Sign in to follow this  
cohmoddersolo

Quadfire 6990 or 7970 crossfire?

I know this is a pretty generic question, but Id like to hear from those who've had experience with the 2 said cards. I can get a Quadfire 6990 for ~$300 or for $100 extra crossfire 7970s. Im planning on getting an AX860i PSU to power whichever solution I get, so which one do you reckon is the way to go now?

I think it comes down to support and generation of the cards. The quadfire will have support issues or not as many games being able to support quadfire and is now two gens back.

I'd go the newer card option.

Will be supported for longer and won't suffer as much if crossfire isn't supported by some game as the cores would be individually more powerful.

The new R9 290 series has an XDMA engine which fixes much of the micro-stutter issues that crossfire had in previous generations. Going from a 6990 to the 295X2 I can definitely tell the difference on that front.

Thanks for the input guys.

I eliminated Quadfire 6990 option - wasnt too keen on knowing it would sip ~900w from the wall. Since Ive got a 680 now Ill just grab another 680 and do crossfire. Pretty keen to bench against my mate who has a 690 when I get my SLI setup going.

What do you guys reckon the results would be - 680 SLI > 690?