Spriggan

Dota 2

One thing I'm noticing a LOT in the latest International is that the 'warding' is significantly less. It's still present, but it used to be you couldn't move for wards. Now? 1. Maybe 2. This is frequent. Normally it'd be 3, 4, 5.

It's really showing a shift in styles. And rapidly.

AD

Hmmm, not really it's still there and it's really highlighted when a team starts losing. Ignoring the cooldown on purchases, whenever a team gets pushed back and dewarded they lose all their vision and the enemy comes in and wards through their jungle, at that point it's just not safe for the losing supports to just wander out on their own and ward. They need a babysitter at that point or a bit of luck to get out, ward and get back. Usually you only have two wards up at a time anyway.

Maybe I just don't get twitch, but is there a link to some narrated games/howtos/tutorials people would suggest? All the twitch links I clicked on last night were dead.

Assuming it's not going to be a massive waste of time teaching a 9 yr old how to play with the gamed assholes that inhabit moba games.

Spriggan already linked you to probably the most beginner friendly places to learn. If you cbf looking for his youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/PurgeGamers The beginner stream for the International started off really simple (items, heroes, lanes etc) and get a little more in depth as the tournament went on. You can probably still watch them via twitch or the International site, but the easier way to view them would be via purchasing a TI4 ticket in game and watching them their. However, due to some prizes mechanics due shortly they're currently unavailable to purchase and Valve did give viewing rights away for free to the TI3 last year after the event so maybe in a few days you'll be able to watch those to.

9yo?

Its playable for him, but probably only with his own age group. There's a LOT to consider. All the time.

Youngest ive gamed with, that was any good, was about 13?

20603563 is my id if anyone wants to add me. Im not very active right now but you may catch me for a game or two every now and then (Tony Danza is my handle )

I've come to the conclusion I should just play like shit. Whenever I have an amazing game it always ends in a loss because someone else from a stack is so awful it's uncarryable.

I'm not sure which one of the recent ones shits me the most. The game were we got the other team to call a 15min GG then proceeded to lose 30mins later because their 4 carry team final caught and pushed our racks because our Morphling was so awful he had less farm then the 4 and 5 or the one where Tusk and I destroyed top and the roaming mid only for us to lose (again 30mins later) because our mid was awful, our Sandking was dirt poor with his uncontested jungle and our Dark Seer somehow lost his lane, rushed a radiance before a mek and then would use the mek at full health solo...

Edited by Ihsan

That's what happens in pub games.

Even ranked doesnt help much because you can get stuck in an MMR hole like I am.

Over the last month dropped from 6k to 2.4k MMR. And once you're down there, you're expected to carry new players.

Its why the 'good' players are asses. Play riki, Sniper, huskar, razor, PL, the list goes on.

Heroes who people claim are cheap because they win in the hands of someone who knows how to play them.

A good example is riki; for any pro team he's a simple counter. If EVERYONE puts 500 gold in, and gets 1 ward stuck, and a dust, he's always visible. Its not a lot of gold in the scheme of things.

But the noobs just fight over who needs to buy them, and who's 'feeding' and who's not. That you never get countered.

Watch out for blood seekers and silencers, and you're all right!

I played as shadowshaman against a morphling. We were down early and ended up winning. Could be the same game. I was in a lane with a fucking terrible kunka (sound familiar? )

I tend to play support at the moment because at least i know someone is going to ward lol

A pro DOTA player did an AMA.

http://np.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2c1x..._super_amd_ama/

Found his reply to a question interesting enough to post here:

Question:

Say you're an Aussie and you want to get into the pro league, do you just find some other players set up a team and enter tournaments, how are you noticed? Do you offer to scrim with next level tier teams? Thanks :)

Answer:

Being an Aussie I think its incredibly hard, because of the ping issue. The only real thing you can do is do well in Aussie MM and hope to get noticed by old pros I guess?....Sorry I dont really have more advice because Aussie ping is pretty bad on most servers Afaik

----------------------

/me wonders what MS would be like if we had NBN and/or local servers!

AD

we do have local servers. Its one of the few pleas VALVE gave into. Ping is on average 66ms (one way). Its because I have packet loss and sub 4mbps connection where I live.

Though, what DOES happen is we get 'dojo syndrome'. Its a rarely used martial arts term meaning you're great at fighting ONLY people from your dojo, because you never went anywhere else.

The rare time I do play on US servers (175 ping one way) I actually do quite well. Just have to play heroes who are lag friendly.

Ive got a few mates who play with me, almost as much as I do.

We cant figure whats happening with match making at the moment. 2.6k is my MMR and i'm still losing. But on a 6k-mmr account, I walk away with a 75%+ win rate.

All I can put it down to is that I grew up on Battle.Net with DOTA1, where an organised team was a big thing. Lots of practice together only, and multiple battle plans to execute should the enemy play unexpectedly.

I surmise that I suck hard without a team to support me, but at the same time am equally good at captaining said team (as i have done in the past) and the publics are eating me.

I guess what I'm trying to do is make an excuse for my losing streak; no other way to put it. But at the same time, my personal in game score hasnt dropped.

I think I need to put the call out for a propper full time team with daily training again; see whats going on!

someone was talking about this the other day. They said that aussie players are actually pretty good because there are less ppl playing so when you get to a high mmr your constantly playing ppl around your level. It harder for someone to sneak up the ranks.

Due to the fact that most tournaments are not lans it makes it hard with our ping to even get an aussie team into the SEA tournaments

I really don't understand this game at times. Until very recently I had a 0% winrate in mid. I'm awful at it. I hate it. For some reason my team decided that me wandering off to drop a ward on Lina was me going mid. I even told them welcome to a loss. SF tore me to shreds, I couldn't last hit or deny anything with Lina's awful animation. I even said fuck it and just kept buying wards with what little farm I had. One nice little team fight in mid and some roaming with Nyx later and SF has rage quit, I'm 11/5/20 and actually winning a game mid even after I lost the first ten minutes and achieved nothing. Game makes no sense.

There is a theory in the martial arts called "Mushin". Almost literally meaning "No mind". When you don't care and don't think (no mind), you can act and react instinctively based purely on practice and training.

Write it off as that, smile and nod. :P

AD

There was lots of thought though. "I'm playing like shit and we're losing because of it" came up quiet a bit.

Did you think about strategy though?

When I enter the state of "Mushin" (Not trying to sound hippy crappy here but anyways) I'm often thinking about other things. What's for dinner or whatever. So I'm thinking. However, I'm not thinking "In the moment". I'm not thinking "I need to do this to succeed" which is what it sounds like you did. You were thinking "This is crap" But you weren't thinking "I need to click that and than that" as an immediate moment.

However, this could just be hippy bullcrap and whatever. Just raising a serious thought.

To put in context. Think of it like this. Tie a shoelace. NOW tie a shoelace but think about EACH step as you do it. Which was faster. The one without thought or the one where you were thinking about each step.

AD

There was lots of thought though. "I'm playing like shit and we're losing because of it" came up quiet a bit.

If you've decided this before double digit deaths; and before 20 minutes, you're your own worst enemy.

It takes a while to notice which teams going to drop off at 25mins (almost) regardless of feed.

I've been winning too much again lately. It's back to a losing streak it seems. That, or I really shouldn't play on the weekends when all the kiddies are about...

All the matches during the day were rage quitters, people blaming everyone else for them losing or some weird meta I'm not aware of where someone screams bloody murder till they get solo dire safe lane and then being stomped into the ground and leaving the lane and then going and screwing someone elses lane. The first time seemed random, the second coincidence...

At least the loses at night are nice, close games with everyone communicating. :/

Ive practiced a minimum of 4 hours a day, every day, since 2004.

If my memory serves, I've missed maybe 3 days of practice in total, ever.

What the Fuck. I haven't done .NET development that long! In fact I don't think I've ever spent that much time on anything. I guess that's commitment.

Lol; yep.

When you spend your high school life being told you'll always fail at everything by your peers, you decide you're going to be the biggest winner of the current 'hot trend' in gaming. It just never passed.

7000 hours on my DOTA2 account.

I'd imagine at least 10 fold that many on my Battle.Net account.

It also helped that when my vision was bad, I put my 42" TV on my desk @ 720p and was able to keep playing.

On that note, back to sampling programming languages and trying to find out what to learn. Its bloody tricky to find a language that works for a back and front end... Java is still coming up tops on my books.

I've been winning too much again lately. It's back to a losing streak it seems. That, or I really shouldn't play on the weekends when all the kiddies are about...

I'v gone back to playing a lot of KOTL. (keeper of the light).

He wins games. He's one of the few heroes I can use my experience with to tip the game.

Illuminate can stop almost any push; with boots of travel you ARE the push; mana leak gives you an escape; allies never run out of mana; Dagon esures kills; Recall means I can bring heroes where I want them to be...

Its like captaining a team but no one really knows you're doing it :P

Edited by Master_Scythe

On that note, back to sampling programming languages and trying to find out what to learn. Its bloody tricky to find a language that works for a back and front end... Java is still coming up tops on my books.

Without derailing the thread. No. Just No. :)