Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

Project Darkling

I like that case, I built an office PC in it when it first came out. This one has a bit more power though lol!

Shame about the PSU but hopefully they sort it for you. I've never had to RMA a PSU, mine seemingly never die.

Posted (edited)

Felt it was time for a little update after i finally stuck some heatsinks to my 1070 heat plate

darkling%2020182.jpg

Also installed a second 180mm fan on the rad FM181.

Being white looks a little funny.

It's such a tight fit the old AP181 had to be offset to avoid the other side of the case but there isn't enough room between the AP181 and the GPU to use the other mount plate anyway.

darkling20181.jpg

I'm not sure what to make of the noise differences yet and just how much of it is due to the different mount positions in the case

Edited by Dasa

Nice! I'm sure fan will help cool things down. I like the heatsink mod too. If gets noisy maybe try placing on the other side of the desk or floor.

Its not noisy per say until I take the fans over 1000RPM which isn't needed for 24\7 use but the old fan which uses a sleeve bearing has a bit of a click to it.

While the new fan that uses ball bearings seems to make a bit more air noise when from reviews I thought it should make less.

This leads me to think that maybe some tabs on the front of the case that go past the tips of the blades for mounting a smaller fan could be creating some noise, so I may have to cut them off to find out.

Posted (edited)

Configured the system to run fanless when idle, virtually silent at low loads, very quit under typical gaming loads.

Then it can ramp up to full speed if it gets hot for some reason like if I don't bother to turn on the ac when its 45c outside\inside.

Provided I don't use batteleye anticheat software as it disables speedfan. Safe to say my GPU got hot and unfortunately its memory is now only stable at +600MHz instead of 700MHz+ OC.

This was before i attached the new heatsinks to it.

Also have a external temp probe stuck into the fins I glued onto the 1070 and so far the hottest those heatsinks have hit is 42c when there isn't much airflow thanks to this quiet fan profile

darkling%20fan%20conttrol.jpg

Stuck the GTX480 in temporarily to test it as a dedicated physics card. It worked but it didn't help performance.

20180724_110421%5B1%5D.jpg?attredirects=

Edited by Dasa

What kind of probe you using?  

Did it help for benchmarks running as a dedicated physics cards?  I think in the nvidia settings you have to point to it if you want it to be dedicated, you probably already did that just surprised it did not give any improvement. 

Edited by gamble

Didn't actually try any benchmarks just borderlands 2 which is CPU bound by its single threaded physics since it doesn't load it all on the GPU.

GTX480 GPU usage was about 14% while it was being used as a dedicated physics card.

Edited by Dasa