Sign in to follow this  
gamble

AMD Rumors Pirate Island R300 Series

Last I heard NVIDIA was staying on 28nm due to yield issues with anything lower, perhaps that will be resolved by the launch of the 390X next year. Would be tempted to upgrade in that case.

Well I know they have to be coming soon. I entered a contest from Powercolor called name our babies. Basically they had that they were renaming there 3 tiers of cards from the current. But, they also stated that this was for the upcoming 300series line.

Excellent, my money is ready for that upgrade. :)

In all seriousness, I do think it'll be a paper launch soon then a full release before GTA V comes along. After all, AMD knows how much GTA V means to a lot of PC players.

I hope they include H.265 encode on the new cards, that would be quite the killer feature. Especially if they allow programs like HandBrake to access the functionality. Decode is almost guaranteed, I'd like that to be totally in hardware though and not a hybrid.

Haven't read up for awhile with new job and moving.... Any new leaked benchmarks? I'm just seeing old ones. This release is taking forever it seems!

Edited by gamble

E3 should be when the NDA from the cards should be lifted. I remember some of the review sites are already getting ready for the PC gaming conference in E3. That should be our best indication on what the Radeon Fury will be like...

here is another unreliable leak

specs.jpg

looks a bit sad seems its between 980 and 980ti at 2560 but catches up at 4k

price is also much the same as 980ti

power use is similar to 290x

all there other re brand cards are stupidly expensive to so amd has gone from good value to bad value for the moment

• Like 1

I can only hope drivers help improve their performance against other options.

There is one of those common misconceptions about AMD having bad drivers. From what I've seen, older GPU's performance from AMD such as 7970 have improved over the years due to better optimization by AMD, while NVIDIA have not spent as much time on drivers for older cards and as such cards like the 680 haven't improved as much. Then again, I suppose another way of looking at it, maybe NVIDIA drivers were already better optimized at launch.

Techspot benchmarks games using a whole suite of graphics cards, the gap between 7970 and 680 has increased since launch with 7970 going ahead. You don't require the GHz edition for the 7970 to be faster than 680 in most situations, with higher settings putting the 7970 ahead. Also the GHz edition is now pulling ahead of the 780 in some games too. I'm rocking a 7950 Boost State and I can still play modern games very comfortably on my 1920x1200 monitor, thanks to driver improvements my card outperforms a 680 in some situations.

So I'm hoping that the performance of the Fiji Fury improves over time and hopefully starting soon. Too expensive for performance at the moment.

Edited by fabman_uk
  • Like 1

Few things:

(Not even going to talk about the 300 series rebrands, price is stupid and benefits are slim)

1. Seems like a good card but priced slightly too high and should sit between 980 and ti. Should be $600US max

2. Its using AIO and is running in mid 60s, I wonder how the all air cards will be on temp? Thought this would run high 50's just hoping the air version will feature 3rd party coolers. (Edit: Looks like some are running in the 50's..)

3. No memory OC (yet).

4. Only 10% OC on core it seems. Wheres all this extra OC headroom that AMD mentioned with over engineering and stuff?

5. Voltage still locked on core.

6. Drivers seem very raw or not optimized... Hope they improve like fabman mentioned. Several sites listed different beta drivers for different games within the same review. There seems to be no true official driver.

7. Edit: Power? Some show same as 980ti or close to it, anyone have more power details??

The air version or non X might be the better model to get if it can hold core clocks in gaming while not cooking to death. If it can give the same Fury X performance for the price (or close to) of the 980 non ti, it might be a good option. With the AIO it might have drove the price up, but might be necessary to keep it cool. At $550US the air version might be a good option (GTX 980 going around $500US) but the GTX 980 can OC like crazy, sip power, and stay cool with air... it will be interesting.

Edited by gamble

apparently 370 is supposed to be $149 rrp and 270 $179

but the 370 starts at $216 so it has a lot of room to drop and it needs to since the 270 is a better gpu

us rrp\ actual au

380 2g $199 \ $299

380 4g $??? \ $314

285 2g $249 \ $249

280 3g $279 \ $239 if all these cards were equal price i would go this one

gtx960 2g $249

280x 3g $??? \ $323

390x 8g $429 \ $599

390 8g $329 \ $487

290x 4g $549 \ $409

290 4g $399 \ $369

gtx970 3.5g $426

Edited by Dasa

Remember Dasa, that they don't need to pay tax until they get to the checkout. So adding a 10% tax would be borderline on equal with us here realistically.

Overall, it's a bit of a mixed bag for the Fury thus far. However, given that AMD did say that the Fury was designed to be played at 4k, it seems like a win there. Once they sort out drivers, it can only get better. Despite what the masses say, I have to say that most of the optimisations AMD has done really worked well. As fabman noted, the 7970 received a lot of optimisations to still be decent today. Heck, the R9 290 I have is still going to get a lot of optimisations thanks to the rebrand into the R9 390. So I think the Fury is only running on bare before AMD really crank up the optimisations.

• Like 2

So Fury is a little bit of a disappointment, but it's a good start. Maxwell was a huge leap in perf/watt, Fiji/Fury is almost as good a step up too. In fact the only AMD card to be in amongst the GeForces on perf/watt along with the 270X

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_Fury_X/32.html

The Fury Nano should be even better on perf/watt, am keeping a keen eye out for that one. Also the Fury X2 should once again claim the single card performance crown unless Nvidia decides to counter with its own dualy.

To be fair though, the Fury is their first GPU with the new architecture, Maxwell has had a few generations to mature the drivers on now, so hopefully AMD can close the gap driver side.

That being said, bring on 14nm. I'm over all this 28nm stuff, time to move on. 28nm down to 14nm, this could be the biggest jump in transistor counts in history for descrete GPUs. Imagine a Fury with like 12,000 shaders....

Edited by mark84
  • Like 1

Remember Dasa, that they don't need to pay tax until they get to the checkout. So adding a 10% tax would be borderline on equal with us here realistically.

how does that make up for the 50% price increase over us rrp making the newer cards much more expensive than what they are supposed to be replacing when in some cases they are slower

mind you its not as bad as the samsung micro sd cards im currently looking at apparently $22.99us=$99.95au for MicroSDXC 64GB EVO Memory Card with Adapter

Edited by Dasa

how does that make up for the 50% price increase over us rrp making the newer cards much more expensive than what they are supposed to be replacing when in some cases they are slower

mind you its not as bad as the samsung micro sd cards im currently looking at apparently $22.99us=$99.95au for MicroSDXC 64GB EVO Memory Card with Adapter

I think you're missing the point here Dasa. There is a bloody reason why we're more expensive and I'll break it down here.

Let's assume a Fury X video card which retails 600 USD given the current prices.

1) AMD Australia sets the price in accordance to the exchange rate which is probably 0.75 USD to 1 AUD. That jumps the price to about 800AUD already.

2) The supplier then gets a shipment in. Usually, these things are Air Freighted down to Australia, not cargo shipped as you would think. So that adds an additional 100 AUD due to inventory storage and transportation costs to the airline.

3) After this, the stores need to have a profit so they mark it up since this is a new product. That adds another 100 AUD which surprise, surprise is the RRP for the Fury.

Now, all of the above are estimates and I've seen how economics of the above work. If you want more details, it'll better to PM for this.

Oh, BTW about the flash, that's a totally different thing all together.

my point is the older models (r9 270-290) are not so significantly marked up in au vs us (only when first released) while the replacements are (ok maybe not significantly)

the us rrp includes importing and store profits for them sure they get a much larger quantity which helps but the price of older cards show that its possible for prices to come down to a level that doesnt require extra profit margin for the au stores

i expect the price of amd cards to drop in au if not the new cards are a step backwards in value

the fury x is to expensive at the moment in the us and au im afraid its just a case of amd failing vs nvidia 980ti

maybe things will improve it will be interesting to see air cooled fury reviews as gtx980 is a much easier target

Edited by Dasa

Looks like some people are having good results with OC on the HBM... 100mhz = 20% OC and gave a good boost in performance. I ordered one but then canceled since I really didnt need it but changed order to monitor instead :)

The prices we see in the US are pre-tax aren't they, so if we add their tax to it first and then convert to AUD, will that not show a more accurate price? $650 + 7% = $695.50 converted to AUS dollar is $925.20. AMD have put the Fiji Fury at a recommended price of $999, so an extra $73.50, or less than 8% extra. Shouldn't be anything extra, but not as harsh as some software and probably compensates for the lower sales per region for shipping.

• Like 1