Sign in to follow this  
atosniper

DNS down over whole country?

This weekend in Japan it seems that most, if not all, ISPs in the country have had major problems with internet connectivity. They said it's something to do with DNS.

I found that Friday evening some sites wouldn't load. I thought the problem may be at my end, so cut the power from the modem and router for a while, before turning it back on. No good. So I called my ISP and I couldnt even access customer service, they just had a repeating message that said they were having trouble and to stay tuned. The next day, Sat morning, things seemed to be okay. Then from lunchtime onwards, sites stopped working again. I called the ISP and this time I could get through. The guy I spoke to said the problem was neither myself, nor the ISP but with DNS servers (or connections?). He said that all providers in the country were having issues. He said there wasnt much to be done except wait. So I did, but it still didnt get fixed. There were a few messages about the problems on the ISP homepage, but nothing helpful. So I called again today (Sunday), and the guy I spoke to this time said the same thing about DNS, but helped me with a fix. I had to manually enter a DNS number to use on all my machines, and now the internet connects fine. Fingers crossed. He said they dont know the cause yet, but it's something to do with DNS. He said the ISP has been going insane all weekend with people calling in, businesses etc. I asked if it was something like a cyber attack (dumb question? I dunno) and he said he didnt know. Strangely enough, there seems to be nothing on the news networks about it. I would have expected something, because if all the ISPs are failing there's got to be alot of annoyed people and businesses. Also, the internet via my cell phone carrier (not wifi) seemed to work okay. This internet problem has never happened before, and I've been with my ISP for about 6 years now.

So does anyone have any idea what may have caused this? I suppose I should ask about what exactly is DNS too... >_> Could the DNS going down be due to something like a cyber attack? Or is that really a dumb question...

Cheers

Edited by atosniper

Interesting.

DNS = Domain Name System

DNS maps domain names like what is in the address bar of your web browser to IP addresses which are a bunch of numbers.

Hmm that's weird then, right? If that is what DNS does, mapping, then doesnt that suggest that the whole internet (that is, all over the world) should be having issues? Instead of a single country.

Also, I've not made any changes to my laptop and I've noticed that if I just keep hitting refresh on the url bar, even if the site doesnt load initially it eventually loads...

Strange...

There are DNS servers all over the world. ISPs typically have their own.

Knowing that over 80% of the traffic in japan is 'internal' I'd wager that the DNS servers might be shared between ISP's for sake of simplicity and updates. It's odd; but its japan :P

You do know that anonymous is hacking all sites selling tickets to the Brazil World Cup. Maybe these sites are linked in some way.

There was a few issues with some DNS servers in the US and here, wouldn't surprise me if it was related.

My ISP has a link up now describing things in a little more detail. It seems it indeed was a cyber attack! It was a DDoS attack against the DNS servers all over the country that began the afternoon of Thursday Japan time. (They might use the same DNS servers as MS suggests, but I dont know) They state that problems connecting to some sites still persist and they are working on a solution.

Wow, that's quite nuts. It seems these days the internet is having one security crisis after the other... (that's probably just my recency bias though)

Edited by atosniper