not using constant it goes higher only for a sec. Ill run some test on wattage too to compare for fun. Sounds like you got a good overclocker! Water will probably get you even more :)

with +200mv i think it was running ~1.3-1.35v and spiked to 1.4v when it started

i had a skim through this guide before i started overclocking it

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/...g-guide.199077/

havent tried constant voltage yet

if your card really does 1222 at 1.18v then it looks like your the one with the great clocker assuming you can find a way to get the v to go higher

ordered that gelid heasink :)

edit: well thats quick and friendly

Dear Dale,

Hi! I am happy to assist you. Your cooling kit has been shipped on 27/6/2014 via airmail as we promised. The delivery time will be around 2 – 3 weeks (Please expect extra delay in case of customs check). Don't worry for that.I know you're expecting the parcel. I hope you can receive it soon! Again, thank you so much for your business!

If you've any question please don't hesitate to reply us. We're happy to assist you.

Thanks and Regards,

Candy P.

FeppaSpot CS Team

Edited by Dasa

Looks like a good guide but when I try to use GPU Tweak I can get the volts higher but they are not consistent at all and the core drops every time with the volts (gpu tweak says up to 1.410v and have it maxed). Every 3-5 secs, the volts go up to around 1.250-1.312v(1.312v is the max I can seem to get it) but then drop to 1.08v with Fur running. I have the core at 1150 for some testing and when the volts drop the core drops up to 60mhz, this is with the temp under 51c on a quick test. With MSI AB, I can get the consistent core / volts but the not near as high volts. I tried that link that had the "all in GPU Tweak" but it says load library failed each time then a memory config comes up and I cant type within that. Probably need to flash to that PT1.. have you had a go at the all in GPU Tweak? But, I did read you need to disable both skins too for extra setting, probably with that bios too is needed.

im using sapphire trixx which is what that guide recommends for 24\7 overclocking

it allows twice the v that msi afterburner does but not as high as gpu tweak

it seems to be more stable than both its just annoying that you have to scroll it up and down to get to all the controls

Yea it seems like I can get higher volts with Trixx (in gpu-z showed 1.414 spike). I was able to run benchmarks at 1250 on the core so it did help a bit but started to artifact with anything much higher. I might try to flash eventually but will probably go back to AB mainly for the monitoring/layout since Ive been running it at only 1100 on the core lately. But I did get a higher score in FireStrike than before and I didnt mess with the memory and the cpu was 400mhz less at my norm 4.7ghz so it did help for sure.

So, to sum up from what Im seeing, Tweak and Trixx do give extra core/volts. Trixx worked better than Tweak and gave higher peak at 1.414v while Tweak gave 1.314v. AB gave only 1.180v but would give persistent core/volts when constant was on, but would get up to 1.25ish with constant off but the volts would bounce around a ton. Only AB and Trixx seem to give flat line voltage/core when under load... With Fur, AB would flat line at 1.180v and Trixx flat lined at 1.258v. Trixx works much better for higher volts which should be double or close to it... I see a flash in the future :)

Forgot to add, the vrm did get up to 84c on a 10min run with 1150 core but the core temp was at 58c. So the extra juice did warm it up another 6-7c at the same clock.

Edited by gamble

thanks for the info

vrm hs arrived today there is a hectic week ahead but il see what happens

psu is still being a bit hit and miss which would make it hard for them to test if i send it of for rma and i think im due for a windows reinstall since it is randomly hard locking

Some interesting results from Titan and 290x. Ran at the same cpu settings and used constant voltage for the 290x, Im almost positive I used constant for the Titan too. Even with constant on its hard to pin point the exact amount of juice so I put +150 or +200 which Trixx uses.

Clock: 4.7ghz

vcore: 1.296v

Titan

1215mhz

3500mhz(7000)

1.250v

3dmark13

Scene Combined: 456w

3dmark11

Scene 1: 491w

Valley v1.0

Scene 5: 431w

BF4 MP: 5mins

Golmud Railway

Low: 400w

High: 447w

-------

290x

1215mhz

5400mhz

1.250v (+150)

3dmark13

Combined: 503w

3dmark11

Scene 1: 508w

Valley v1.0

Scene 7: 496w

Golmud Railway

465w

496w

---------

290x

1215mhz

5400mhz

1.3v (+200)

3dmark13

Combined: 539w

3dmark11

Scene 1: 529w

Valley v1.0

Scene 7: 535w

Golmud Railway

503w

537w

------

Some Temp results after a few rounds of BF4 @ 4.7ghz and the gpu @ 1.3v (+200):

1200core/5400m

Fans: 5 @ 1/2 speed, one @ 800rpm

Core: 61c

Vrm1: 72c

Vrm2: 52c

Edited by gamble

ok just stuck the 290 on water

Posted Image

ambient ~19c

Posted Image

edit

came back to a black screen again and had forgotten about the last time lol

Edited by Dasa

ditched the asus software in favor of speedfan

now have the pump\rad fan running of the cpu temp and the two gt 1850 sitting on the 290 controlled by the gpu vrm temp

Posted Image

ah american honey though i do not love your sickly sweat taste i do love your pain releaf properties :)

edit

bugger temp 1 and temp 2 and not the gpu vrm although they matched them exactly at idle before... they dont go up when it under load guess i will have to just set it to the gpu temp which doesnt change all that much :\

edit 2

well that sucks

after a while gpu temp starts reading -999c in speedfan so i guess i still have to control there speed based of cpu temp :(

Edited by Dasa

so its speed fan is freaking out on you and cant control the fans from the gpu vrm temp? Thats a great idea if you can get it to work

Edited by gamble

This is really impressive, Dasa. Very tidy. Very pretty. I'd love to do a water build one day. I have absolutely no need for a second rig, though. Need a girlfriend who's into gaming, then I could build one for her.

well a year has gone by since my psu started acting up finally nabbed the corsair tx 750 v2 from my sisters pc so i could keep running while i sent it of for rma

unfortunately the first two psu i tried in her system were dead and killed one of the hdd thankfully just a old 320g seagate not the 3tb or ssd

they were decent psu once and i thought they were still working but anyway parents were away on holidays so i flogged a psu from there pc to get her photoshop pc (my old q9450) going again

as a replacement for my xp 1000 seasonic sent me a xp 1050 which is fairly new out so there can be bonuses to acting slow

so after a year of my pc being a bit of a mess with no side panels its finally back together

flogged some of the padding from the psu to make the hdd a bit quieter

20150911_122300_zpsdowi7dbe.jpg
20150911_124756_zpsus1cvsq0.jpg

20150911_123912_zpskzuiqblh.jpg

20150911_150013_zpsgxrht51y.jpg

20150911_150504_zpsozcmcs3e.jpg

20150911_150624_zpszs46x9xw.jpg

found that the small heatsink on the 290 vrm had come unstuck so i have just left it out it seems to be doing ok with the fan blowing directly over it

could do with a bit smaller fan to fit in there

20150911_151346_zpsrwjisbch.jpg