Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Myra`Jai

[ding ding] Round Three for Brisbane

<YAWN> I predicted this at 11.30am this morning

ZOMG! You predicted there would be a storm after a hot day in Brisbane?! You're better than Nostradamus!!!

:-|

PS: It's pissing down here now. And very windy. And there's lot's of lightning.

Now that was awesome! Living near the tallest building in Surfers Paradise does have it's advantages.

Now that was awesome! Living near the tallest building in Surfers Paradise does have it's advantages.

what happened? get pix?

what happened? get pix?

No pics sorry. Lighting was striking the Q1 Tower down the road. I've never seen or heard lighting that close before.

I found an old pic, not taken by me though. I live across the road from those cranes.

Posted Image

From the rumbling in the distance it sounds like it's coming back for more.

Edited by reborn

copy-paste from other thread cos it looks dead and this looks like the go :P

That storm is stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We drove back from nimbin through tweed with the storm following us the entire way... once we got to birkdale the fucker unleashed all fury, got the car in a garage (after a few minutes of frantically moving shit to make room for it!) because we knew we wouldn't make it to wynnum before the hail it.. 30 seconds after we get the car in the hail hits. that was intense!

Dropped mates off at cannon hill, all underneath their house flooded, about 3-5 inches high all round. just a garage but its our hangout so couches, fridge, guitar cables all soaked! oh wells.

now i'm home in balmoral and there's still a sweet ass lightning show going on.

finally brisbanes storms have grown some balls :)

I just want to know what brand of wheaties the engineers for the tunnels got their degrees from.

What sort of dip-shit doesn't allow for drainage or pumps in a tunnel?

God help us if they are involved in the under river tunnel building.

I just want to know what brand of wheaties the engineers for the tunnels got their degrees from.

What sort of dip-shit doesn't allow for drainage or pumps in a tunnel?

God help us if they are involved in the under river tunnel building.

They are involved - one of the partners and the under river tunnels were dry - no problem

they DID install pumps... if you read the article, it said the sensors failed

Rain, wind, hail, seems to be about on par for our area these days :-) The parks were flooded again this morning, making for another sloshing trek through water and debris to get to the bus stop, though the creek will be back to normal by, well by now, probably. The Brissy River is full of grass and branches this morning.

We didn't get the worst of that storm, that's for sure, but we never do in our area. Good job, sky, another round in the books.

I hope anyone who wishes for storms is doing so in jest because all storms bring with them is destruction. Lovely for the people who want to take photos of that and terrible for everyone else.

Of course, but it's not going to stop me wishing for them.... Of course I hope noone gets hurt, but i still can't wait for the next storm!

It isn't just loss of life or injury but property damage, loss of income, sheer terror and every other negative emotion you can think of. Storms are pretty to look at but I'd NEVER wish them on anyone because wherever that storm is means some poor person is copping it and could be suffering. I've honestly never had too many issues with bystanders or photographers in previous incidents but the level on which people were getting themselves into trouble over the sake of a few photos makes me seriously wonder why it's worth it.

You aren't risking your own life, if you get into trouble there is a good chance someone is going to try and save you risking their life as well. It isn't worth it.

Edited by Rion

:)

Within reason a good storm is very refreshing, in lots of ways, however when it gets to cyclone type intensity, something I've been through a few times, it is not so much fun.

On the plus side the BOM radar looks much better today, I guess the slogan will have to change:

"Queensland, flooded one day, drying out the next."

Cheers

Edited by chrisg

Storms do serve a useful purpose, they clean the air (well, temporarily) and flush waterways and water gardens and parks. it's the intensity that matters.

Went for a drive this morning, and crossing over the north pine river on the bruce highway, the river was covered in a thick green mat, looks like the debris had been caught up in the mangroves and built right up across it.

oh, and I saw a dozen army vehicles moving into ferny hills this morning too.

Edited by smadge1

"Queensland, flooded one day, drying out the next."

We're still officially in drought...

lol

BOM has nothin

BOM ain't loading for me today, but the Elders website shows a fair bit of rain around Brisvegas