bowlen

What's your media server

A lot of people run Plex or something similar which obviously has access to a large store of videos/shows etc. I'm wandering what your media server setup is, what machine do you have, how many hdds etc.

I just use my main machine and have multiple hard drives running on that, but I am considering building a new machine with HDDs in a RAID so I can power down my main machine overnight etc.

I've tried a few. The bells and whistles IMO just make the things more bloated and cumbersome. I couldn't care for fancy icons, transcoding or maintaining library statistics. Don't want eye-candy on the PC-side either, transparancy is the name of the game - just the tray icon so I know it's alive is sufficient for me.

Heard good things about Twonky but haven't tried it. I had an older version of Mezzmo for a while, it was good because it just used the PC directory rather than maintaining it's own (which is an annoyance because you have to refresh every time you add files).

For the most part of the last year or so been using Sony Homestream which is just a rebadging of Serviio. With a bit of tailoring it can be prettty streamlined but it does have the annoyance of maintaining it's own library directory database.

I just serve up video files over Wifi. Don't care much either for streaming music or pictures. Hassle-free video playback is what I'm after.

Was an old Acer box with a 3.06Ghz cpu, 2GIG of RAM, running Linux Mint 13 MATE. Mostly set up to share the 4 drives used for storage, Torrenting with Transmission torrent client, and Transmission-Remote-GUI on the other desktops to offload torrents to it, PLEX Media Server to catalog and grab all info for the various DVD rips, albums, tv shows, etc. Set-up so could SSH into it, or remote in graphically with VNC. All my CDs and DVDs are all ripped and stored on it also, so no real need to dig any media out most of the time. Recently upgraded to Mint 17 MATE (based on new Ubuntu LTS), and took the opportunity to swap out the board and CPU with a 2.5 Ghz Celeron sitting around, and better connectivity on the board. Most of the same setup all round, general access to household, Samba for file-sharing, and PLEX makes it simpler to browse the media collection and have all the info at hand, since the names aren't always obvious. Use Filebot to rename shows grabbed online, as they're often named weirdly, and everything is simple to manage. I have a lot of old stuff lying around, and hate seeing it go to waste. Plus, file-serving is hardly an intensive task.

Edited by Midnighter

My system is fully automatic. Flexget for pulling down torrent files (without having to hand-carve regular expressions to exclude unwanted stuff), deluge and deluge-daemon for downloading, Plex Media Server for DLNA serving, and PlexConnect so my TV eps appear on my AppleTV.

The server is an Atom D525-based system, running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Storage is 4x3TB drives in RAID-5 in a Qnap TS-419P+ NAS ($30 from the Umart flood sale)

Edited by SquallStrife

Amd sempron with an ASROCK motherboard, running 'core unlock' to become a dual core.

Runs Windows Server 2003, and XBMC.

Currently has 7TB = 14 1TB drives.

Will soon be going to 15TB with 10X 3TB drives.

HP Microserver G8 (Celeron CPU) with 10GB RAM and 4x3TB RED SATA using ZFS. Runs on CentOS, Plex for video and transmission for torrent. Samba and Netatalk for file sharing and Time Machine backups.

I tend to archive old TV series so it doesn't occupy by main storage area.

I have an external dual USB dock and 2 x 4TB HDD which are used for backup via Rsync. I need to buy another two so I can take these ones offsite and start rotating.

I am backing up too much data to go fully cloud however, I do use Dropbox for WIP documents and files. Photo libraries etc ... are included in Time Machine backups which are replicated to the USB dock backup.

qnap ts212p

1.6ghz cpu with 512mb ddr3 - 6w in sleep mode, around 13 or so cranking

presently 2tb as a single drive, but with capacity up to 2x4 tb either as raid or jbod

previously has a qnap ts109pro and loved it for years, but the newer one has torrenting ability, and can be sent instructions to do so from my asus transformer tf300t

streams hd via the billion router without issue

2nd hand was $135 delivered sans disks; around $200 mew- bargain either way :)

I just use my main machine to run as my Plex server. It's currently got something like 8tb of storage in it, so it's doing the trick for now, but I'd like to get a dedicated server and put everything in a RAID 5 array. Those 6TB drives look nice...

I run windows 7 mce with media browser plugin and twin tv tuners.

I use sickbeard and coachpotatoe to get my tv and movies down off usenet (torrents? Lol)

Media center handles pvr goodness for all my wife shows.

Hardware is. Q6600 with 4GB and 4 x 2TB HDD

i run air video server on it so i can stream whatever to my ipad and i use my xbox 360 as a media center extender on the kids tv.

I also use cyberlink for bd playback and connect via toslink to a 7.1 yamaha a/v receiver and speakers

Edited by kikz

Bit of a dogs breakfast here.

Most of my media is on my main PC because I use it the most for everything from general stuff to gaming to watching vids. (i5 4670 quad core, 16GB ram, R9 270X, 250Gb SSD, 3 x 2Tb HDDs and 1 x 4Tb HDD, Hauppage HVR-2210).

It is also close to the wood heater in the kitchen so it's nice and warm in the winter. I use the Hauppage software for watching and recording TV and use MPC HC X64 or VLC for media playback.

In the spare room/work room I also have a 2011 WHS box running a low power AMD E-350 Dual core (18w TDP), 4Gb of ram and 2 x 2TB HDDs. This is mainly used to "aquire" media and is on 24/7

In the lounge I have an HTPC consisting of an AMD FM1 A4-3400, 4Gb ram, 64Gb SSD, 2Tb conventional HDD and a Leadtek Winfast DTV2000 DS TV Tuner in an Antec Fusion Remote Black case.

I use Windows Media Centre for recording and recorded TV playback and watching live tv. MPC HC X64 for general media files and VLC with ANYDVD HD for DVDs and BDs.

I suppose one of these days I should get my act together and fit some serious storage to the WHS box and move all my media over to it, taking advantage of doing this to clean up any duplicates etc etc. One of these days.

So usage wise I normally use my main PC. If I can be bothered I light a fire in the lounge (in winter) and veg in front of the HTPC, either streaming from the main PC or WHS box or with an actual disk in the BD drive.

Control is via a Shintaro wireless multimedia keyboard with inbuilt glide pad and mouse keys.

I do have a Logitech Harmony 1100i remote but frankly I find it a pain to use. The KB is so much better IMO.

I don't do media much, so I don't care to mess with it. There's a TiVo taking care of things in the family room.

Plex on my main box.

I have the plex app on my devices, and a chromecast.

Before the chromecast I used a wdtv.

Right now I have Serviio on my desktop. But I used to (and will again, once we move house) have an old desktop setup with Windows Home Server 2013. That handled media streaming, file sharing, remote desktop, and automated backups.

I have a WD worldbook edition NAS, that I think runs twonky under the hood - I only use it to share MP3s with a couple of soundbridges at this time.

My Movies/TV shows collection is all on original optical media, and I can't be bothered ripping it for a network media server - the money spent on a big ass media server would be better spent on content.

FTA TV recorded by the PVR is just for time shifting, nothing gets kept - although it might be nice to be able to play what is recorded in the living room in the HT room of vice-versa.

Win7 box running Plex, pointing to a NAS (QNAP TS-469L) with my media store on it.

Cant speak highly enough of Plex. Apps for all platforms, server runs faultlessly, auto downloads metadata for all files, search function is very powerful, nicely organised, and most importantly, all my file formats work.

Forgot to mention, I use a Roku for getting the content to the telly. That is also win.

Plex on Windows 8.

The WIndows 8 machine gets content from a fileserver. So nothing is stored on the actual Plex machine. They are connected by ethernet.

Edited by smakme7757

Well, I know it's not strictly a "media server" but Presto from Foxtel is now only $9.99/m to stream a heck of a lot of movies, new releases and oldies. You can stream to iPad, Android (Tablets) and Chromecast (but not AppleTV...)

In the end, I use FetchTV for 90% of the stuff I want, and the TV has HDMI inputs, so the 2nd PC is hooked up to it. It's great for Multiplayer Diablo, and DVD/Blurays.

I don't download any TV/Movies (unless it's streaming stuff. eg. iView) so my requirements are very minimal.

AD

Plex on my main machine, then I have a Roku and a Mac Mini in different rooms of the house and they run the Plex Media Centre as well. House has data points throughout it so it all works rather well.

I'm using TVMobili on my workshop computer which serves as a media server. I only needed it to get media to our TV and it seems to work perfectly fine. The rest of us can access the shares over the network so I use XBMC on my bedroom/workhorse/gaming computer. Love XBMC.

I have a pretty overpowered Plex/NAS server.

Xeon 1260l 4c/8t 45w

ASrock Z77 Extreme 4

16GB Samsung 1600 DDR3

4x 3tb WD green

2x 2tb WD Green

1x 160GB WD raptor

Corsair rm 650 PSU

CM Stacker 830 case

Windows 7 pro

Plex Server

Plexconnect

The server delivers to 2x HTPC, 2x Apple TV's, 2x droid tablets & Phones. Tested the server with 6 concurrent different transcoding streams without a hitch. downloads are handled via a seedbox/VPN, whilst I can't automate the downloads the peace of mind makes up for it.

The only thing I had to purchase when building was the CPU everything else was in my parts bin/ i was originally going for a low power i3 but the price on the xeon was just to hard to pass up.

Edited by Pigs can fly
  • Like 1