Master_Scythe

Highlight, NOT THAT!

So people,

This is a simple question.

Why, when you try to highlight a single word, do browsers still struggle?

Especially if its a link.

Why has no one figured this out? Adobe Acrobat has, but browsers seem to struggle.

Why?

Acrobat *shudders* - I copied some text from a doc and pasted into the post box of another forum and got a bunch of hex chars... NFI why, it was just a standard font with normal alphanum english.

Browsers get dumber as time goes by. An annoyance of FF is that it selects the entire URL if you single click on the address but at least there's a config option that can change that behaviour.

As for selecting text, yep - with many pages you often get superflous junk that has nothing to do with what you want - or it selects what you want but omits the first character.

It seems the general practice these days is that they keep up with the Jones's insofar as complying to the latest web standards, but don't give a shit about the general interface, ease of use or end-user experience.

Edited by Rybags

What's hard about double clicking a word to select it?

Yup.

Double click and hold and drag.

What's hard about double clicking a word to select it?

That fact it rarely works.

This mainly comes up while shopping.

What if its a hyperlink? (as most shoping product names are)

What if it's part of an HTML5 'tile'? (like jbhifi)

Go try highlight some products on jbhifi.com.au, if it works (without loading each individual product, I'd love to know how).

Or more frustratingly, what if the page is formatted using CSS to look nice to the human eye, but when highlighting over a line break you select every picture on the page, as well as the next line?

The only workaround i've found for this is using 'reader' mode on the more modern browsers.

Effective! but still a complication for the end user that should be worked out.

Honestly, I think the Adobe selection rectangle from 'Reader' is the best. If you highlight only text, it'll copy only text. No restrictions on line breaks or highlighting a big block out of the middle of a paragraph (literally). And when you copy it, the clipboard is fine with it being plain text!

Include a picture in your highlight? That's fine, we'll bring that too.

Its not a deal breaker, I'm still going to use the internet; but spend half an hour with the MSY PDF's (badly laid out as they are), then go and try to do the same highlight-copy-paste-google, tricks on say, officeworks.com.au or jbhifhi.com.au; I cant find a way to highlight the middle of a hyperlink without it wanting to drag the entire link (just to begin).

EDIT:

Here's an example Niche...

This site is fairly good at it, but even now. I cant figure out how to highlight the last word of your signature, and the blank space below it, without my browser instantly including the 'top' and 'report' buttons too.

All I was trying to experiment with was grabbing the last word of your sig, and 4 or 5 linebreaks you have,

Edited by Master_Scythe

JBhifi.com.au where they're presenting the links as non-image images?

As for my .sig, just copied/selected it no probs both double-clicking 'Kurti' and manually selecting it letter by letter.

Firefox with touchpoint.

You can't highlight the blank space below it because AFAIK it isn't actually blank text space. There's literally nothing there to select for c&p. Which may be why it keeps trying to select content below that, such as buttons or what have you.,

JBhifi.com.au where they're presenting the links as non-image images?

As for my .sig, just copied/selected it no probs both double-clicking 'Kurti' and manually selecting it letter by letter.

Firefox with touchpoint.

You can't highlight the blank space below it because AFAIK it isn't actually blank text space. There's literally nothing there to select for c&p. Which may be why it keeps trying to select content below that, such as buttons or what have you.,

I wonder what the defining point is then?

Ive tried in IE10, Waterfox, Opera, chrome and Dolphin.

It seems to be a problem affecting webkit based browsers, since Opera12 (on the PRESTO! engine) handles those line breaks and various other stuff just fine.

Considering its browser, independent and I have a fairly clean of windows 7 using only 'portable' versions of apps (minus the antivirus, which is installed)... something has to be causing this.

Opera Mini on Symbian OS selects that blank space line by line, just fine.

So does whatever that native browser on HP WebOS is.

Blackberry Browser from OS9 works.

Android seems to handle it better than windows, but not perfect.

I think i'm going to put it down to the dodgy webkit engine. Its the only thing the browsers that misbehave have in common.

Ah well. Technology sucks.