Sign in to follow this  
fajw

converting records to CD

It looks like I am going to get the RP1, maybe the Performance Pack version.

Edited by fajw

Good reviews and it was recommended by you and a hi-fi store, maybe partly because I don't have the money for anything more ATM.

I also intend to get Project Phono Box USB but am not sure whether to put it straight into the USB port @ my PC or to go analogue through my sound card (Creative Sound Blaster ZxR).

Oh, and I got a bottle of Record Revirginizer.

Those PROJECT boxes arent high quality, but they work reliably and are above average.

Its hard to decide.... I've not opened one, but as an educated guess:

using analogue you'll probably be using a simple single stage amplifier, and the computer will be responsible for Analogue to digital.

Using USB, you'll be relying on phono level to digital; it depends on the quality of the DAC (or in this case ADC). Its probably worth googling what chip does the ADC (analogue to Digital Conversion) so you can decide if its better than your onboard sound card's ADC.

You can probably also find out what analogue amp it uses this way too.

Edited by Master_Scythe

To be honest, when I was working in the industry, thats the only one we sold standalone, because it was 'cheap' and most people didnt care.

the majority of people who wanted a turntable needed a full amp, or were replacing the TT on an existing setup.

As such, we'd either sell no preamps, or try to suggest a quality Marantz or BelCanto amplifier with a phono pre-stage built in.

This one, i'm afraid you're on your own for.

All i can tell you is that they're cheap for a company to buy; theres a GOOD profit on them, so stores will push 'project' gear. Read independent reviews and go from there.

I got a Project Phono Box USB (as was recommended to me by the guy at the store) and a a Rega RP1 Performance Pack and I am quite happy with them.

This Record Revirginizer is more trouble than it's worth.

I left it on for 12 hours (which is the maximum recommended time) and it wouldn't peel off properly; there was a significant amount of sticky stuff left. I guess it's too cold and/or humid.

Edited by fajw

I'd wager less honestly.

Its like exfoliating. You're pulling debris out of holes; its not actually 'as one' with the surface; so all you need is a tacky sheet to pull it up.

I'm not leading you astray, I honestly used that stuff a lot and had no issues.

So what I've been doing is recording with Audacity, default settings, then chopping the tracks up into .wav files then making an audio CD using the .wav files with Windows Media Player. Is this right or am I missing something?

If there are no standout problems with what you are doing so far, then you should be fine. If you really want to make sure you're doing it right, then....

Record at 24 bit / 44.1 KHz, aim for -6dBFS peaks

Add dither

Normalise the whole recorded track to -0.5dBFS using DC offset correction

Slice up into individual tracks and burn

Edited by komuso

Thanks but the dither link didn't work and I'm not sure how to "aim for -6dBFS peaks".

Click the dither link again, it should work now. Sorry about that.

When you are recording the records, make sure that the loudest sounds do not go higher than -6dB. Click here for metering information.

Edited by komuso

Thanks.

The main problem I have with Record Revirginizer is that I don't know how long to wait before I try to peel it off. If my home was always at the same temperature and humidity it wouldn't be a problem but that's not the case.

Oh, and in Rega's documentation they suggest not using cleaning liquids.

Now my records sound like shit. I wonder if some of the Record Revirginizer got on the stylus and I need to clean it. I'm guessing touching it is not good.

Edited by fajw