Sign in to follow this  
tdos105

Which GPU should I use in main gaming computer.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2014-vg...,3593.html?prod[6785]=on&prod[6845]=on

A little lower down the scale but 2 generations newer - I should think the 280x would win in practically every department. Slight power consumption disadvantage but that would vary depending on individual model using each GPU.

Depends what you want to do with it - if it's gaming then you'd want the quicker one, if it's just to play videos and non-demanding games then you'd probably want low noise/power consumption.

www.tomshardware.com/charts/2014-vga-charts/compare,3593.html?prod[6785]=on&prod[6845]=on

ed - the forum did a number on the URL, might need to copy/paste the plaintext one.

Edited by Rybags

I haven't had either of these, but looking at reviews the R9 280X wins hand down for pure performance. This is shown well here. I'd definitely use the newer card in your main gaming system

I am actually kind of glad you asked this, as I've always wondered how the HD 69x0 cards compare to the newer kit. According to AnandTech, an R7 265 (rebranded HD 7850) is around the same performance as a HD 6970, while using considerably less power in the process

EDIT: Another question is what CPU's and are both of the systems? I'm guessing your main rig is what you have in your signature

Edited by nobody813

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2014-vg...,3593.html?prod[6785]=on&prod[6845]=on

A little lower down the scale but 2 generations newer - I should think the 280x would win in practically every department. Slight power consumption disadvantage but that would vary depending on individual model using each GPU.

Depends what you want to do with it - if it's gaming then you'd want the quicker one, if it's just to play videos and non-demanding games then you'd probably want low noise/power consumption.

www.tomshardware.com/charts/2014-vga-charts/compare,3593.html?prod[6785]=on&prod[6845]=on

ed - the forum did a number on the URL, might need to copy/paste the plaintext one.

Thanks Rybags. I will try the 280x In my main system which is the AMD processor machine Full tower. I mainly want this main big tower to be my main gaming system.

I haven't had either of these, but looking at reviews the R9 280X wins hand down for pure performance. This is shown well here. I'd definitely use the newer card in your main gaming system

I am actually kind of glad you asked this, as I've always wondered how the HD 69x0 cards compare to the newer kit. According to AnandTech, an R7 265 (rebranded HD 7850) is around the same performance as a HD 6970, while using considerably less power in the process

EDIT: Another question is what CPU's and are both of the systems? I'm guessing your main rig is what you have in your signature

My other system I have just build is and Intel i5-4590 3.3Ghz, Antec 620 Watt Psu, H97N-WIFI modo, 8gb 1600 Ripjaws, Prodigy case. Overall I think this is a better machine but it is an MiNI itx which i will only use occasionaly when having lan parties etc. So im thinking of putting the 6970 insde this machine...

Let me know what you think.