Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

Project Darkling

I like that case, I built an office PC in it when it first came out. This one has a bit more power though lol!

Shame about the PSU but hopefully they sort it for you. I've never had to RMA a PSU, mine seemingly never die.

Felt it was time for a little update after i finally stuck some heatsinks to my 1070 heat plate

darkling%2020182.jpg

Also installed a second 180mm fan on the rad FM181.

Being white looks a little funny.

It's such a tight fit the old AP181 had to be offset to avoid the other side of the case but there isn't enough room between the AP181 and the GPU to use the other mount plate anyway.

darkling20181.jpg

I'm not sure what to make of the noise differences yet and just how much of it is due to the different mount positions in the case

Edited by Dasa

Nice! I'm sure fan will help cool things down. I like the heatsink mod too. If gets noisy maybe try placing on the other side of the desk or floor.

Its not noisy per say until I take the fans over 1000RPM which isn't needed for 24\7 use but the old fan which uses a sleeve bearing has a bit of a click to it.

While the new fan that uses ball bearings seems to make a bit more air noise when from reviews I thought it should make less.

This leads me to think that maybe some tabs on the front of the case that go past the tips of the blades for mounting a smaller fan could be creating some noise, so I may have to cut them off to find out.

Configured the system to run fanless when idle, virtually silent at low loads, very quit under typical gaming loads.

Then it can ramp up to full speed if it gets hot for some reason like if I don't bother to turn on the ac when its 45c outside\inside.

Provided I don't use batteleye anticheat software as it disables speedfan. Safe to say my GPU got hot and unfortunately its memory is now only stable at +600MHz instead of 700MHz+ OC.

This was before i attached the new heatsinks to it.

Also have a external temp probe stuck into the fins I glued onto the 1070 and so far the hottest those heatsinks have hit is 42c when there isn't much airflow thanks to this quiet fan profile

darkling%20fan%20conttrol.jpg

Stuck the GTX480 in temporarily to test it as a dedicated physics card. It worked but it didn't help performance.

20180724_110421%5B1%5D.jpg?attredirects=

Edited by Dasa

What kind of probe you using?  

Did it help for benchmarks running as a dedicated physics cards?  I think in the nvidia settings you have to point to it if you want it to be dedicated, you probably already did that just surprised it did not give any improvement. 

Edited by gamble

Didn't actually try any benchmarks just borderlands 2 which is CPU bound by its single threaded physics since it doesn't load it all on the GPU.

GTX480 GPU usage was about 14% while it was being used as a dedicated physics card.

Edited by Dasa

So a little update.

Radeon VII went in a while back.

Now I have swapped my 6700K for a mates 7700K and after deliding it is running 5GHz AVX 4.9GHz 1.32V llC5 with Vdrop to ~1.3v and topping out at ~60c

Only run some short 15min stability tests so far so I may need to tweak that a little yet.

Tried 5.1GHz 1.375v but it blue screened within seconds of starting the stability test.

I was hoping that the memory controller would be better and I could just set 4000MHz but like with my 6700k it is still twitchy over 3733 and often wont post at 3866 even though it is stable if it does post so maybe a BIOS setting will help me get a little more out of it I just need to work out which.

Modified mount holding on the old Storm G5 which was a pure silver CPU waterblock made 15 years ago in AU.

The old stained Tygon tubing was the only thing I had that didn't kink badly with that bend.

DSCN1829.jpg

Just for kicks here is a little history with some of my older builds in there prime.

stacker.jpg?attredirects=0antec%201080.jpg

P1020278.jpgP10308851.jpgpc-1.jpg

P1080547.jpgwater8.jpg

8800gtvmod.jpgP1150629.jpg

20150226_1840521_zpsztlm1jfd.jpg20150226_1839331_zpskx2ffo5l.jpg

What TIM did you use under the ihs?  Did you do the float or seal it back on?   PS. loved the throw back pics

Posted (edited)

Liquid metal under IHS and Cryonaught ontop and it is afloat so same as my 3770K except this Time I don't think I killed the IGP .

There was a few copper points under the IHS I should have covered with nail polish so hopefully the liquid metal stays put.

Failed stress test lastnight so dropped back to 48 AVX with -2 offset and added .005v although it is still reading 1.296v load.

Edited by Dasa

Posted (edited)

Think I have the CPU fairly well dialed in at 5000MHz core\cache and -1 offset for 4.9 AVX with 1.34v

No luck yet with getting the RAM over 3733 but I have managed to tighten the timings which passed GSAT but is failing HCI very quick and extra v isnt helping so I need to work out what I need to dial back a bit.

1333369057_3733tweaked(3).thumb.jpg.dd49b0060c6936dd31d574f13819a47d.jpg

Unfortunately the primarys had to go back to c16

Edited by Dasa
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Nice OC! Do you think the dimms are getting too hot?  Maybe a small fan over them might help with timings or bandwidth?  My chips get up over 50c without the fans and then get errors/shutdown. Latency is pretty amazing wow. If you raise the trfc or disable gear down maybe that can help too? 

Posted (edited)

Yeah higher tRFC would increase bandwidth a bit and it use to run that at ~30k no problem but at this sage I am having trouble getting 3733 stable at any timings in HCI.

There is no gear down with Intel.

Maybe a fan would help a bit but they are staying under 40c at this stage and I believe the problem to be the CPU memory controller is simply not a winner of the silicon lottery.

Swapped RAM kits tried running a single stick and different slots but it is still hit and miss even posting at 3866 when it use to benhcmark just fine at 4000.

Thought I was getting somewhere then stable at 3733 HCI all tightened up but aida64 score was really low so I guess one of the profiles I had tried earlier left something in the background changed and it still failed to post once.

3600c14 1T is looking like it may be the go with this 7700K.

Also tried overclocking my 6700K and RAM in mates MSI z170 MB but man what a piece of shit it wont even run the RAM over 3200 and at 3200 the IGP seemed unstable with black screen flickering and artifacts on the windows load screen but oddly stability tests worked fine and found no errors although prime95 refuses to launch for some reason.

As for overclocking the 6700K in the MSI MB all seemed well at 4.5GHz until I noticed it dropping to 3800MHz when stress tested although a lower OC would only drop to 4000Mhz which is what the CPU would normally run with 8 threads in use at stock clocks.

CPU temps ~50-60c power use could be 65-95w CPU and it didn't seem to matter what settings I changed in BIOS not that there was many to chose from. It seems older BIOS had more options available than the current one from what I found on the net.

Edit:99 or not

One moment it is running 3600c14 1T 200% HCI the next I am all the way back to 3600c16 T2 just to get more than 20% through HCI... cant work it out.

Edited by Dasa

It's crazy how much variation between boards you can get.  Maybe try a different bios

Posted (edited)

At least that passed lastnight

CPU is at 5GHz core 4.9GHz AVX 5.2GHz Cache 1.35v and RAM is only running 1.43v with memory controller only at 1.15v so there is room to move.

tRFC can go tighter just left it at a safe setting while I tinker with other timings, currently testing 1T again.

1000%20stable%203600c15.jpg

Considered changing to a older BIOS but wasn't able to roll back last time I tried with my MB and cant be buggered with the MSI it's not my system.

Edited by Dasa

Are you going to keep that cpu?  How does it do against your 6700 in benchmarks scores in physics/cpu tests? 

Posted (edited)

Yes I plan to keep it but haven't benched it yet

Edit:

Timespy the CPU is 6% faster than my previous best with the 6700K which was apparently only at the 24\7 setting of 4.6GHz.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/8303706/spy/5308339#

In firestrike it is 9% faster than my stable speed and 3% faster than the max unstable OC on the 6700K that would have been 4.8GHz ~4000c17

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/10213795/fs/20275549#

Passed Hci overnight at 3600 14-15-15-32 T1 tRFC 260.

Cache is now at 5.3GHz...  not that it makes much difference.

Vdimm 1.47 set 1.45v reported

Tried 14-14 1.51v but only went from failing HCl at 10% to 30%

Shame as I could have gotten under 36ns at that.

Edited by Dasa