Hey all, my CPU died and I need to replace it, its an AMD board so i need an AMD chip but i was wondering which one to get, AMD Socket AM3+ or FM2/FM2+. The motherboard is an MSI 790FX-GD70.

You will need to find an AM3 CPU for that board, AM3+ CPU will not fit.

ok thanks

You will need to find an AM3 CPU for that board, AM3+ CPU will not fit.

ok thanks

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AMD-ATHLON-II-X...d406&_uhb=1 i think i found a compatible chip but I need someone who knows what they are talking about to check this out since i am still new to this whole picking parts and building computers thing.

Thank you very much TheFrunj but I am a little confused on how you read the table, would it be possible to explain how you read it?
Sorry, was in a rush earlier. The list is most easily read by CPU No, typically the further down the list it is the faster the processor. Also the frequency of the cores are there.

That eBay chip you link is on the compatibility list under x270, though it's quite a low end dual-core chip especially for the $100 price tag. I would be very hesitant to pay this. There's not a lot of other choice on eBay, either.

I can't find anything worthwhile on StaticICE either.

It's hard to say whether you'd be better served upgrading the motherboard/cpu (and ram if it's old DDR2) than trying to salvage what you have already. I know it's expensive but the AM3 platform has largely been abandoned.

*UPDATE* I have found the CPU i need for a replacement upgrade it is the AMD Phenom X6 1090T, thank for all the help.

Good choice, hope it works out for you. Pretty much the most powerful CPU option on that motherboard compatibility list.

Ah its Noddy's son.

I was wondering how on earth you'd expect a CPU of all things to die; I dont think ive EVER seen it, even on my severely overclocked rigs.

But I'm assuming its the last straw to try replacing.