Sign in to follow this  
skarden

GPU options, need some advice from the good folks here

G'day guys and girls, the deal is I got a bit of cash coming in soon and I'm wondering what the best bang for buck is GPU wise cause I might use some of it to upgrade my current beasty rig. At the moment I'm running duel 680's in an i7 3930k Oc'd to 4.6 and 32gb of corsair 1866 Ram and to be honest it runs pretty damn well, but since I have some cash coming in I thought I'd maybe upgrade to future proof my rig a bit, this is the first upgrade I'l be doing to this rig so I wanna do it right if I do it at all, I don't think I'll really have a bottle neck anywhere else in the system so I figure I should really try to do it right.

Basically the options I'm looking at are either just jumping straight onto the overboard train and get 2 x 780's, these look particularly good, pricey but good

Gainward 780 goodness

the other options are either maybe 2 x 770's not sure which ones yet but I wonder if the jump in performance will be enough to justify the cost or....

I could get a single 780ti, possibly something like this

EVGA 780 classified

and just get back into the simplicity of not having to worry about making sure my SLI is running correctly and the rest of the hassles that sometimes come from running a duel card set up, I know it definitely won't perform like 2 x 780's but really it should till run like a demon it pretty much all situations, right?........ or will it again not be a huge jump from duel 680's.

I've tried to read up about it all as much as possible but there are a lot of different opinions so I thought I'd ask you guys for your opinion. The money isn't coming in for about a month so I've got a bit of time to figure what I'm gonna do but a little guidance would be super appreciated.

Cheers

Ross

p.s. as i side note does anyone know how to upload an avatar pic, everytime I try to do it it fails and tells me to contact an admin and I don't know know who they are :/ the pic is resized correctly and all that but no go :(

Edited by skarden

Gtx 770 are rebadged 680, will give identical performance. Probably look for duel 780s or AMD 290/290x.

A single 780ti would give close performance of what you already got depending on game.

Edited by gamble

bang for buck is the 290 4g $449 which is a bit faster than the gtx780

then the fastest single gpu is the gtx780ti ~$700-900

Edited by Dasa

Site upload for avatars is a bit broken, if you upload to photobucket/imgur/other image host and get the direct link it'll work that way.

Dual 680s would best a single 780ti I reckon, so you'd have to get two new cards to make much of a difference. Why do you need so much GPU power? Are you running 4K or 1080p120hz? Personally I'd hold off until the next gen of cards come out, NVIDIA's Maxwell arch will be really interesting and I'm sure AMD will have something to match. But I don't really need that much GPU power right now.

Thanks gents for the replies, ah Frunj na I'm running 1440p 60hz so it's not 4K but does require a little more power then normal to keep it all smooth and the 680's do do it well for the most part, I'm a massive flight sim fan and not many of those are very well SLI optimised unfortunately so they end up normally running on one card most of the time which brings things down a little, this is slowly changing in the flight sim software world but it's taking time. That said I do like the ability to run other stuff full tilt ( BF4, ARMA 3 that sort of stuff ) and silky smooth.

I hadn't even considered ATI to be honest as last I checked their crossfire isn't as well optimised as SLI (is this still the case?) and I am kinda keen on 2 cards if possible, if they've ironed out the kinks maybe it is time to switch teams back to red.

Any ball park when the Maxwell stuff starts seeing the light of day though? if nothing else it'll drop the prices of the 700 series so even if I don't go for a Maxwell card it might make the other option a little more attractive ( read cheaper! )

p.s. and thanks for the avatar help!

Edited by skarden

If the games you are playing are not sli/xfire optimized then it probably worth trying to get a single faster card. 290x or 780ti would probably do nicely. I think some of those sims have extra graphic packs you can download too. So, it might be worth looking at 290x with 4gb (4gb standard on both x or non x) or 780ti with 6gb (3gb is standard on 780ti and non ti) if you plan for single gpu.

But for the price, the standard 290 non x version is good value/performance, has 4gb, and getting two of those would save some money over x and ti while giving great single gpu performance. Just make sure you pick up the 290's with aftermarket coolers, the junk reference ones get hot. Most companies have their own cooling solutions on them now.

Overview of performance, but not at your res...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_..._Gaming/24.html

You should be able to sell your cards for some extra $$ too :)

Maxwell is delayed to the end of the year possibly?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/...Delayed-to-2015

Edited by gamble

arma 3 is one of the few games out there that is totally cpu limited in most high end systems

there is simply no cpu out there close to powerfull enough to run it smooth when maxed with the current engine having such pore multithreading support

ah thanks people, this is exactly the kind of advice I was chasing, I'm still pretty keen on keeping a duel card set up for the large amount of other non sim games I play im still thinking team green for the time being.

Ah so many options, to wait for maxwell, to jump in now and get a couple of 780's ( which in leaning towards ) switch to ATI. ah I do love being a PC gamer :)

Your not wrong about arma 3 being very poorly optimised

, I figured my rig would almost run it at full tilt everything but its not the case, most of the settings are pretty high but its that damn distance slider that drags things down, hopefully they iron it out but I got a feeling it's more of a game engine thing and can probably only be tweaked so much, shame cause it's an absolutely amazing game.

Edited by skarden