Sign in to follow this  
fajw

Cherry MX key switches suck

The point at which a key press is registered is above/before the full depression of the key. I would rather a Tt eSports Poseidon Z keyboard or a Razer keyboard.

The point at which a key press is registered is above/before the full depression of the key. I would rather a Tt eSports Poseidon Z keyboard or a Razer keyboard.

You probably got the wrong coloured switch for your needs.

The point at which a key press is registered is above/before the full depression of the key.

Why did you assume The point at which a key press is registered is not above/before the full depression of the key.

He's right Squall; about how they work.

But thats the idea. They register the press before the bottom, but usually right at the point of resistance (so browns\blues resistance spot, just past half way down).

However, he comes in here like a moron. How do they suck?

They seem to be performing exactly as intended by the company, and exactly as the majority of people expect and like.

How can they 'suck' when performing correctly?

The two keyboards you've listed use Kailh switches (yes, razer calls them their own, they're not). They're not much different. They too, register before the key bottoms out. (though I cant be certain of that for every colour available in their range).

Just a typical irrational argument IMO. "Its not how I believe, therefore it sucks" When in reality, its working as nature (or in this case technology) intended.

Edited by Master_Scythe

I own a Razer keyboard and it is not possible for it to register a press unless the key is fully depressed.

Then its faulty.

Razer Kailh switches actuate 1.5mm before bottoming out; aproximately 1mm after the 'click' point.

Do you find you miss a lot of keystrokes? If I had to bottom out every key (not even scissor or Membrane require that!) I'd never push hard enough. I type too fast to have time to bottom out.

Edited by Master_Scythe

I apologise; it looks like I was wrong about the Razer keyboard. The keys do not need to be fully depressed for a press to register. I was mistaken because it is difficult to get a key press to register without hitting the bottom.

Topre's electrostatic switches also actuate before they bottom out. It's why I love them so, don't have to mash the keyboard to type, can be light and relaxed.

This thread on overclock.net suggests that rubber dome (and presumably scissor switch / low-profile / chiclet) actuate at the bottoming out point, not halfway through. So perhaps a regular rubber dome keyboard would suit better than mechanical.

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/official...-keyboard-guide

*edit*

Since it's on topic, you can buy a sampler of the four most common Cherry MX switches to see if you like it before committing to a full purchase. May or may not be a good idea based on how cautious you feel.

http://www.mechkb.com/deck-cherry-sampler

Edited by TheFrunj

He's right Squall; about how they work.

I know. I was asking why he assumed they were/should be different, in a style lampooning his usual "Why do you think [copy paste sentence and change one or two words.]"

But thats the idea. They register the press before the bottom, but usually right at the point of resistance (so browns\blues resistance spot, just past half way down).

That's why I like IBM buckling spring keyboards. The actual buckling of the spring simultaneously creates the sound, the key "give", and the electronic connection.

As opposed to Cherry switches, where the switch, sound, and physical feedback can be two or three independent widgets triggered as the keycap descends.

Just a typical irrational argument IMO. "Its not how I believe, therefore it sucks" When in reality, its working as nature (or in this case technology) intended.

Mhm. Typical fajw indeed.

Apparently Razer makes its own switches.

According to who?

Razer? Lying.

This is Ironic timing, because ive been looking into the chinese keybaord market for... reasons....If you have someone who speaks chinese Contact Kalih and ask them who they supply to....

Or if you own a razer, desolder one and tear it apart.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7911/razer-b...yboard-review/3

This thread on overclock.net suggests that rubber dome (and presumably scissor switch / low-profile / chiclet) actuate at the bottoming out point, not halfway through. So perhaps a regular rubber dome keyboard would suit better than mechanical.

Try the KNUCKER keyboard :)

http://www.ttesports.com.au/productPage.aspx?p=33&g=ftr