Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

M.2 SSD why on a PC board

Having read the article on the PCTA news page about Asrock extreme 6 their is a section on the M.2 SSD and its slot.

Just curios why they put this mobile SSD slot on a PC board. Can it be used for anything to speed up or some form of storage.

As these M2 boards seem more suitable to laptops and such why can you not use it as a boot up drive ,and maybe a backup of Windows for crashes and such.

Was looking around and not much seems to be available on this feature on the ASROCK boards. Only other thing i can think is a docking port for a external device.

use it as your boot drive with all your programs installed to it

m.2 is faster than sata

use it as your boot drive with all your programs installed to it

m.2 is faster than sata

That is the problem the M.2 slot was not designed for a boot drive on this board, but only used as a cache.

Somehow i think what a waste to a good idea not to implement the Boot drive feature.

You have misunderstood either the reviewer or the specifications of the Asrock Z97 Extreme6, that motherboard most assuredly can boot from the slot and it functions much faster than a regular SATA 3 SSD. Anandtech looked at it a while back and detailed UEFI OS installs as well as legacy OS support for storage access. It's a very fast storage interface, not really intended for caching:

The two M.2 slots on the Z97 Extreme6 showed the effect of the PCIe x4 device when restricted by x2 lanes and allowed to stretch its legs with x4. With peak sequential results pointing to a +50% speed-up rather than a 3.2x that the lane bandwidth suggests, this gives SSD manufacturers more headroom to work with, and users faster drives.

http://anandtech.com/show/8045/asrock-z97-...d-with-xp941/12

Did not read that link but did read the forums for TomsHardware and i also downloaded the manual for Z97 Extreme6 Motherboard.

In the manual it says it cannot be used as a boot drive ,but a cache for PCI-e or Sata dependent on the type M.2 module installed.

So either i am confused or their is still a lot of confusion on the web in regards to the usage of this slot.

Edited by codecreeper

i think i read something about them having to update the bios to get m.2 bootable maybe the manual predated that unless the asrock x4 m.2 slot is different to the 2x m.2 slot on most z97 mb which are bootable

also those that use a pci-e slot adapter in mb that dont have a m.2 slot wont be able to boot from it

Could be of good value if it was bootable or is.

You could buy a new version of Windows on a M.2 ssd pre-installed just needs to detect hardware and such. You can leave your main SSD for games and programs.

A bit like a Caddy system setup ,slot Windows out and then slot in Linux on another M.2.

Soooooooo, that 1TB mSATA SSD I just bought by mistake could be a happy mistake? How would you install it? On a PCI control card?

Soooooooo, that 1TB mSATA SSD I just bought by mistake could be a happy mistake? How would you install it? On a PCI control card?

I think they only available on Asrock boards at the moment. It requires a M.2 slot on a Z97 Extreme6 board.

PCTA front page has a article on it.

m.2 and msata are different things

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Review/39017...7-extreme6.aspx

Samsung state that system boot from the XP941 is not currently supported in a Windows PC (although it is on a Mac) which seems to defeat the whole point of such a fast drive, although as this standard becomes more widely used that can be expected to change in short order.

It's that particular Samsung drive that didn't like being booted from without lots of hurdles being overcome. Not an issue with the motherboard or slot or etc.

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Review/39017...7-extreme6.aspx

Samsung state that system boot from the XP941 is not currently supported in a Windows PC (although it is on a Mac) which seems to defeat the whole point of such a fast drive, although as this standard becomes more widely used that can be expected to change in short order.

It's that particular Samsung drive that didn't like being booted from without lots of hurdles being overcome. Not an issue with the motherboard or slot or etc.

Was just watching a Youtube from a Asus ROG guy and he mentioned a lot people having problems configuring this board. Just wonder if they selected onboard devices rather than drives to setup the m.2 drive.