Spriggan

Dota 2

And we're back to having more red then green on the first page of recent games and what a game of throws to do it with. A Bloodseeker who spends his first 20 odd levels not knowing how to use his silence, running away from low health targets rather then killing them to heal. A beastmaster who's farming ancients and has a batrider illusion come up behind and just sit there. He gets told its fake. He stops, looks at it for five seconds. Hits it twice, then blows everything on it. We then proceed to get wiped because he had no cooldowns and god knows wtf Bloodseeker was doing, probably standing around in another lane farming creeps with his radiance rather then actually hitting them. The enemy team then strolls through three straight towers since we're all dead and the games gone on for so long from meepo and bloodseeker just farming the jungle.

At least it almost made me forget about the game before it where our dire top lane pudge decided after 30 seconds he was going to wander down to the radiant jungle and just walk around in circles for the next five minutes...

And I still don't have my reports back from the game where our team feed on purpose. -_-

Edit: Jesus fucking christ, and we'll follow that up with a CK who goes mid and decides he's going to play support even though we've already got a support and a semi carry.

Edited by Ihsan

protip; worry less about others until its team fight time.

Also, there is always a way to 'convince' someone to cooperate.

"I'm going support" (fuck... we need a tank)

"Sounds good bro" (how am I going to make this dude tank?"

solution:

"Those auras and spells will hang around longer with HP dude, support, but still go for a heart"

Word it right, and you can 'guide' the team quite easily.

Lol... worry less until it's team fight time. He got 1 assist and 0 kills in 30mins. He didn't come to team fights. Too busy off farming his euls. Even bought a smoke while we were defending our highground so he could go farm the jungle some more...

Been playing a lot of LoL lately. I installed dota 2 same time I installed LoL. Haven't gotten around to finishing the tutorials yet. Reading through this thread, I'm kinda glad I haven't bothered.

Granted I've come across a fair share of trolls and asshats so far, but nothing as aggravating as what's going on here O_o Plus I prefer the art style and ui of LoL (seems less 'cluttered').

Been playing a lot of LoL lately. I installed dota 2 same time I installed LoL. Haven't gotten around to finishing the tutorials yet. Reading through this thread, I'm kinda glad I haven't bothered.

Granted I've come across a fair share of trolls and asshats so far, but nothing as aggravating as what's going on here O_o Plus I prefer the art style and ui of LoL (seems less 'cluttered').

I wouldn't read too much into my complaints atm. Horrible games like I've been having are normally a one a week thing, it's just that for some reason over the last two to three it's been nothing but the opposite for me.

I actually tried to watch some of the recent LoL championship(?) and I realised that as much as I used to like its style, its awful for working out what is going on in a team fight.

its awful for working out what is going on in a team fight.

I'm nowhere near good enough for that to be an issue for me yet :) Has dota got an ignore button for dick teammates like LoL has?

Also I'm probably wrong but dota seems more complicated (more stuff going on, a ton more class types, etc) than LoL. As if LoL is a little bit more 'streamlined' so to speak.

Yeah, it's got a mute button. I've rarely felt the need to use it though. For the most part I only ever use it on those rare occasions where I get put in a non-english speaking stack and they feel the need to constantly use it (to I presume give orders and report missings and the like) rather then just pinging or using the chat wheel. Sorry, I can't understand you, so I'm not going to listen to it for the next thirty minutes.

I wouldn't really say LoL is more "streamlined," the word I'd more likely go with is "stale." LoL has a very rigid meta game that hasn't changed in forever due to it's map layout that makes teams choose the same heroes over and over and then fight the same heroes in the same places over and over. Your brusier/tank top, AP mid, ADC and support bottom with a Jungler bottom. It never changes, this is the route to maximum farm. New heroes will be made to continue with this meta and be overpower to start with so you buy them, usually followin the exact same skill style as everything else in the game. A "skillshot", a gap closer/movement skill, something you never skill and an AoE nuke. Dota just doesn't conform to this rigid setup. The map isn't an even mirror, heroes don't follow the same skill setup, there's no maximum farm lane setup. It changes.

Sure people like to complain about things like last hitting and denying, but a few games on a hero and you'll have their rythym down it's not as hard as they make it out. Killing your own creeps is really just as simple as clicking on a different coloured mob in order to be a prick to the other guy. 99% of moba players want to be a prick to the other guy in the first place...

It is perhaps a little more daunting to begin with due to how much information there is to take in, but once given it a chance (in a vein very similar to something like say Dark Souls) it's very hard to go back. I've spent more money then I care to remember on LoL but I just can't go back, it's very stale and very boring. The only thing I really enjoyed before I quit and came back to Dota was ARAM and that's probably because it was a big fuck you to the meta of the same ten to fifteen heroes and map placements over and over.

Fair enough. Thanks for the info. Gives me something to think about if/when I get bored of LoL. It's (dota) just so freaking daunting when browsing around the game looking at all the different champ types, etc. I didn't know you could kill your own creeps (now the whole 'denying' thing makes sense :p ).

I've got a few more provisional games to see where in Bronze I'll get placed :) It's good to know I should keep dota installed!

p.s. Anyone tried Smite? Does the 3rd person camera thing really make a moba seem that much more different?

No idea on Smite.

Haven't played LoL for a while, but I've watched a few videos of it recently (When I did my Ti4 binge). I just didn't "get" LoL after that. I appreciate it. But I love that extra bit of complexity. It just makes things feel a little more organic and random. But that's my personal opinion. I enjoy that stuff. Can appreciate why some people don't.

AD

This issue is that most people use dota forum threads to complain about the bad games. We all get plenty of good ones too. e.g. fountain down to 300hp, turn game to win. http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/839859541

This issue is that most people use dota forum threads to complain about the bad games. We all get plenty of good ones too. e.g. fountain down to 300hp, turn game to win. http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/839859541

Yeah, when you have awful games brought on by bad or toxic player people feel the need to vent. The good games, not so much. You're usually content with them. You have a good game, you queue up for the next. Great games you might post a link for the replay if you want to gloat a little.

Tried LoL, for me the block was that every character had a 'job'. DOTA kinda does, but you can always build outside the box, there are quite a few in LoL you cant....

Also, you're right, LoL is alot more streamlined and has a lot less going on. This makes its uptake very quick. But its replay-ability very short lived.

I mean, I've played DOTA daily for 11 years. My mate who was a total LoL fiend (NEVER off it) stopped after less than 2 years. it got 'samey'.

Good guy Valve here it appears.

Latest update:

New Currency Support

Massive number of changes to add support for new currencies in the Dota 2 Store. All the items entries have now been changed to work with that. The entire set of supported currencies are listed below.

• Australian Dollar

Currency Conversions

Few standard conversions have been listed down in the schema. They all work at the same rates. Given below is one example of how $10 USD sizes up against other currencies.

• $10 USD - 10 AUD

Wow.

AD

All praise be to Gaben.

I seem to actually be having fun games again. Though why that Pudge on the other team from the last game thought our random pick 4 carry team and a Lina was boring I'll never know. He must of at least thought it was a fun game when he hooked a creep that one time...

You're having fun/winning again? Sounds like I should make time to start playing again!

Im still getting odd games.

But its because im playing Solo ranked (trying to get it higher) and i'm stuck in an MMR hole.

I'm only at 2300, where most players cant even place wards properly yet, let alone think outside the 'recommended build' based on who you're versing.

Ive played on 6k mmr on another account and they're easy (and fun!) but this low is a dice roll...

Im still getting odd games.

But its because im playing Solo ranked (trying to get it higher) and i'm stuck in an MMR hole.

I'm only at 2300, where most players cant even place wards properly yet, let alone think outside the 'recommended build' based on who you're versing.

Ive played on 6k mmr on another account and they're easy (and fun!) but this low is a dice roll...

Just play lycan every game. For a few more days, he's an insta win on dire.

Could someone please explain to me this game? We insta-picked a heap of heros for lvl 1 rosh (and SK for my brother's friend with 3 games), got near teamwiped about 3 times in the first 10 minutes, weaver got lvl 6 at 4 min, then we can back to win.

Could someone please explain to me this game? We insta-picked a heap of heros for lvl 1 rosh (and SK for my brother's friend with 3 games), got near teamwiped about 3 times in the first 10 minutes, weaver got lvl 6 at 4 min, then we can back to win.

You mean other then the fact picking Lycan is like picking Earth Spirit or Terrorblade pre-nerf and you should feel bad about it?

The gold and exp graphs tell the story. What little gold lead they have to start with comes out of that Rosh pit fight and the first two towers. After that they insist on putting all three of their carries in the same lane and not pushing while your rat dota Lycan and Lone Druid are free to do as they please in other lanes. All their gold gets concentrated on Weaver since the rest of them keep dying while you get a fairly even spread across everyone bar the Sand King. Hell, they wasted like 3 minute trying to gank the Sand King in his sandstorm. Killing the Sand King over and over wasn't going to do much more then delay the blink when it was really the Ursa that was coming in and wiping their paper thin heroes long before his ult would of even charged up. Windrunner occasionally turns up to fight, Earthshaker doesn't.

TL;DR Version: They got cocky, they rotated the wrong heroes, ganked the wrong heroes and had no plan outside of stopping the level 1 Rosh.

^ correct.

I cant stress enough; pre-15minutes, I'd not even be worried about a 10-0 score if it happened. Its almost irrelevant that early, its all about setting up, learning your enemy, etc.

They SAW the rosh, and stopped it. That was an 'easy plan' together. They than failed to have any other plan beyond that.

'Gank the easy one!' is rarely useful unless its a solo support team, and you'r ganking said solo support.

can any of you guys play solo offlane ?

That's a little bit of a vague question. I'm sure anyone can do it, your success really comes down to what hero you have, who the enemy has, what kind of lane setup they're doing and how well your supports are roaming. Even the best have times where they need to just abandon the lane and go elsewhere.